Durham Region Transit

DRT

Yeah, structural corrosion on the frame of that unit, and I they probably dont want to spend alot of money to repair the bus, since its pretty old.

Thats what I thought due to it had some interior floor work/patching done around the wheel wells earlier last year.

8099 is back in service because of fleet shortage.

I went by today and it's retired sitting on the lawn all ready to be floated up to Windsor.

I'll post photo's tonight or tomorrow.

It appears 8015 is back from refurbishment. Spotted it at the back of the garage today. It's in the new livery and has new mirrors with LED turn signals. It still retains its flip dot signs.

Finally, it must have had a complete rebuild. I am interested to see what they did with the interior mostly the seats. Though it should have got a new sign.

Finally, it must have had a complete rebuild. I am interested to see what they did with the interior mostly the seats. Though it should have got a new sign.

Maybe they did a rebuild like 8137

8403 and 8409 have dull destination signs which makes it really hard to read and confusing to some expecially when waiting at a stop with more than 1 bus stopping there I've kind of gotten used to it expecially when I'm waiting at my stop at King & Thornton during rush hour because usually but not always the 20 Durham College is an older bus so I know if thats the bus I want.

8403 and 8409 have dull destination signs which makes it really hard to read and confusing to some expecially when waiting at a stop with more than 1 bus stopping there I've kind of gotten used to it expecially when I'm waiting at my stop at King & Thornton during rush hour because usually but not always the 20 Durham College is an older bus so I know if thats the bus I want.

That is caused by the stupid daylight sensors that Luminator puts in the signs. They are supposed to go dull at night to see the sign better. Half the time they are dull in daylight. Notice this does not happen on and buses that had the signs replaced because the refurbisher does not add the sensors.

This year's capital budget has $100,000 for electronic destination signs. This is a one time thing - it doesn't appear for future years and it wasn't there last year. But given the upcoming retirements, there will only be 10 remaining buses with roll signs (2 at West and 8 at East). While I can't speak from real knowledge here, $100K sounds like a lot for electronic signs for 10 buses. Given all of that, I wonder if they are planning to also replace older flip-dot signs with LED signs?

on the chopping block at the time are:

West: Orion 1's and MTB Glider.

Center: 1989 Classics.

East: All classics.

this could change.

That adds up to 11 buses, but the capital budget designates 12 of the 14 D40LFs as replacement buses. I wonder if they are counting 8023 as the 12th.

'Course as you say, it's all subject to change.

So 8115 will servive yet another retirement list we as transit enthuseists should honour 8115 for serviving through DRT because most of DRT's can only go so long with out having problems after being fixed or getting a tune up. 8115 despite DRT's crappy maintinance job and Oshawa's disgusting roads has live through it all and has lasted well after the sister bus 8116 was retired not too long ago

I saw something on the First local news about Durham getting 26 hybrids in the future is it true? David?

Yes. These will be for the Highway 2 BRT. Since funding arrived this week, I assume that DRT will get the order in as soon as possible, with initial service probably happening in 2010 or thereabouts. Take that as a guess though - I'm sure DRT will have more details on scheduling soon, and I'll try to see what I can gather from various materials I have at some point on the weekend; I don't have time to do that now.

Note that the initial BRT implementation will be Viva-like - new side-of-road facilities (I think) coupled with traffic signal priority. Frequency of service will be 7.5 min during rush hour and 15 minutes at other times during the day, although I think there will be some 30 minute times during very off peak times. This will replace GO's route 94 although GO still intends to use the BRT facilities for semi-express and express routes (presumably meaning route 95 stays).

The eventual implementation will be a dedicated lane, although there may be a period during which it is shared as an HOV lane (which they should NOT do since unless it is well enforced, it will just be another lane of traffic if this is done).

I'll put together some details here and on my blog when I can. I have a bunch of documents to go through first.

Note that the initial BRT implementation will be Viva-like

Interesting you say that..................

100_1255.jpg

100_1256.jpg

I took these photo's this morning around 9:40 when it was leaving. I was inside the garage because I was up on the hill ten minutes earlier and it was not out back. Very strange and I have no idea what it would be doing there.

100_1255.jpg

100_1256.jpg

I took these photo's this morning around 9:40 when it was leaving. I was inside the garage because I was up on the hill ten minutes earlier and it was not out back. Very strange and I have no idea what it would be doing there.

That is a sight for sore eyes. A million things pop into mind when I see that, My first thought was maybe YRT/Viva is planning some sort of route out to Ajax who knows. hmmm VIVA Yellow

100_1255.jpg

100_1256.jpg

That is a sight for sore eyes. A million things pop into mind when I see that, My first thought was maybe YRT/Viva is planning some sort of route out to Ajax who knows. hmmm VIVA Yellow

Wow, nice catch. Yes DRT had plans to demo a vanHool A330. I had a feeling it was gonna be a VIVA bus. :lol:

You happen to see 8015 from the hill?

