Durham Region Transit

DRT

• 2 months later...

Pardon the bump...
I recall when looking through proposals for the 2017 SErvice Plan and what would be coming in September. 
Apart from the 900, 915 and 916 frequency improvements, I'm wondering about how the 'new' 408 and 409 would operate. I do understand that the new 409 would be on Gerrard for most of its time until it reaches Taunton. Would it conceivably become the 408 at Thornton/Taunton to Oshawa Centre, or is the 409 retaining that number all the way down to OC via Thornton, Rossland & Stevenson, in the way it does now? If so, how or what would the 408 be doing generally? Peak route?

Good news. Just got this email from corporate services of Durham Region:

the Region recently awarded a contract amendment to INIT for the GTFS-RT (GTFS-Real Time) module. A timeline for delivery and installation is being worked out, but anticipated to be ready within the next couple months.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

I said since the 8600’s not bigger than the ordered

I wonder if he knows that i'm kidding and am merely doing it to give you a hard time for your grammar B)

6 hours ago, Ashmerlinoth said:

Do you really feel better about snarkily (and incorrectly) correcting someone on a freakin' transit comment thread? Time to get some fresh air, dude..

I do, actually. Glad you noticed!

On 6/30/2017 at 2:07 PM, BrandonC said:

Good news. Just got this email from corporate services of Durham Region:

the Region recently awarded a contract amendment to INIT for the GTFS-RT (GTFS-Real Time) module. A timeline for delivery and installation is being worked out, but anticipated to be ready within the next couple months.

Module.. are we talking a live times uploaded to pre-existing apps (Google, Transit, etc) or a separate mobile application all together?

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/RiderInfo/Pages/2018-Service-Plan-Surveys.aspx

Also, some interesting surveys you can partake on for Ajax's Church St. and the South Whitby service areas.

Interesting to note that one of the options offered in S. Whitby is a "demand response" service, similar to the service Whitby Transit ran way back in the day for that exact area.

7 hours ago, BrandonC said:

Yes. Actually I think it will include the live GPS coordinates of each bus the way TTC and some GO buses now have.

Yes! And they should put in LED displays at major terminals and bus stops - especially at DC/UOIT where students seem to be waiting forever for their trip home.

4 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Yes! And they should put in LED displays at major terminals and bus stops - especially at DC/UOIT where students seem to be waiting forever for their trip home.

I read something in a service analysis a few years ago that included something like that, classified as "street furniture" or whatever. However, i'd be in favour of just real-time updates to an app, seems everyones connected on a smartphone these days (including myself). DRT would need to advertise a little better for such an app, they really bombed selling Triplinx and DRTonline... which, by the way runs off realtime data.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2017 at 1:50 PM, J. Bullock said:

DRT's Fall Service Changes are out as of today.

http://www.durhamregiontransit.com/Maps/Pages/September-4-Service-Adjustments-.aspx

Discuss.

The one thing I've noticed is that hte 305, 408 and 409 loop clocksise using Dryden, /Thicksen and Taunton. 

Schedule wise, the 408 and 409 on weekdays are hourly whereas the 305 is also half-hour except for peak-periods. Any potential for interlining @ Taunton? 

I see this new 420 as underwhelming and very small service area. Would it make more sense for the 417 to take over the 420 service area and combine it as one route?

Lastly, fo rhte late night services. If anyone who's on Pulse that wants one of those Late Night Shuttles in Pickering, Ajax or Whitby and asks the PUlse Operator for the intent to transfer, supposing if the shuttles aren't near Kingston Road/Dundas Street for the transfer. Just a long wait or would those shuttles have to be sent close to Kingston/Dundas for those transfers?  What if there aren't any transfers needed at Kingston/Dundas from those GO Stations without Pulse needed? Pardon for so many questions, but listing those scenarios out there in case if that's happened and what the procedures are.

On 8/6/2017 at 4:13 PM, newflyerinvero said:

The one thing I've noticed is that hte 305, 408 and 409 loop clocksise using Dryden, /Thicksen and Taunton. 

Schedule wise, the 408 and 409 on weekdays are hourly whereas the 305 is also half-hour except for peak-periods. Any potential for interlining @ Taunton? 

I see this new 420 as underwhelming and very small service area. Would it make more sense for the 417 to take over the 420 service area and combine it as one route?

Lastly, fo rhte late night services. If anyone who's on Pulse that wants one of those Late Night Shuttles in Pickering, Ajax or Whitby and asks the PUlse Operator for the intent to transfer, supposing if the shuttles aren't near Kingston Road/Dundas Street for the transfer. Just a long wait or would those shuttles have to be sent close to Kingston/Dundas for those transfers?  What if there aren't any transfers needed at Kingston/Dundas from those GO Stations without Pulse needed? Pardon for so many questions, but listing those scenarios out there in case if that's happened and what the procedures are.

1) Seeing as those routes are operated by different divisions (305-Wentworth, 409-Raleigh) I doubt that an interline would make much sense, unless Raleigh picked up some runs (which is unlikely, because Wentworth is still a contract division)

2) 420 service is being introduced now, but will expand service when the Britannia West subdivision builds up (Similarly to the east side of Britannia) Britannia is expected to be a main thoroughfare for that area (according to city plans) similar to Coldstream.

3) Shuttles are drop off only from the GO stations, after the GO Station, there are no pick ups along the route. Similar to Oakville's drop off service. However, i'm sure that exceptions have been made.

