Barrie Transit

MCI102A3

Essa Township is close to formalizing an agreement for transit service with Barrie and Base Borden...

Simcoe.com 16 April 2013

Along with Angus, CFB Borden would definitely attract some ridership. $80-100/day for Army personnel minus Sergeants and Officers would make a $6 bus fare seem very reasonable. Plus the need of having access to groceries outside of the Canex stores on-base and other services (recreation) in Angus and Barrie... I'm interested in how this will work out!

• 2 weeks later...

Barrie Transit now has bike racks installed on all buses. They have a brochure (viewable here) which also has an image of 2013 New Flyer XD40 1301, with licence plate 179 9BH.

Also, an update on the major restructuring of Barrie Transit to occur in August is available here.

Barrie Transit now has bike racks installed on all buses. They have a brochure (viewable here) which also has an image of 2013 New Flyer XD40 1301, with licence plate 179 9BH.

Also, an update on the major restructuring of Barrie Transit to occur in August is available here.

About time, although the City of Barrie may have to pay out of their pocket to install the bike racks!

Indeed, that web page also has links to the new routes. WHO ARE THEY FOOLING? The hoopla they spread was that they were reducing the number of routes. Yeah right. For the most part they are combining two routes into one. Call it what you may (in this case they are apparently numbering them 1A, !B etc to 10A and 10B, the "A" and "B" branches simply going in opposite directions. I was pleased to see that my closest bus stop was NOT eliminated. Preliminary maps indicated they were removing it and I asked them to reconsider. This means the local part of the route remains intact. Why can't I press return here?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

although they are still listed as active on the Wiki, 1998 Orion units 64798-64898 are listed with six other Orions and a 1998 Nova on an RFP on the City of Barrie website for disposal/sale

I'm guessing those two were the ones retired by 1301-1302. That should leave 64297 and 65098 as the two remaining active Orion VIs.

• 4 weeks later...

I caught these buses as they were leaving the terminal yesterday. Caught some photo shots for both day and night, but haven't got them uploaded to my Flickr account.

Not sure what route 1301 was on, but it wasn't running hourly from what I saw. More like 30 or less.

It was Saturday Night for the 1301

First time I have shot photos in the city and never looked a the schedules before going there.

August will see some changes and hope it help, but hourly service is the poor man route to go.

There is a number of photos up on my site now for both day and night shots. Forgot to change the setting for night some how.

9196259860_1ebfea4fb8_b.jpg

9196222388_268546d9b8_b.jpg

9191218325_5fff18f029_b.jpg

9191220239_c8e4028fa5_b.jpg

I'm glad that for 2013 they went back to the New Flyer line instead of the El Dorados. They are very difficult to navigate, especially with a walker. I understand there is one model that has a ramp on both the front AND back doors. This is not the case in Barrie. Meanwhile plans are going ahead for the launch of the "New" Barrie Transit on August 15, 2013. The route maps have been on the City of Barrie website for some time now and the other day they added the schedules (except for the so-called Borden Rocket). Although the structure of my local route was left intact, fortunately, the schedule is different. I haven't compiled a schedule for the bus terminal yet, but currently my local St. Vincent route reaches the terminal on the hour and half hour. This will become part of "Route 9" (I hope they give them real names) and are scheduled to reach the terminal at 18 or 19 past the hour and 12 minutes to. IN OTHER NEWS..... they promised live tracking of the next bus, and that is already operational. It offers the phone number 705-999-8956. You can call with any phone and enter the 1 2 or 3 digit stop number OR you can send it as a text message to the same number. Not bad. The catch is, they promised to post the stop numbers at each stop but they haven't done it yet. The numbers are available on the schedule which you download from the website. They make reference to the current bus route numbers. The exception is that it makes reference to the GO shuttle which has been discontinued some time ago. I brought that to their attention but I don't know if they fixed it yet. Finally, each "A" and "B" route map take up one page per set, and the schedules took up 138 pages to print off. Somehow I doubt Barrie Transit will be publishing this for the general ridership. This all fit nicely in my Barrie Transit binder. The original Ottawa 1958 import, #50038 graces the front cover, and the mythical 782 Flyer is featured on the inside (which I acquired in this forum, thank you very much), and on the back cover an aerial view of a New Flyer bus crashing into a building on Maple Ave. I mean, I didn't want BORING pictures, did I? :D

I'm glad that for 2013 they went back to the New Flyer line instead of the El Dorados.

