Durham Region Transit

DRT

ICAMI (In case anyone missed it), Durham Region Transit (DRT) will be running a reduced schedule (which is uncommon) on the week of December 23rd to 27th (with a special schedule on certain bus routes on the 25th of December):

Monday, Dec. 23 – Saturday schedule
Tuesday, Dec. 24 – Saturday schedule
Wednesday, Dec. 25 – Special schedule (for certain bus routes)
Thursday, Dec. 26 – Sunday schedule
Friday, Dec. 27 – Saturday schedule

I would imagine if someone got used to the regular schedule - not knowing that their route doesn't operate on those dates! For me on the other hand - I'll be working from home on those days (other than the 25th and 26th of December).

5 hours ago, John Oke said:

For some reason on Transsee only the 900 and 915 are tracking I’m assuming it has to do with limited service on some routes with today being Christmas 

52CC1225-91A1-4C23-B54C-20286F62F4C6.png

UPDATE: It’s working again for all routes as of 8:56 pm

Don't forget that some of the routes are on a Saturday schedule for this Friday - meaning that some of the routes that normally operate on a weekday may either have hours reduced or won't run at all.

This is only temporary (for this week) and service will be resumed regularly next week (December 30th and 31st (with special service that day after 7pm) and after new years day).

Some passengers are not pleased with the sudden change for this week (they have to work) and as a last resort, they have to drive to the GO station or even take an Uber/Lyft to it!

Lots of service changes proposed for 2020. Overall an impressive slate covering the region: 

• 101, 112: Extended to Pickering Parkway Terminal
  • 103, 232: Reduced to peak only service
  • 107: Replaced by On-Demand service
  • 110: Extended to Rouge Hill Station
  • 111: Cancelled, with sections along Fieldlight Dr replaced by route 112
  • 112: Extended in peak periods to Tauton (I'm assuming over to Burkholder Dr)
  • 217, 219, 223: Saturday service in Ajax reduced to every 60 minutes
  • 226: Cancelled, replaced with 291 community bus service
  • 304: Modified to service Windfield Farms
  • 312: Modified to operate along Garden between Tauton and Dundas
  • 315: New route in Whitby to service new neighbourhoods beside Hwy 412, peak periods only
  • 401: Replaced by new 901 Pulse service in December 2020
  • 402: Replaced by new 902 service in September 2020
  • 409: Service after 9pm cancelled
  • 410, 411: Peak service extended to Oshawa Station
  • 410: Added to the High Frequency Network
  • 414: Cancelled
  • 422: Extended to Whitby Station to replace route 922 along this stretch
  • 501, 502: Saturday service reduced to every 60 minutes
  • 506: Replaced by On-Demand (657)
  • 601: Replaced by On-Demand (652)
  • 657: New On-Demand in Clarington, replacing 506
  • 900: Articulated buses will run along some trips Monday-Saturday
  • 902: New route replacing route 402 and GO route 90, running between Oshawa Station and West Bowmanville Mall
  • 910: Extended to Ajax Station along Bayly
  • 915: Won't operate to Durham College during the summer (June-September)
  • 922: Cancelled and replaced by modifications to route 422 and 411
  • 960: Replaced by on-demand service between Uxbridge and Mount Albert
  • New weekend route running between Ajax Station, Rouge National Park, and Toronto Zoo
  • New on-demand pilots in Whitby Shores and Seaton

More details: https://calendar.durham.ca/meetings/Detail/2020-01-08-1330-Transit-Executive-Committee-Meeting/a0942a89-d0c1-44ab-bf92-ab3600f1cfb9

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Wow, big year coming for Durham Region Transit.

This is their 2020 service plan, not going to talk about bus purchases because they're all in the ICIP funding which I talked about earlier in this thread.

Starting with discontinued routes

Discontinued Routes

107, 111, 226, 401, 402, 414, 506, 601, 922, 960

Major Service Reductions

103, 217, 223, 225, 232, 302, 303, 304, 308, 409, 501, 502

Service Improvements

101 - Service extended to Pickering Parkway Terminal

110 - Peak service extended to Rouge Hill GO

112 - Routing modified to serve Pickering Parkway Terminal and the Fieldlight neighbourhood.

215 - Added AM Peak trips

223 - Sunday service west of Ajax Station improved to every 30 minutes.

291 - Service extended to Ajax Station and additional weekday peak and Sunday trips to make up for service lost on the 226 and 232

304 - All trips to Durham College

312 - Service to operate on Garden between Taunton and Dundas

403 - Added RAD bus to help with terrible service reliability

405 - Additional Trips

410 - Service in peak periods is extended to Oshawa GO to provide more options for people off the train. Service on Sunday improved to every 30 minutes and added to the High Frequency Network.

411 - Service in peak periods to operate via Oshawa GO (somehow) replacing the parts of the 922 in Courtice. I'm not sure if its also extended to Harmony Terminal but I doubt it.

422 - Service extended to Whitby GO along Victoria, Replacing that part of the 922 in Oshawa and Whitby.