Related to the upcoming service changes, it got me to wondering why other routes, say the ones in Oshawa to which in my mind can use some frequency boosts.
403 - Park, 410 - Olive-Harmony & 402 - King. 
At least with the 402 it'll be part of the High Frequency Network in a few years. But until then, it will as well as the others I've mentioned, still be slagging behind and having maximum 30 minute services.
Does a route need to be a part of the High Frequency Network to be given that priority?  Would the 402, 403 and 410 not be given any share of a frequency improvement because it's not part of the HFN?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 1:50 PM, newflyerinvero said:

Related to the upcoming service changes, it got me to wondering why other routes, say the ones in Oshawa to which in my mind can use some frequency boosts.

403 - Park, 410 - Olive-Harmony & 402 - King. 

At least with the 402 it'll be part of the High Frequency Network in a few years. But until then, it will as well as the others I've mentioned, still be slagging behind and having maximum 30 minute services.

Does a route need to be a part of the High Frequency Network to be given that priority?  Would the 402, 403 and 410 not be given any share of a frequency improvement because it's not part of the HFN?

The ridership doesn't support those routes to be classified in the HFN yet (I would question if they ever would be). Yes, those buses do bring in near-full bus loads in peak periods, but ridership drops off outside of these peak periods. HFN routes such as the Pulse or 401 see a constant flow of riders throughout all hours of the day.

The route does not need to be classified in the HFN to have improved headways, the 910 will start running at 15 minute headways during peak periods starting Tuesday... the 910 is not an HFN route.

• 3 weeks later...

Given that here would be the 24 Novas due in for the end of the year, would this be almost the full retirement of the 2nd Generation series (the rest of the 81's) and 8324-29? Any scheduled for refurbishment too?
If that isn't the case, perhaps the D40LF fleet may be dented into in terms of retirements. If memory serves, I don't think there have been any that have been sent for refurbishment. Perhaps the oldest D40LFs may be targeted for retirement. Any specifics if there are any known?

15 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Given that here would be the 24 Novas due in for the end of the year, would this be almost the full retirement of the 2nd Generation series (the rest of the 81's) and 8324-29? Any scheduled for refurbishment too?

If that isn't the case, perhaps the D40LF fleet may be dented into in terms of retirements. If memory serves, I don't think there have been any that have been sent for refurbishment. Perhaps the oldest D40LFs may be targeted for retirement. Any specifics if there are any known?

Remember this is only a speculation, Nick. To my knowledge, there has been no talks of retirement/replacement of any buses. All remaining 815x and 8160 have been refurbished, 61 was refurbished after the garage incident. As of right now, I have no information on the status of those 04 units, someone who has more information might be able to better clarify. 

In my speculation, I don't think any of those early 84xx's will be taken off the road. A garage shuffle could be possible though; in the past, buses in rougher shape tend to go to Whitby, while the newer ones are sent to Raleigh, Westney gets a mixmatch of whatever. Also keep in mind that with that with the expansion of the HFN network through the new year, I doubt they would retire buses in good condition that would be needed for service expansion, if they did, it would decrease the spare ratio.

4 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

As per the DRT 2017 January 19th TEC Meeting

pdf.aspx?id=21223

13 2017 Novas for delivery by fall 2017 and 11 by March 31st 2018

will replace the oldest 24 vehicles in the fleet

if that’s the case it will take out all 81 and 83xx’s

and 2 D40LF’s.

We will have to see what happens, but that’s whats assumed by reports provided by DRT to the TEC

Link is broken.

12 hours ago, J. Bullock said:

Remember this is only a speculation, Nick. To my knowledge, there has been no talks of retirement/replacement of any buses. All remaining 815x and 8160 have been refurbished, 61 was refurbished after the garage incident. As of right now, I have no information on the status of those 04 units, someone who has more information might be able to better clarify. 

In my speculation, I don't think any of those early 84xx's will be taken off the road. A garage shuffle could be possible though; in the past, buses in rougher shape tend to go to Whitby, while the newer ones are sent to Raleigh, Westney gets a mixmatch of whatever. Also keep in mind that with that with the expansion of the HFN network through the new year, I doubt they would retire buses in good condition that would be needed for service expansion, if they did, it would decrease the spare ratio.

Yes Jon thanks for pointing that out. Yes it was speculation on my part. Guess we'll see how things work out when all of those Novas due arrive to see how the fleet works out.

Edited by newflyerinvero
Wrong information and other updates.

On 9/19/2017 at 2:04 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

Just got further confirmation that 8171 was forgotten in his text

all Novas and 1 D40LF

also a big fleet shift will happen

not all Novas will go to Ralleigh

13-Raleigh

5-Wentworth

6-Westney is the plan with D40LF’s and XD40’s being shifted around

Where is your proof that this "big fleet shift" will happen?

• Root Admin

In an email I received from a well trusted insider...

Twenty four new Novas are expected to be delivered in two bunches before March 2018, and will effectively retire the 23 2002-2006 Novas from the fleet.  This will make the oldest 40 foot conventional buses in the DRT the 2006 Flyer D40LF's which were the first new buses bought when DRT was formed January 2006. With their arrival there should be a number of changes to the current fleet allocation and new Novas are expected to be dispersed to all divisions, including Ajax that has never operated Novas. Some will also go to Pacific Western as well.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Jan Boic said:

In an email I received from a well trusted insider...

Twenty four new Novas are expected to be delivered in two bunches before March 2018, and will effectively retire the 23 2002-2006 Novas from the fleet.  This will make the oldest 40 foot conventional buses in the DRT the 2006 Flyer D40LF's which were the first new buses bought when DRT was formed January 2006. With their arrival there should be a number of changes to the current fleet allocation and new Novas are expected to be dispersed to all divisions, including Ajax that has never operated Novas. Some will also go to Pacific Western as well.

Thanks for the confirmation.