It's ordered for a reason for Eldorado for low ridership while NFI is still part of Consortium, continuing to replaced older buses.

I just wrote up a timetable documenting the arrival of all the buses to the Barrie terminal under the upcoming system revamp. While now it's fairly tidy. Roughly half the buses heading downtown meet on the hour and the half hour, the other half meet on the quarter hour. Let's see. Starting first thing on a weekday morning we'll have -

05:55 1A 3A 7B 10A

06:01 1B

06:02 3B

06:07 4A

06:10 2A 10B

06:15 9B

06:17 2B

06:19 9A

06:20 4B

06:23 7A

06:25 3A 7B 10A

06:26 1A

Those are the times and corresponding route numbers. If the schedule is to be that precise I predict many people wanting to transfer may miss their bus by mere minutes due to the new scheduling scheme. Ah, progress.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess another thing is that technically it will no longer be the bus "terminal" since none of the routes will actually "terminate" there; Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, and 10 will merely pass through both ways as "A" and "B". It's disappointing that there will be no routes on Lakeshore Drive making it harder to get to the beach. The "official" excuse is that there will be a lot of construction making it impossible. There is also no official word on NAMES for the routs. A lot of people tend to believe they will be numbers only. If so that will make them very hard to learn. It seems that almost no transit system in North America has a "numbers only" route plan. PERHAPS San Diego. I just checked. It's not totally clear. "2 Downtown - North Park - Normal Heights" So what I once saw of San Diego must have been quite outdated. What to do... name them myself! That could mean referring to 1A, 2A AND 4A as "Georgian Mall" but so be it. My daughter was upset, fearing that she couldn't get to the Holly Community Centre anymore but now that I wrote up a new pending timetable she seems happy again.

It's ordered for a reason for Eldorado for low ridership while NFI is still part of Consortium, continuing to replaced older buses.

Too bad they are not very friendly for mobility aids. I know some El Dorado models even allow one to board by the back door with an extending ramp. The ones Barrie uses only have ramps at the front door. As for the low ridership idea, buying a smaller bus isn't the answer, of course. Better service is.

I guess another thing is that technically it will no longer be the bus "terminal" since none of the routes will actually "terminate" there; Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, and 10 will merely pass through both ways as "A" and "B". It's disappointing that there will be no routes on Lakeshore Drive making it harder to get to the beach. The "official" excuse is that there will be a lot of construction making it impossible. There is also no official word on NAMES for the routs. A lot of people tend to believe they will be numbers only. If so that will make them very hard to learn. It seems that almost no transit system in North America has a "numbers only" route plan. PERHAPS San Diego. I just checked. It's not totally clear. "2 Downtown - North Park - Normal Heights" So what I once saw of San Diego must have been quite outdated. What to do... name them myself! That could mean referring to 1A, 2A AND 4A as "Georgian Mall" but so be it. My daughter was upset, fearing that she couldn't get to the Holly Community Centre anymore but now that I wrote up a new pending timetable she seems happy again.

Too bad they are not very friendly for mobility aids. I know some El Dorado models even allow one to board by the back door with an extending ramp. The ones Barrie uses only have ramps at the front door. As for the low ridership idea, buying a smaller bus isn't the answer, of course. Better service is.

I was in Barrie yesterday that both of the Eldorados were "active in the garage" during my visit, do they rarely use them for service?

I was in Barrie yesterday that both of the Eldorados were "active in the garage" during my visit, do they rarely use them for service?

Unfortunately they're used more frequently than I'd like. As I said, it's a difficult vehicle to maneuver a mobility aid.

• 2 weeks later...

Two more 2013 New Flyers, 1303 and 1304, were spotted by me at the downtown terminal as of today 7.26.2013. 1303 was doing the 31 Essa, 1304 was doing the 24 Edgehill. From what I've been told by a driver, these are the only two that have been recently added. They didn't even have advertising added to them yet.

2002 D40LF 66502 has also been repainted to 2007-spec like 661 and 664.

Pictures will follow as soon as I can figure out how to send pictures in this message, as I'm getting error messages.