Durham Region Transit

DRT

They've received their buses. Pictures courtesy of Richard Oldfield

Interesting, they have the older front door configuration, instead of the one large one, with the small one.

It would seem to me that DRT has outlived the current scheme, in my opinion, it looks like an eyesore on the new Nova's.

So it's official: pretty well every transit agency coming to Apple Maps in a few months except the obvious one, DRT.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/apple-maps-transit-southern-ontario/

If you read down a bit, you'll see that Oshawa is included on the list of transit information, whether that's just GO or includes DRT. YRT's is already listed on Google Maps, which makes me wonder what's in store for DRT, if they're being added or, having something new altogether.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DRT 8173

Just saw one of Durham's new nova buses doing the pulse this afternoon, sogn said 900 pulse to U of T... Thought they only used the branded new flyers?

The majority of buses running on the Pulse are New Flyers. I haven't seen the new Nova buses as of yet, though.

according to DRT's twitter.. they're using non-Pulse buses "due to TO2015 service increase"

Well, if the Pan Am service increased has happened, I doubt that any Pulse buses were used on these shuttles, unless if there is more Pulse service other then the regular Saturday Pulse service right now. A conventional bus on the Pulse isn't out of the ordinary, although considering that it was around the beginning of the Pulse service two years ago that conventionals were to be found on the Pulse, albeit for short trippers.

There were a few Orion VIs that have been reactivated/pulled out of retirement. They may also be on the shuttles and/or may not be sued at all, only unless if there is a shortage present. Unknown specific VIs are active again.

TripLinx is now on the App Store and Google Play (it's buried way at the bottom of the homepage for some reason).

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=1015381471&mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.cityway.android_v2.triplinx

It downloads approximately 12MB of data when you first run it, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it may just work offline (at least in a limited fashion).

Meanwhile, Apple releases a public beta bringing beautiful transit maps from about 15 agencies in the Golden Horseshoe to early adopters.

I should add that I got a reply from the CIO (chief information officer) at the Region of Durham. It said in part:

"The Region of Durham is currently reviewing Open Data policies and implementation components. There are some significant changes we need to make to our Regional web infrastructure to provide this type of service but it is definitely on the horizon as an activity. There is an internal working group that is reviewing the various data catalogues within the Region to determine what information can be placed in an open data portal and what cannot due to privacy concerns as it relates to personal information."

I'm trying to be hopeful about this. Only time will tell.

I fiodn it very odd considering that the Pulse Sunday service is every half hour. Surely more then enough Pulse buses to be used. Or, is the service at every 10 minutes and they need other buses rather then just the Pulse XD40s?

This was a saturday afternoon at harwood and hwy 2 going westbound, the service is every 15 at that time. They shouldnt be out of buses then unless they were doing adjustments to certain groups of the XD40s at a time

Guest DRT 8173

I fiodn it very odd considering that the Pulse Sunday service is every half hour. Surely more then enough Pulse buses to be used. Or, is the service at every 10 minutes and they need other buses rather then just the Pulse XD40s?

This was a saturday afternoon at harwood and hwy 2 going westbound, the service is every 15 at that time. They shouldnt be out of buses then unless they were doing adjustments to certain groups of the XD40s at a time

I was at Mary & Bond in Oshawa, headed for work at around 6:50am when I saw 8421, 8531 and a pulse bus (forgot the number) - unusual number of buses for a Sunday start.

Asked the bus drivers.. all they said was "it's for the Pan Am games".

8421 had left when I got to the stop.. I got on 8531 as it was leaving before the pulse bus

When I was coming home from my work placement at a hotel in downtown Oshawa today, I boarded the 900 Pulse as usual - and the bus that I boarded was an NFI Xcelsior. If I had remembered, the fleet number was 8506 (or something like that).

The seats were rock solid during my long ride from Oshawa to Ajax, but that didn't make a difference on my commute. Many passengers who were waiting to board the Pulse - were confused about the bus they rode on (despite having the 900 route being displayed on the outside of the buses).

First, I think those extra Pulse runs done by conventional buses for Pan Am would've been more used (if they are more used?), if they were advertised as being extra runs, even on weekends.

Well, I think, if I remember correctly, the plan was to have 6 conventional buses this year but I don't think they were replacement. If they were, the ex-Philly Novas from 8173-8180 would be retired. But since the VIs in Westney seemingly retired already from the arrival of the 2014 XD40s (with some VIs coming out of retirement as backups for Pan Am). So, if they are all replacements, the ex-Philly Novas would've been retired already perhaps the Phillys would only stay until after Pan Am. Or, would there not be any retirements given that there are new runs (910X, 915X, 916X, 310, 401X/C) in September and more buses are to be needed?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DRT 8173

So I heard from a bus driver today that Route 916 will be run out of Westney (Ajax-Pickering) division instead of the current Raleigh (Oshawa) run.

So I heard from a bus driver today that Route 916 will be run out of Westney (Ajax-Pickering) division instead of the current Raleigh (Oshawa) run.

Thats correct.

Whitby units I don't know if they did.

No A/C, sliding windows for 8321/8322(9821/9822)