Durham Region Transit

DRT

Hi all,

It has come to my attention that a lot of these forums, including this one, is being monitored by Durham Region Transit corporate folk. A lot of members have been posting speculations (including myself) which has angered some management employees at DRT. Also, members from the board have been named "by name"   (yes, first and last ). I just wanted to give you all a heads up and to remember to be mindful of what you're posting. Make sure you distinguish SPECULATiONS & CONFIRMED INFORMATION

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2016 at 4:53 PM, J. Bullock said:

Anybody know of the state of 8626? It was parked at Simcoe and Bond last night around 2:30am. It was left off, doors open, with three smashed side windows. Phone was dead at the time, couldn't get a picture.

8626 was on the road this evening...left U of T around 7:15-7:30 this evening. 

• 2 weeks later...

Given that today is the last day that Coach Canada is operating Whitby Division routes, what would happen come tomorrow (Jan.1st) to which the buses that Whitby current has for DRT would have to be moved out of the facility (?) as Coach Canada wouldn't own it anymore. Would Pacific Western, their new contractor effective tomorrow would use the same facility or would those buses be split between both Westney and Raleigh Divisions? Any effects on service?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

2017 Budget and Proposed service strategy from 2017 to 2028is now available.

https://zyimage.durham.ca/Exe/ZyNET.exe?ZyAction=ZyActionD&Client=RoD&Index=Regional Commissioners Reports 2016&Docs=&Query=2017-DRT-01&Time=&EndTime=&SearchMethod=1|&TocRestrict=n&Toc=&TocEntry=&QField=&QFieldYear=&QFieldMonth=&QFieldDay=&UseQField=&IntQFieldOp=1&ExtQFieldOp=1&Refine=&XmlQuery=&User=ANONYMOUS&Password=anonymous&SortMethod=n|-&ResultOffset=0&MaximumDocuments=15&FuzzyDegree=0&ImageQuality=r85g16%2Fr85g16%2Fx75y75g8%2Fi850&Display=degpwlrmcftP&DefSeekPage=f&Back=ZyActionS|7&BackDesc=Results page&MaximumPages=1&ZyEntry=1&SeekPage=f&Doc=

key route changes this year.

401, no more 60-minute frequencies

900, weekday evening from 30 to 20

900, no more 60-minute frequencies

910, Route modification to eliminate confusing service around Thornton

915, 30 minute Saturday service until 19:00, Sunday to 19:00

916, 30-minute Saturday service until 22:00, Sunday to 19:00

916, Operate service via Brock Road

950, Introduction of Saturday Service

305, Two-way service on Thickson

107, extended to Rouge Hill

120, Half hour sunday service

199, replaced by route 603

408, Stevenson/Thronton will replace route 409 service, no service on Garrard north from Dundas to Taunton

409, maintains service on Garrard

420, New service on West Britannia 

603, New route connecting Uxbridge to Brock Road/Highway 407 Park and Ride, Monday - Friday also providing weekday service to Claremont,

651, Dial-a-Ride in Uxbridge Township

652, Dial-a-Ride in Scugog Township

653, Dial-a-Ride Between Beaverton and Orillia 

654, Dial-a-Ride  Between Cannington and Kawartha Lakes.

Additional Resource Reallocation.

despite service cuts in Pickering as well as cuts to evening service in Ajax and Whitby, this year seems like DRT is doing a lot of the work need years back including cutting hourly service from most routes on the High-Frequency nNetwork.

Hey man, I read through the report - forgive me, I don't understand all of the technical graphs and whatnot, but can you decipher what's happening in Clarington? The service looks promising, but when is it all supposed to happen (like service til midnight on the 501)?

40 minutes ago, FlyerD901 said:

DRT finally pushing to get into STC

DRT access to STC

General question (not directed at you FlyerD901, but a follow-up from your post): How does the ownership of Scarborough Centre's bus terminal work? Is the entire terminal all owned by the TTC/City of Toronto, or is TTC only responsible for the western portion, and someone else (GO perhaps) is responsible for maintaining the eastern portion?

It would be logical that if DRT was to serve STC, they would do so on the eastern (GO/Greyhound/Megabus) side as it is outside the fare paid area.

Well based on what I read, I assume the TTC/City owns the terminal, because the request is asking access to STC terminal through the TTC Board. If it was Metrolinx property I would assume the request would have been made to/through Metrolinx. I don't know, I'm just assuming based on how I interpret it.

Now, when it comes to maintenance and general up keep, I don't know. I should look out when I pass by there to see who cleans the eastern part of the terminal.

I guess well see if it is approved, more details will come out on whether or not they have a lease through TTC or GO/Metrolinx, similar to Miway at Islingotn.

18 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

Well based on what I read, I assume the TTC/City owns the terminal, because the request is asking access to STC terminal through the TTC Board. If it was Metrolinx property I would assume the request would have been made to/through Metrolinx. I don't know, I'm just assuming based on how I interpret it.