Wow, nice catch. Yes DRT had plans to demo a vanHool A330. I had a feeling it was gonna be a VIVA bus. :angry:

You happen to see 8015 from the hill?

Cool I could not believe it when I saw it.

I saw it parked at the back corner in front of 8121, I have not seen it on the road yet.

Here are some pics from Tuesday:

100_1247.jpg

I don't like how they put the front fleet numbers; like the East does. Also it seems that they did not paint the drivers wall and draft door like they did on 8014, I think the black looks better.

100_1243.jpg

All rear lights are now LED including the brake and those orange ones on each side. Also the Otaco benches still remain, I am not sure if they were re upolstered though.

Also here is the photo of 8099 I forgot to post. It should be in Windsor by now as it was ready to go when I saw it (the ownership and other papers were sitting on the drivers seat, including a DRT map. :P ) With this bus they only removed the "Durham Region" Part of the logo's and left the rest, and yes the Luminator signs stay in the bus.

100_1217.jpg

Wow, nice catch. Yes DRT had plans to demo a vanHool A330. I had a feeling it was gonna be a VIVA bus. :angry:

This is good to hear. The more that DRT copies from Viva's experience, the better, and the BRT service really needs to be operated on something different from D40LFs. Marketing is everything.

Cool I could not believe it when I saw it.

I saw it parked at the back corner in front of 8121, I have not seen it on the road yet.

Here are some pics from Tuesday:

100_1247.jpg

I don't like how they put the front fleet numbers; like the East does. Also it seems that they did not paint the drivers wall and draft door like they did on 8014, I think the black looks better.

100_1243.jpg

All rear lights are now LED including the brake and those orange ones on each side. Also the Otaco benches still remain, I am not sure if they were re upolstered though.

Also here is the photo of 8099 I forgot to post. It should be in Windsor by now as it was ready to go when I saw it (the ownership and other papers were sitting on the drivers seat, including a DRT map. :angry: ) With this bus they only removed the "Durham Region" Part of the logo's and left the rest, and yes the Luminator signs stay in the bus.

100_1217.jpg

Cool pics! I wonder if it is in service already. Last I saw it, it was in a different spot.

This is good to hear. The more that DRT copies from Viva's experience, the better, and the BRT service really needs to be operated on something different from D40LFs. Marketing is everything.

Yes, that would be a good idea. Also I hope they notice that they need to improve service around and connecting to the BRT route if they want it to be successful.

Yes, that would be a good idea. Also I hope they notice that they need to improve service around and connecting to the BRT route if they want it to be successful.[/color]

All of the BRT documents talk about "Rapid bus" on Taunton and Rossland, as well as continuous all-day service on Bayly/Bloor/Victoria and on Brock in Pickering. So to that extent, they are definitely planning more than one route - it's just that Highway 2 will be the centrepiece.

Beyond that, they do have service increases planned starting next year, but it's not clear whether or not this will include route changes to provide better connections and more usable routings.

Hi There

The bus was here just as a demo. It gives us a chance to see different vehicles for possible additions on our next bus order. No it will not go in to service in Ajax.

Thank you for contacting DRT.

Regards, Sandra

Sandra Nielsen

Customer Service Representative

Durham Region Transit West Division

110 Westney Rd. SAjax, Ontario

L1S 2C8 (905)-683-4111 Ext. 5801

:angry:

Sounds like a BRT might becoming a reality. I think they need to bring full day service back to 4/5 College Hill/Central Park

along with service improvements to 1 Simcoe.

Questions regarding Hwy 2 BRT perposal:

1. Will the 2 King still be in running if this was to go through?

2. Will the 6 Dundas still be in service if this was to go through

What buses do you think DRT should consider buying for the BRT system

my choices

New Flyer D40LFR

New Flyer D60LFR

Nova LFS Hybrid

Watch what you say! Some members here don't think so and they think having a D40LF as BRT works much better since it has parts common. Afterall, they went as far as saying Viva should've been operated with D40LF and D60LF. I won't name who those are! Not me of course as everyone here knows how much I hate that model!

EDIT: TO DRT Boy. I rather they go with the D40BRT and D60BRT instead of the LFR. Afterall, the BRT model is designed for...? (Shockingly), BRT service, much to the surprise of many here!

Watch what you say! Some members here don't think so and they think having a D40LF as BRT works much better since it has parts common. Afterall, they went as far as saying Viva should've been operated with D40LF and D60LF. I won't name who those are! Not me of course as everyone here knows how much I hate that model!

EDIT: TO DRT Boy. I rather they go with the D40BRT and D60BRT instead of the LFR. Afterall, the BRT model is designed for...? (Shockingly), BRT service, much to the surprise of many here!

I saw those buses on Google and they look very nice but they also look pricey. I wouldn't mind having D40LF's on the BRT

besides wouldn't the other DRT buses run on the BRT as well or does it have to bew the buses they are getting for it