Durham Region Transit

DRT

On 9/20/2017 at 11:40 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

Liam Hatch, cooperate communications for Durham Region Transit Commission,

email him yourself at

liam.hatch@durham.ca or tweet him @durham_transit on tweeter, he was able to get ahold of the 2018 fleet plan document from maintenance and opperations

Cool, do you have a copy you can post, or no?

6 hours ago, ADB said:

Did DRT get to refurbishing the 2004+ Nova LFS buses? Or did they decide to just leave them until they are replaced next year?

They did some sort of light refurbishment, but no major overhauls.

2 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

I know the 83’s weren’t so I’d assume the rest weren’t either

The 83xx's are in poorer conditions, wasn't worth their time

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT, Ministry on Infastructure  and Ministry of Transportation are holding a media even on Tuesday at Salem Road and Kingston Road, likely to announce funding for the next phase of the Scarborough Durham BRT or something along those lines

How long is it from?

2 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Not quite sure, my email just says it starts at 9 am at the northwest corner of Salem and Highway 2 Pulse Stop

Strange, considering theres also a Metrolinx event happening that day also, in Ajax at the Community Centre, from 6:30 - 9 PM

9 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Not quite sure, my email just says it starts at 9 am at the northwest corner of Salem and Highway 2 Pulse Stop

The announcement could very well have to do with the PULSE. Could it be that DRT service will finally reach Scarborough Centre? More bus lanes - perhaps for the entire length of Highway 2? Are new artics coming to the route? Or nothing more than more service or increased frequencies?

3 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

The announcement could very well have to do with the PULSE. Could it be that DRT service will finally reach Scarborough Centre? More bus lanes - perhaps for the entire length of Highway 2? Are new artics coming to the route? Or nothing more than more service or increased frequencies?

Considering that the Ministry of Infrastructure is involved in the press conference, it's very likely that it will be some expansion of the bus-only lanes as part of the Durham-Scarborough BRT, as @110B West Pickering mentioned in his original post. The dedicated lanes end immediately east of the intersection the press conference is being held at.

The Province would not trot out 2 ministers to announce the extension of a bus route two municipalities over, especially when there would be no capital investment (buses would run in mixed traffic to STC, and Pulse would use existing facilities there). As the Province does not fund operating costs or bus purchases (outside of the gas tax), it would not be related to an increase in frequency, or an order of articulated buses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing not noted above is that tomorrow’s announcement involves the Federal Minister of Infrastructure, not the provincial one, with the federal MP for Ajax apparently representing him.  If the list of people in the media invite posted above is complete, the only provincial representative is the MPP for Durham (e.g. the riding immediately east of Oshawa). Seems an odd mix for an announcement for Pulse phase 2 starting.  Del Duca will show up for a Tim Horton’s being added to a GO station but not for a Pulse expansion?

We’ll see tomorrow I guess..

Here's the announcement - approval of the previously announced contribution of roughly $990,000 of federal infrastructure money towards a total of four new buses.  

https://www.canada.ca/en/office-infrastructure/news/2017/10/governments_of_canadaandontarioinvestinpublictransitindurhamregi.html

Anyone feeling underwhelmed? :-)

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Very much so, 4 growth busses is still 4 growth as long as they don’t put anything into early retirement 

Im a little lost here. Where in that article does it say anything about these 4 buses being growth buses?

12 hours ago, DavidH said:

Here's the announcement - approval of the previously announced contribution of roughly $990,000 of federal infrastructure money towards a total of four new buses.  

https://www.canada.ca/en/office-infrastructure/news/2017/10/governments_of_canadaandontarioinvestinpublictransitindurhamregi.html

Hum... they need a whole bunch of VIPs to hear that just 4 new buses are coming? Such an announcement might be noteworthy if they weren't just any ordinary 40-footers. I was expecting them to at least announce some major expansion to the PULSE infrastructure, like extending bus lanes or upgrading stops - perhaps even implementing off-board fare collection like VIVA does.

And if DRT needed new buses, they could just turn to MTPI, and even if the federal government was involved in this, they shouldn't have to hold a press conference for this totally insignificant and unnotable change. I believe the artics are coming soon... or wait, maybe the 4 new buses here are the artics - the very first to operate in Durham Region. Or maybe the new buses would be different in some other way... there's no reason to rule out electric buses, and it seems even more likely now thanks in part to Oshawa's leading role in the EV market.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:34 AM, DavidH said:

Not an election year that is why

Due to OPSEU strike action, the current contingency plans are in place.

Also, the 401 Simcoe will resume regular routing on Simcoe north between Rossland and Beatrice on Tuesday October 17th

10.13.17 DC Labour Action 2.pdf

10.13.17 DC Labour Action.pdf

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎16 at 7:20 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

This article says that they are in addition to the 24 vehicles on order (8566-8589) in which case I’d assume these would be 8590-8593

24 Nova LFS ?, According to my information it would have 13 Nova for Durhan for this end years

On 10/19/2017 at 3:08 AM, Seb_CITL said:

24 Nova LFS ?, According to my information it would have 13 Nova for Durhan for this end years

I would be under the assumption that the speculated 11, would appear next year (2018)

16 hours ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

No Nova Artics on order anymore?

No, not in the foreseeable future atleast.

5 hours ago, J. Bullock said:

I would be under the assumption that the speculated 11, would appear next year (2018)

No, not in the foreseeable future atleast.

If there is no confirmation of the 11 buses, why are we even discussing them.

• Like 1