Now, when it comes to maintenance and general up keep, I don't know. I should look out when I pass by there to see who cleans the eastern part of the terminal.

I guess well see if it is approved, more details will come out on whether or not they have a lease through TTC or GO/Metrolinx, similar to Miway at Islingotn.

I've always seen GO's own people maintaining the eastern part.

On 1/16/2017 at 9:25 PM, FlyerD901 said:

DRT finally pushing to get into STC

DRT access to STC

I think the bigger question is what type of DRT service would this be? I don't believe this would be related to the "Durham/Scarborough BRT" as that's still many years away.

Seeing as DRT had cut the 923 - Bayly, that was the closest 'local' route to Scarborough Centre. Otherwise, it may be an extension of 900-Pulse. However, is that part of Pulse's Phase Two plan, or is that specific for the bus lanes along Highway 2/Kingston Road?

Even if this was Pulse, man, they would be so stretched for buses.

14 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

I think the bigger question is what type of DRT service would this be? I don't believe this would be related to the "Durham/Scarborough BRT" as that's still many years away.

Seeing as DRT had cut the 923 - Bayly, that was the closest 'local' route to Scarborough Centre. Otherwise, it may be an extension of 900-Pulse. However, is that part of Pulse's Phase Two plan, or is that specific for the bus lanes along Highway 2/Kingston Road?

Even if this was Pulse, man, they would be so stretched for buses.

If they were wise, they would add a branch of the pulse (900A) that would just serve the western portion of the route to STC, and have the main line continue to serve U of T...

I kind of get the feeling that one long route from STC to Downtown Oshawa will result in bunching of buses at either ends of the route where traffic congestion is at its highest, and might cause riders to opt for GO bus routes 92 or 96 as it would be more reliable. Adding a branch from STC to say White Oaks? or Salem even would maintain a consistent service across the entire route. 

20 hours ago, DavidH said:

Tragic news - a fatal collision between a DRT bus on Brock St in Whitby and a pedestrian.

http://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/7074452-man-struck-by-bus-in-south-whitby-has-died-durham-police-confirm/

Was a double hit as they seem to be in the middle of the road after getting hit by the bus , they were hit by a car as well.

10 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Pacific Western off to a great start.  This is why I couldnt get lunch at McDonalds.  I hadnt realized there was a fatality, thank you.

And what exactly does Pacific Western's operation of Whitby's division have to do with this?

• Like 2

The guy was in the middle of the road? sorry, isn't this the result of being on the road when you are not a vehicle? It happens all too often, people are just too impatient to use crosswalks or traffic lights, it makes perfect sense to cross Brock Street right?, one of Durham's busiest corridors. Thoughts go out to his family, however I hope this serves as a wake up call for the hundreds of other people who cross the road illegally around almost every GO train station I've been to. You catching your train is not worth your life. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2017 at 3:55 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

I wonder what the "procurement of two minibuses" is. 

On 1/15/2017 at 6:41 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

I think I made a mistake, 107 is actually scheduled for 2018. The point still stands however that RHG will need more space

if it was full

it has

60'-85

40'-38

40'-54

40'-103 and then the 107 on top of all that

I doubt that they will add another bay for the 107, it would be a waste of money. Where would they even put another bay? Think about these things before you ask. If it was really an issue, the 103 and 107 could have different departure times, or the 107 could stop up by the 38, or even the westbound 54 stop on Lawrence, hell, why not just stack them? There is layover space at Rouge Hill, the bus doesn't have to lay up at the platform. 2018 is still a year away, after all.

4 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Nothing spesificly to do with the accident, but everything has gone wrong except their on time preformance 

It's been less than a month, it would be unfair to base one isolated incident on their performance. From my experience out in Whitby thus far, I have found a much better morale amongst drivers. Stop scapegoating Pacific Western for problems exceeding their control.

On 1/19/2017 at 10:19 AM, 409 Thornton said:

If they were wise, they would add a branch of the pulse (900A) that would just serve the western portion of the route to STC, and have the main line continue to serve U of T...

I kind of get the feeling that one long route from STC to Downtown Oshawa will result in bunching of buses at either ends of the route where traffic congestion is at its highest, and might cause riders to opt for GO bus routes 92 or 96 as it would be more reliable. Adding a branch from STC to say White Oaks? or Salem even would maintain a consistent service across the entire route. 

Why not have a semi-express branch from Oshawa to Port Union, then continuing onto Scarborough Town, via the 401? Along the same setup of the 501/501A ZUM service in Brampton. Alternate the trips, with every.. 2nd or 3rd? bus heading to the Town Centre. Not only would a express branch take off some of the pressure from the local, it would also render the service on the 92 redundant. I feel like riders would be discouraged by transferring if it ran from Salem or White Oaks. Bunching could be curbed by the bus skipping local stops (i.e Gibbons, Chapman stuff like that) Just a thought for discussion.

• Like 1