910 - Service is (FINALLY) extended to Ajax Station via Victoria/Bayly.  This is why service on the 223 is reduced east of Ajax GO.  The route is also now operated by Westney Division.

915 - Additional trips added during the post secondary period (September to April).

200z - New seasonal route operating on weekend and holidays between May and October between Ajax Station, Rouge Park, and Toronto Zoo.

Service Growth

112 - Service extended into Seaton

304 - Modified to operate in Windfield Farms

315 - New weekday peak period route, serving the West Whitby new growth area.

417 - Service to operate on Britannia instead of Conlin between Simcoe and Ritson

902 - New route replacing the 402 and the One fare agreement on GO Transit route 90. Operating between Oshawa Station, Oshawa Centre Terminal, and Bowmanville (King and Sampson).  GO is apparently cancelled come September probably being replaced by the 91.

On Demand Expansion

107 - Service to be replaced by On Demand in April.

652 - Is replacing 601

655 - Uxbridge/Mount Albert replacing the 960, hopefully its going to be more than just a connection to YRT 58 and Mobility on Request Mount Albert.

657 - Clarington, replaced the 506 but also adds On Demand service to ALL areas of Rural Clarington and Durham Region as a whole.

Extra Stuff

Also in September the articulated buses (9100-9105) will enter service Monday - Saturday on the 900 replacing the run as directed PULSE buses from Westney and Richmond and Ontario but overall schedule remains the same.

In December the 401 Simcoe is going be directly replicated by route 901 PULSE Simcoe, the service will be identical but operated by 8 new PULSE Buses coming this year (7104-7111 presumably).

Then there's some "Innovations"

In June PWTransit will be providing a pilot service using an autonomous shuttle between Whitby GO and Port of Whitby, replacing that part of the 922.

In April, Metrolinx and DRT will launch a "Premium" OnDemand service for passengers travelling to and from Pickering GO to anywhere in Pickering, south of Taunton Road.  Not quite sure what makes it premium.

Overall, what a great year for DRT, super exited to see the 200z, 901 and 902, but sad to see all the service decreases, but you gotta fund the service somehow. 

Link to the report here: https://calendar.durham.ca/meetings/Detail/2020-01-08-1330-Transit-Executive-Committee-Meeting/a0942a89-d0c1-44ab-bf92-ab3600f1cfb9

Discuss.

I added a more detailed and more accurate version in my recent post 

Not sure which "partner" will be offering the premium OnDemand service. I'm hoping that Facedrive (which is sorta like Uber and Lyft) or RideCo (as it had a similar partnership with Grand River Transit) will offer such a service.

As for 223 Bayly, I wonder how the Saturday service west of Ajax GO will play a role....

I live south of Taunton, North of Rossland and between Anderson and Garden. The 312 re-route will help in my area, the elimination of the 304 Peak hour short turns is a little annoying and may become an issue with service reliability the service start an hour later on Sundays isn’t that bad as well the extra trippers on the 915 may help with overcrowding on it. Because the worse time for overcrowding on that route is between 2 and 5pm because the 2 High Schools along the route Maxwell Heights H.S. And Sinclair S.S. get out and most classes at DC and Ontario Tech finish it will be the busiest non-PULSE route after the 401 and 402 are converted to BRT as well it can get unreliable at times because there will be 2 busses within 2-4 minutes and then there won’t another one for another 25min. Service reliability needs to be addressed on the 915 

On 1/3/2020 at 12:35 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

Durham Live at Squire Beach Road will likely be a significant ridership generator, that’s actually mentioned further up in the report.

Thanks for your reply.

It would have been nice - if transit service was offered along Lakeridge Rd. That way, it would have made commuting to/from the ski resorts (i.e. Dagmar, Skyloft, Lakeridge) much easier. Until then, you will have to find an Uber or Lyft to/from the resorts. Only problem is, not all Uber/Lyft drivers aren't willing to take the long commute there (especially with someone with ski/snowboard gear). My only (hopeful) solution is this - post a ride using a service like Poparide or Kangaride.

Which reminds me - for the "premium" OnDemand ride service pilot in Pickering, these are the potential "candidates" for the providers will be:

• Poparide
  • Kangaride
  • RideCo
  • Facedrive

I would have added Uber to the list (as they had a similar case in Innisfil), but I prefer adding something that is operated by a "local" and "all-Canadian" provider.

1 hour ago, 110B West Pickering said:

OnDemand on route 651 Uxbridge is offered to Dagmar, Skyloft and Lakeridge.

as for Premium OnDemand, I’ve asked my contact at DRT about it, otherwise I’ll ask about it at my next Transit Advisory Committee Meeting on the 21st.

Only problem is, those coming from the southern part (south of Taunton that is) are "so out of luck".  Didn't know 651 Uxbridge serves that locale. As for the scheduling if the 651 operates on the weekends - I just don't know.

3 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

OnDemand on route 651 Uxbridge is offered to Dagmar, Skyloft and Lakeridge.

as for Premium OnDemand, I’ve asked my contact at DRT about it, otherwise I’ll ask about it at my next Transit Advisory Committee Meeting on the 21st.

I realized that there's one other provider that is a potential candidate - Via (not to be confused with the train).

