Durham Region Transit

DRT

DRT West is getting their new D40LFs in service. 8431 and 8432 were on Beach and Audley routes respectively at 4:30.

As previously mentioned, they carry the DRT web site address in the lower green stripe above the windows, at the rear of the bus.

Found the new D40LFs out today and got pics of one at Ajax. And yes, I did find them quieter than the first batch! :D

Also noticed the transfers have the Durham Spring games logo on the back. Not sure how long it's been like that.

DRT8432.PNG DRT8432r.PNG

Found the new D40LFs out today and got pics of one at Ajax. And yes, I did find them quieter than the first batch! :D

Also noticed the transfers have the Durham Spring games logo on the back. Not sure how long it's been like that.

DRT8432.PNG DRT8432r.PNG

I rode 8132 on the 182 tonight and agree they are much quieter. Other noticeable changes include a center stop request sign, led floor and step lights, and a second storage box (it's wider but short) and idea what it's for?

They have been like that since at least mid November.

I rode 8132 on the 182 tonight and agree they are much quieter. Other noticeable changes include a center stop request sign, led floor and step lights, and a second storage box (it's wider but short) and idea what it's for?

That smaller storage box is used to store safety equipment like flares, triangles, and first aid kit.

They have been like that since at least mid November.

Ah ok, thanks.

Took a ride on the new D40LFs. Noticed two other changes: the seat backs are now the same color as the TTC's and the rear doors have the Vapor vTouch bars.

Also I was confronted by a supervisor who told me that drivers were upset about having their pictures taken. He also asked me if I was "affiliated" (his words) with a certain transport enthusiast driver. He said he understands the hobby, but said I can't take photos of the buses with drivers. I tried to explain to him that almost always the driver does not show uo in the picture, but he wouldn't hear it. He said something about it being a security issue. He also said I have taken his picture many times. Funny thing is, I do not even know who that supervisor was. I have never seen him before. He said to take photos when the driver is not there or ask their permission. If I were to follow his suggestion I would have less photos and more missed opportunities for rare photos because sometimes I have to get the bus while it's moving, the majority of the time, drivers stay in their buses, and don't even try to visit West garage.

Took a ride on the new D40LFs. Noticed two other changes: the seat backs are now the same color as the TTC's and the rear doors have the Vapor vTouch bars.

Also I was confronted by a supervisor who told me that drivers were upset about having their pictures taken. He also asked me if I was "affiliated" (his words) with a certain transport enthusiast driver. He said he understands the hobby, but said I can't take photos of the buses with drivers. I tried to explain to him that almost always the driver does not show uo in the picture, but he wouldn't hear it. He said something about it being a security issue. He also said I have taken his picture many times. Funny thing is, I do not even know who that supervisor was. I have never seen him before. He said to take photos when the driver is not there or ask their permission. If I were to follow his suggestion I would have less photos and more missed opportunities for rare photos because sometimes I have to get the bus while it's moving, the majority of the time, drivers stay in their buses, and don't even try to visit West garage.

Who's driver is it from? Ajax? Looks like the driver wants more support of not having his face taken.

Who's driver is it from? Ajax? Looks like the driver wants more support of not having his face taken.

I'm guess ing it was a West driver since the supervisor was from West.

As I said above, I tried to explain that very rarely is the drivers' face showing in the photo, but he the supervisor did not want to hear it. At least he was not rude.

As I said above, I tried to explain that very rarely is the drivers' face showing in the photo, but he the supervisor did not want to hear it. At least he was not rude.

At least not as rude as the one we got last time on the 8 at Oshawa Centre remember? On the LFS where he said our transfer was not valid but he doesn't f***ing care because he was done his shift.

He seems doesn't want any support.

Found the new D40LFs out today and got pics of one at Ajax. And yes, I did find them quieter than the first batch! <_<

DRT8432.PNG DRT8432r.PNG

Nice pics! I have a question, I noticed on the rear shot, those additional skirt panels, what material are they made of, are they designed to make minor accident repairs easier/quicker? As in do they protect the actual body of the bus?

At least not as rude as the one we got last time on the 8 at Oshawa Centre remember? On the LFS where he said our transfer was not valid but he doesn't f***ing care because he was done his shift.

Yeah, but at least he was done his shift, so we wouldn't have him as our driver!

He seems doesn't want any support.

Yeah, it's unfortunate, but hopefully won't run into him again! :P

Nice pics! I have a question, I noticed on the rear shot, those additional skirt panels, what material are they made of, are they designed to make minor accident repairs easier/quicker? As in do they protect the actual body of the bus?

Thanks! Yep, that's the basic idea for them.

Thought this would be the best place to ask this since it has to do with Durham Transit routes...

With the Cornell Terminal in York Region slated to open within the next couple of years, and from my understanding bus bays being put in for future routes from GO and Durham, What if anything has been discussed at Durham Region Transit regarding routing to Cornell Terminal to connect with YRT??

Thought this would be the best place to ask this since it has to do with Durham Transit routes...

