Durham Region Transit

DRT

Has anyone seen any VI in Service in the last two weeks?

923 has been Flyer's only. In the past 1-3 VI's would be out on it during peak

Even with four new Xcelsior's(assuming they even end up at Westney, probably not, it's rumored Allison, which means Oshawa.) Westney would still come up in the red with a shortfall of buses.

That i've seen, no. But when I was around Westney a few nights ago, 6-7 of them were not there, which means they were probably in service.

Yup im even factoring in the new XD40's

I doubt 409 that you may have seen 8322, unless you were referring to when they had been out there prior to their retirement. But yes, on many occassions, 923 had been teaming with many VIs out there.
I had 8420 on 923 yesterday afternoon, along with 8427 and 8461.
I may want to speculate too that many of the 846x's D40LFs and 847x's seemed to have transferred to Westney from Raleigh. Considering that 8004, 8010 and 8011 are there, I theorize that this may be a fleet switch. But until they are in service, it's speculation.

I also want to add that the Pulse XD40s weren't live when I was there yesterday. The ones I was on 8601 & 8623. On both occassions, the display panels were in place but the words were, "900 - OUT OF SERVICE." The STOP REQUESTED" would only appear if someone pulls the cord. No audible sound to the sop requested, either.
About two weeks ago I was advised by a driver that the announcement would be live on Pulse for September 15th, but I guess that's not the case. Any definitive date on when they'll be live?

Edited by newflyerinvero

are the ex Whitby VI's still in safe condition to be put back into service?

If the shortage of vehicles persists, what would be the feasibility of sending some D40LF's to both Ajax and Oshawa? Leasing more units from Coach Canada to operate in Whitby until they are able to have new buses delivered.

are the ex Whitby VI's still in safe condition to be put back into service?

If the shortage of vehicles persists, what would be the feasibility of sending some D40LF's to both Ajax and Oshawa? Leasing more units from Coach Canada to operate in Whitby until they are able to have new buses delivered.

Could be, but the numbers of buses would need to be equal on all sides to make sure that each division has enough buses, period. I mean, if per say, that some of the 2009 and 2010 D40LFs get put back to Whitby and Oshawa Divisions, there'd need to be others transferred to both Whitby and Oshawa in return.

What other Coach Canada units are you referring to? Other Novas perhaps?

Could be, but the numbers of buses would need to be equal on all sides to make sure that each division has enough buses, period. I mean, if per say, that some of the 2009 and 2010 D40LFs get put back to Whitby and Oshawa Divisions, there'd need to be others transferred to both Whitby and Oshawa in return.

What other Coach Canada units are you referring to? Other Novas perhaps?

The amount of units does not have to be equal at all yards, it just has to be sufficient for the services they are providing.

If I take the post above as correct, Ajax and Oshawa are short on units, while Whitby has enough buses...I'm not sure by how much, but I would assume it is not substantial, right? just a few buses?

If these divisions are experiencing shortages, maybe they should consider shuffling the routes around...

The amount of units does not have to be equal at all yards, it just has to be sufficient for the services they are providing.

If I take the post above as correct, Ajax and Oshawa are short on units, while Whitby has enough buses...I'm not sure by how much, but I would assume it is not substantial, right? just a few buses?

If these divisions are experiencing shortages, maybe they should consider shuffling the routes around...

I realized my mistake from my previous post in regards to trying to switch up some buses on an equal number, but by doing that, the divisions would still be short on the same number of buses.

Shuffling routes around? Are you suggesting that perhaps a route or two could be better suited to have another division operate?

If the 900 series routes were to be shuffled around then, one of two situations can be considered.
One of which I thought was to see the 915 be operated out of Raleigh, in the same circumstance as the 916, given that both routes similarly are within the same area and don't neccessarily go too far west as both terminate at Ajax go and UOIT. But the problem is that the 915 would require more buses which even if Raleigh uses some of those VIs, they'd still be short if some more D40LFs or XD40s shift west. It'd only work unless no other buses get transferred from Raleigh.
The other scenario I think would be for Victoria division (Whitby) to operate the 915 and 916. This would mean the 922 and 950 as Whitby's to operate and the 910 to be completely held by Raleigh, which in my opinion would be very beneficial as the schedules would be more on par for weekend services given the current 910 starts later on weekends then other Oshawa routes.
Any other suggestions?

