Barrie Transit

MCI102A3

• 1 month later...

http://www.barrie.ca/Living/Getting%20Around/Pages/GoTransit.aspx

A note of interest:

When you ride Barrie Transit to/from the Allandale Waterfront GO Station or the Barrie South GO Station to connect to the GO Train service, your ride is “FREE” as long as a valid Zone 68 or Zone 69 GO Transit ticket or pass is presented to the bus operator upon boarding. Please note that at this time the Presto Fare Card will be accepted as a valid visual pass and will be accepted for the “FREE” ride.

Barrie has received atleast 1 bus (cutaway) specifically for an Allandale shuttle (route 61) numbered 1104. http://www.barrie.ca.../GoTransit.aspx

Barrie Transit 1104-a.jpg

Interesting...Looks like a new numbering system too now. Wonder if buses 02 & 03 are the XD40s or ElDorados.

http://www.barrie.ca.../GoTransit.aspx

A note of interest:

[/size][/font][/color]

AFAIK there has been that arrangement for a while now.

I have seen the VIs on the essa route

The VIs can appear on any route. Transit really doesn't differentiate between VIs and D40LFs, just between accessible(low floor) and non-accessible, which is why 65400 is restricted to peak-only useage.

That being said, with route 37 Veterans gone, your best bet for an Orion VI is Route 32 Bayview, which does not serve downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

3 New Flyer XD40s were delivered last week and are undergoing inspection now. Expect some Orion VIs to bite the dust soon.

Should also mention that the Orion VI that caught fire last year (65198?) is retired and has been stripped of useable parts, currently being stored off-site pending disposal.

3 New Flyer XD40s were delivered last week and are undergoing inspection now. Expect some Orion VIs to bite the dust soon.

Should also mention that the Orion VI that caught fire last year (65198?) is retired and has been stripped of useable parts, currently being stored off-site pending disposal.

Spot that toasted Barrie Orion VI at Newmarket Laidlaw garage few weeks ago, probably YRT use it for parts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well a XD40 numbered 1101 is in service.

So looks like 1101-1103 might be the Xcelsiors, and 1104 is an Arboc.

You are correct. XD40s 1101, 1102, & 1103 were in service this afternoon on Routes 31 Essa, 30 Yonge, and 20 RVH, respectively.

They have no rear window and no rear route displays.

Lisence Plates:

1101: 2211BF

1102: 2213BF

1103: 2214BF

ARBOC:

1104: 4655BF

1101.JPG1101b.JPG1102.JPG1102b.JPG67904-1103.JPG

Also, today no Orion VIs were out in service on Downtown or Allandale routes. Even the Glider had the afternoon off, as 66402 was on 35 Saunders.

You are correct. XD40s 1101, 1102, & 1103 were in service this afternoon on Routes 31 Essa, 30 Yonge, and 20 RVH, respectively.

Not surprised about not choosing more options for the rear. Barrie loves their larger-than-normal ads.

• 4 weeks later...

Barrie has received atleast 1 bus (cutaway) specifically for an Allandale shuttle (route 61) numbered 1104. http://www.barrie.ca.../GoTransit.aspx

Barrie Transit 1104-a.jpg

Actually there seems to be only one Arboc Spirit of Mobility vehicle. I was fooled because of its resemblance to (at first glance) BACTS vehicle 61104 but of course they are two different buses.

Too my question... why do they not program their signs so show destinations instead of just the route number/name? It would sure help some people who aren't used to the city like me and other Georgian students. It is very confusing for someone to just see two buses both displaying "11 BAYFIELD". Do you think if I made a petition they would do something?

That would be too modern and sensible. Do as I do when I'm in a city I'm not familiar with: carry a compass so you know which direction you're facing. And if you have time on your hands, unless the driver is in a nasty mood they won't care if you stay on for another go around. Now trhat all the buses use the Luminator digital signs there's really no excuse not to modify them so they say "11 BAYFIELD - To Georgian Mall" "11 BAYFIELD - To Downtown" but as I said that makes too much sense. I still have a hard enough time fighting with drivers (and arrogant passengers) for my right to sit (with my walker) in the designated handicapped seats without some self serving mother with an oversized stroller demanding that I move just because she feels her presense trumps mine. I stay my ground, but I get a lot of flack. Sensible signage? that's so minor that it's probably over their heads in Barrie Transit.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have a hard enough time fighting with drivers (and arrogant passengers) for my right to sit (with my walker) in the designated handicapped seats without some self serving mother with an oversized stroller demanding that I move just because she feels her presense trumps mine. I stay my ground, but I get a lot of flack. Sensible signage? that's so minor that it's probably over their heads in Barrie Transit.

Actually that has been remedied now that my doctor has approved my BACTS (paratransit) application. Today was my first ride on it. Fast. Efficient (although you have to plan in advance of course) and after all these years it still feels like you're riding on a school bus. But best of all, no fighting with stroller pushers.

cmc12, on 30 March 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

Not surprised about not choosing more options for the rear. Barrie loves their larger-than-normal ads.

I was reading through the XD40 operator's manual and the service manual (thanks to them being online via Fort McMurray Transit) and the XD40s apparently have cameras? Is that standard or optional?

• 1 month later...