With the Cornell Terminal in York Region slated to open within the next couple of years, and from my understanding bus bays being put in for future routes from GO and Durham, What if anything has been discussed at Durham Region Transit regarding routing to Cornell Terminal to connect with YRT??

Early last year, they had interest in looking into connecting to YRT there for the later future. The best way I could see in doing so is running up Altona Rd., up York Durham Line, and down Hwy. 7. However along this route there is very little potential for pick ups and drop offs, but I think it would still be a valuable service to have given DRT's limited connections to other systems. Given DRT's current situation, I don't know what there plan, if any, is for connecting to YRT.

I know the supervisor you mean. I believe he is temporary do to another supervisor (Dayleen) being on maternity leave. The Region had the job posting up on their website. Funny he says it though most drivers don't mind. A couple years ago when I tried to visit the West garage the Lady at the front desk told me I could not because of it being "an insurance issue" but she told me to go and "take pictures from the GO Station platforms".

He also said I have taken his picture many times.

Ya right :P

I know the supervisor you mean. I believe he is temporary do to another supervisor (Dayleen) being on maternity leave. The Region had the job posting up on their website. Funny he says it though most drivers don't mind.

Haha, that would explain why I never saw him before. I woulod say the majority of the drivers don't care and don't pay any attention.

A couple years ago when I tried to visit the West garage the Lady at the front desk told me I could not because of it being "an insurance issue" but she told me to go and "take pictures from the GO Station platforms".

I was told the same thing at at the garage too. They said that was the garage manager's decision, but it was still ok to take pictures outside at the terminals.

Ya right :P

Haha, yeah thats what I thought too!

Early last year, they had interest in looking into connecting to YRT there for the later future. The best way I could see in doing so is running up Altona Rd., up York Durham Line, and down Hwy. 7. However along this route there is very little potential for pick ups and drop offs, but I think it would still be a valuable service to have given DRT's limited connections to other systems. Given DRT's current situation, I don't know what there plan, if any, is for connecting to YRT.

That's my understanding is well. I know that this item shows up on DRT's monthly status reports to the executive committee as a planning item, so they're aware of it - but it's unclear as to when they'll be back in expansion mode, and they have higher priority items to deal with (e.g. getting 922 extended to Pickering, making connections to the TTC, etc).

8410 is wrapped for Johnny B's Nightclub. Looks pretty good at first I could not tell it was a DRT bus.

8138 was out on the 916 this afternoon (second time seeing an V on the 916; saw 8144 back in December)

More detail on upcoming route changes from an article in the Durham College Chronicle. I'm going to copy the full article since I have no idea how to link to a specific article on their site:

JENNIFER HOPF , Chronicle Staff

Changes to certain Durham Region Transit schedules became effective on Dec. 31 as a result of a $2.3-million shortfall in the DRT budget.

The 4 College Hill and 5 Central Park routes now operate only during rush hour (6:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.) from Monday to Friday. Midday service will no longer be offered, but weekend service will remain the same.

City council made the cuts after an analysis of the routes revealed low ridership. The areas these buses covered are served by other routes nearby, yet the cuts will still make it inconvenient for many people, especially with the high concentration of seniors in Rossland Park who rely on the Central Park bus for trips to the doctor’s office or grocery store.

“It’s not a perfect system,” said Phil Meagher, deputy general manager of operations for the DRT. “We are constantly reviewing our service, but we can’t be everything to everybody, and it can be difficult to work within our budget.”

Additional changes will be made at the beginning of March to meet the budget target and eliminate the deficit.

“Transit doesn’t make money,” Meagher said, explaining the system is subsidized by revenue from property taxes and the fare box.

Riders in all the lakeshore municipalities can expect service to end in the early evenings in the near future, rather than midnight, which is when many major routes end now.

The 916 Rossland and 915 Taunton routes, which directly affect a number of students, will undergo schedule changes as well. The 916 will run at 20-minute intervals during rush hour, and every 30 minutes for the rest of the day until 7:30 p.m. when it will run only once an hour. The 915 will offer the same service, with the exception of rush hour, when the buses will run every 15 minutes.

The 21 Townline, which can serve as a connector bus for the 915 and 916, will only provide hourly service on weekdays, and the 1 Simcoe will only run every half an hour on weekdays for the summer months, but will return to running at the usual 15-minute intervals during the school year.

Those relying on the DRT system should be aware of all upcoming changes in order to accommodate their schedules accordingly, since many more adjustments are to be made.

“We are fine-tuning our service. It’s all the growing pains of amalgamation,” said Meagher, referring to the recent joining of all transit systems in Durham.

Riders in all the lakeshore municipalities can expect service to end in the early evenings in the near future, rather than midnight, which is when many major routes end now.

This is some kind of joke now right? I mean who comes up with these ideas? It just goes from bad to worse.

This is some kind of joke now right? I mean who comes up with these ideas? It just goes from bad to worse.

I hope that that was a misunderstanding - but the situation with DRT is pretty bad these days. Council just doesn't care - although there is a lot of fuss starting down at local councils, so we may start to see some rethinking about the importance of building a transit system.