Always thought 922 should be based out of only one garage instead of two. Also is 950 still a Whitby route?

950 is Whitby, yes.

If the 900 series routes were to be shuffled around then, one of two situations can be considered.

One of which I thought was to see the 915 be operated out of Raleigh, in the same circumstance as the 916, given that both routes similarly are within the same area and don't neccessarily go too far west as both terminate at Ajax go and UOIT. But the problem is that the 915 would require more buses which even if Raleigh uses some of those VIs, they'd still be short if some more D40LFs or XD40s shift west. It'd only work unless no other buses get transferred from Raleigh.

The other scenario I think would be for Victoria division (Whitby) to operate the 915 and 916. This would mean the 922 and 950 as Whitby's to operate and the 910 to be completely held by Raleigh, which in my opinion would be very beneficial as the schedules would be more on par for weekend services given the current 910 starts later on weekends then other Oshawa routes.

Any other suggestions?

900 Pulse can remain untouched, seeing how they don't require any more buses, seeing how their's are branded.

910, solely Raleigh, cut the Whitby GO extention. And replace with a Monday-Friday Route, yes?

915, Raleigh, with Audley trippers operated by Westney. Upgrade weekend frequencies to 30 minutes.

916, stay at Raleigh. Upgrade weekend frequencies to 30 minutes.

922, solely Victoria. Include midday and Saturday service at 60 minute headways.

923, remain untouched at Westney.

950, moved from Victoria to Raleigh.

With the 910, 915 and 950 reallocated to Raleigh, that would mean a fleet shift would be sensible.

950 is Whitby, yes.

900 Pulse can remain untouched, seeing how they don't require any more buses, seeing how their's are branded.

910, solely Raleigh, cut the Whitby GO extention. And replace with a Monday-Friday Route, yes?

915, Raleigh, with Audley trippers operated by Westney. Upgrade weekend frequencies to 30 minutes.

922, solely Victoria. Include midday and Saturday service at 60 minute headways.

With the 910, 915 and 950 reallocated to Raleigh, that would mean a fleet shift would be sensible.

What route then can be created between Oshawa Centre & Whitby GO via Durham College Whitby Campus? I'd be more curious at the names of the new 910 if it did turn out to be that way as well as the Oshawa Centre/Whitby GO route.

If those routes were to be shifted to Raleigh, for one thing, Westney would be better off as their fleet wouldn't be stretched too thin.Raleigh I think may need more buses meaning those extra VIs can be a good help along wtih those Novas expected later this year.

When you mean Audley trippers on the 915 from Westney, what are you referring to?

What route then can be created between Oshawa Centre & Whitby GO via Durham College Whitby Campus? I'd be more curious at the names of the new 910 if it did turn out to be that way as well as the Oshawa Centre/Whitby GO route.

When you mean Audley trippers on the 915 from Westney, what are you referring to?

I don't think a route from Whitby GO to the OC would be necessary. Maybe extend the 305 to Whitby Campus full time, or possibly run solely rush hour trips on the 910(910A, of sort) to Durham College Whitby, if needed.

915S trips operate around the end of peak periods from Ajax GO to Audley and Taunton to aleaviate some of the congestion on Routes 225 and 225A Audley North.

It could be the 909 Consumers Via OSHAWA Centre and Whitby Go

I don't think a route from Whitby GO to the OC would be necessary. Maybe extend the 305 to Whitby Campus full time, or possibly run solely rush hour trips on the 910(910A, of sort) to Durham College Whitby, if needed.

Looking at the 5-year plan, the 910 would change to Whitby GO-Consumers-Durham College-Champlain-OC... the idea being to serve all the commercial/employment along Consumers Dr and Champlain, as well as Durham College. Trent would be connected to UOIT via the Thornton route.

950 is Whitby, yes.

when the 923 gets extended to whitby go (which it will in the next year or two according to the westney supervisors) wouldn't they make some trips come out of victoria?