I suppose you are right about south of Taunton, you’d have to get to Uxbridge first.

the 651 operates 5-8 on weekdays and 9-5 on weekends

It wouldn't be ideal for someone with ski/snowboard gear to take the GO bus to Uxbridge and catch the meeting point for the 651 (and back)!

Until DRT can offer "plans" for the future to expand OnDemand service south of Taunton, I guess that I have to Uber or Lyft to the ski resorts (or find someone to take me).

• 2 weeks later...

Still with my thought on the OnDemand service in the northern part of Durham Region - if DRT wanted to invest heavily on expanding their OnDemand service boundaries to serve the "edge" of Taunton Rd., then they need to organize consultations.

It would have been nice for me to organize a "petition" demand DRT to expand the OnDemand boundaries but sadly, petitions are often get "silenced".

I always wanted to check out the Dagmar, Skyloft and Lakeridge ski resorts as part of my bucket list, but until DRT get serious about expanding the popularity of their OnDemand service, I will have to take an Uber/Lyft to and from the ski resorts (regrettably, not all the drivers aren't willing to take the extra length for the convenience of transporting someone with ski/snowboarding gear and so on...) or let someone take me there.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S9

12 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Still with my thought on the OnDemand service in the northern part of Durham Region - if DRT wanted to invest heavily on expanding their OnDemand service boundaries to serve the "edge" of Taunton Rd., then they need to organize consultations.

It would have been nice for me to organize a "petition" demand DRT to expand the OnDemand boundaries but sadly, petitions are often get "silenced".

I always wanted to check out the Dagmar, Skyloft and Lakeridge ski resorts as part of my bucket list, but until DRT get serious about expanding the popularity of their OnDemand service, I will have to take an Uber/Lyft to and from the ski resorts (regrettably, not all the drivers aren't willing to take the extra length for the convenience of transporting someone with ski/snowboarding gear and so on...) or let someone take me there.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S9

My step mom's family used to own Dagmar Resort before they sold it off in the late 2000's. They were consulted on a similar concept pitched by APTA. Dagmar put out a survey that garnered little support, causing the service to never get off the ground. It's an interesting idea, and while I support it, I don't believe it's feasible at this point in time. Most people that ski + snowboard tend to prefer driving their own vehicles.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin
On 1/23/2020 at 11:36 AM, 110B West Pickering said:

8512, 8577, and 8981 are the first the buses to pilot the new PRESTO Devices.

interesting that they’re all Whitby units considering their recent fleet shortage, which is now reached a level of 12 buses. 

saying that, they might decide to order some the Hybrids and Electrics May end up being growth rather than replacements. Total 19 buses

Do you have any pictures of how these devices are installed?

13 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

8512 and 8981 just re-entered service yesterday, I don’t yet have photos of them, but I’ll let you know if I find any Jan.

Does Oakville have any yet? 

Was talking to an Oakville Op yesterday and apparently not yet, these will be installed later this year. 

• Root Admin
19 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

8512 and 8981 just re-entered service yesterday, I don’t yet have photos of them, but I’ll let you know if I find any Jan.

Does Oakville have any yet? 

The installation is delayed. We have one in the training department, but i'm not sure if we have any devices on the property to be installed on any buses yet. We will have two buses for now. It was supposed to be 10 but it has changed... could change again though. Install should start mid-February.

5 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT is now leasing at least on Ex-Miway D40LF.  DRT 1001 is operating in Whitby during their fleet shortage.

The bus is on lease to Durham Region Transit not Pacific Western, but is still being stored at the Whitby facility.

It does not have INIT or PRESTO

10131C12-F215-43F2-AC47-200355A02949.jpeg

17213C3C-D7F3-4B8F-8B29-C894AFD9EDBC.jpeg

496D5971-E8E1-4DD7-B2F4-F835792886ED.jpeg

0A753035-1705-4DF1-AE1D-BD0141411698.jpeg

Of course the one day I’ll be running late for school this bus will show up on the 303 and I’ll won’t be able to use my presto

8 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT is now leasing at least on Ex-Miway D40LF.  DRT 1001 is operating in Whitby during their fleet shortage.

The bus is on lease to Durham Region Transit not Pacific Western, but is still being stored at the Whitby facility.

Did you happen to get the VIN or find out the former number?

• Root Admin

10131C12-F215-43F2-AC47-200355A02949.jpeg

496D5971-E8E1-4DD7-B2F4-F835792886ED.jpeg

0A753035-1705-4DF1-AE1D-BD0141411698.jpeg

Jordan, that bus is ex-Mississauga Transit #0337. Owned by MBTC of Mississauga. They purchased a few of these 03s and this one is the only repainted unit so far that I know about, which operated in Stratford for a short while. 

I just got an update that there should be 4 leased buses. The reason for the leased buses is the region is having major issues with the Whitby contractor. At the moment, they have quite a number of buses out of service they haven’t been able to fix. As a result they have “borrowed” half dozen or more buses from Oshawa, and Oshawa has been using Pulse buses daily on local routes. 

This information is from a reliable source/friend. 

• Thanks 4