Looking at the 5-year plan, the 910 would change to Whitby GO-Consumers-Durham College-Champlain-OC... the idea being to serve all the commercial/employment along Consumers Dr and Champlain, as well as Durham College. Trent would be connected to UOIT via the Thornton route.

I suppose then the 910 could be from Oshawa Centre to Whitby Go via Durham College Whitby. Maybe "Campus Connect/Whitby GO" designation could still be used given that Durham College Whitby Campus will still be served.

If the 409 was going to UOIT and also have a 409A (clockwise/counter-clockwise routings along Thornton & Stevenson), would the common decision be made to take the 409 and A along Rossland and Simcoe to UOIT at a combined 15 minute frequencies? Weekdays anyway?

In case anyone had missed it - the former brown building that once used to be the Ajax Harwood Plaza Bus Terminal in Ajax (located on Harwood Avenue south of the Highway 401) - has been removed.

The only bus that goes into the Harwood Plaza - is the 291/292 Community Bus. The 916 still serves near that area (it stops along Harwood Avenue). I also think that the 218 serves as well.

That former brown building had been idle ever since Greyhound (quietly) no longer serves the area. The building sat empty back in September 2013 and until recently (as early as this summer) - the building itself is now "history".

DRT 8161's INIT system is live as of 12:00am last night, caught it on the last outbound 409 Thornton, it's quite laggy, only announces few stops, and misses quite a few on the display.

Considering that it is the first conventional bus that has these announcements in place, I wouldn't have expected too much as far as high expectations to it to be 100% accurate with each stop being called correctly. There'd be bound to be some bugs in it.

Have you noticed other Raleigh units that have at least the displays set up?

Considering that it is the first conventional bus that has these announcements in place, I wouldn't have expected too much as far as high expectations to it to be 100% accurate with each stop being called correctly. There'd be bound to be some bugs in it.

Have you noticed other Raleigh units that have at least the displays set up?

No other Raleigh units are equipped with INIT that I know of.

I again, got 8161 on the 403/412 yesterday, rode it around, noticed that the "BUS SYSTEMS TESTING IN PROGRESS" message has disappeared. No stops were announced for the 403 portion of the service. When leaving the Oshawa Centre Terminal, it displayed the following stops:

• ELMGROVE WESTBOUND AT OSHAWA CENTRE
  • ELMGROVE EASTBOUND AT WESTMOUNT
  • ELMGROVE EASTBOUND AT PARK

A nominal "403/403B Park" message was displayed during this period when the doors were open. For the rest of the trip, no stops were called or displayed.

For the 412 however, all stops were displayed on the screen, but only a few stops were called:

• ADELAIDE EASTBOUND AT CENTRAL PARK
  • FLEETWOOD NORTHBOUND AT CORSICA
  • TOWNLINE SOUTHBOUND AT SHANKEL
  • OLIVE WESTBOUND AT ATHABASCA
  • TOWNLINE NORTHBOUND AT NASH

From my knowledge no other stops were called.

No other Raleigh units are equipped with INIT that I know of.

I again, got 8161 on the 403/412 yesterday, rode it around, noticed that the "BUS SYSTEMS TESTING IN PROGRESS" message has disappeared. No stops were announced for the 403 portion of the service. When leaving the Oshawa Centre Terminal, it displayed the following stops:

• ELMGROVE WESTBOUND AT OSHAWA CENTRE
  • ELMGROVE EASTBOUND AT WESTMOUNT
  • ELMGROVE EASTBOUND AT PARK

A nominal "403/403B Park" message was displayed during this period when the doors were open. For the rest of the trip, no stops were called or displayed.

For the 412 however, all stops were displayed on the screen, but only a few stops were called:

• ADELAIDE EASTBOUND AT CENTRAL PARK
  • FLEETWOOD NORTHBOUND AT CORSICA
  • TOWNLINE SOUTHBOUND AT SHANKEL
  • OLIVE WESTBOUND AT ATHABASCA
  • TOWNLINE NORTHBOUND AT NASH

From my knowledge no other stops were called.

I thought 8468 had the automated annoucements installed, caught it a few times on Simcoe Street