Jump to content

Barrie Transit


Recommended Posts

On 12/8/2017 at 5:16 PM, CaptainTransit_4488 said:

Cimon8000 I got to drive this bus today for training. Drives very very nice!! Very smooth and pretty quick pick up. Taken in the garage before we left for the day. 

20171208_091253_wm.jpg

Nice thx for the great shot!  Have they decalled the bus before putting it in service or just running in white ghost scheme?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the new 2020 NovaBus LFS, just arrived Monday! Not sure how many we are getting this time around, right now we have 2, 2001/2002 with rumour that we're getting 4 more but I can't be sure! Got a

Cimon8000 I got to drive this bus today for training. Drives very very nice!! Very smooth and pretty quick pick up. Taken in the garage before we left for the day. 

Just got back from the Barrie Fair shuttle with a couple friends. 1703 was our bus. Unlike the 2012 and 2013 routes where the bus took Essa Road to 20th Sideroad, this year because of the closure at A

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

So the bus has a new livery pretty much.

Correct. I couldn't get photos since I spotted it downtown and there were pillars blocking the best shot possible. 

1706 isn't out today. Last few days, it has been on the 3A/3B. 

Though, it may most likely change if out tomorrow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you at least describe the livery? I'd imagine they kept the blue stripe but just added the new City logo? A few years ago I was told about a "rebranding" project that was supposed to be included in the 2013 redesign of the system but ultimately they've either scuttled it or put it off. They were gonna completely rename BT to something else, like "Uride" or "Pronto" or something stupid like that, something fancy like you see in the States.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MCI102A3 said:

Can you at least describe the livery? I'd imagine they kept the blue stripe but just added the new City logo? A few years ago I was told about a "rebranding" project that was supposed to be included in the 2013 redesign of the system but ultimately they've either scuttled it or put it off. They were gonna completely rename BT to something else, like "Uride" or "Pronto" or something stupid like that, something fancy like you see in the States.

It is hard to describe without the visual aid.

For those looking for 1706, it is on the 8B right now. Next departure from downtown is 1:50 PM.

Next departures from downtown today (assuming no trade off occurs):

3:20 PM

4:20 PM

5:50 PM

6:50 PM

8:20 PM

9:20 PM

10:50 PM (goes out of service at 11:50 PM and then heads back to the yard).

Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_3009RS.thumb.jpg.3fcec84f323c4bf79247cff0f79c2edc.jpgIMG_3011RS.thumb.jpg.63abbae74659733ae356a86d8f8fbe5c.jpgIMG_3012RS.thumb.jpg.25ce549ef2c4be168acf03bec8feef72.jpg

 

Took a ride on 1706 today and saw the scheme for myself. I'm pretty proud again to've gotten the very first shots of it lol. ;):P
 

Personally I think however it's just too bland and too dark. Especially with the white back end. 

I'll always prefer the old livery to this one i think, but perhaps it's because I'm more old-school lol? It does look alright, better than the fancy Yankee shite that small little podunks like to pull, but not as good as the classic old scheme.

Wonder what some of the others might think? I think it'll eventually grow on me if given time, like how the new GO scheme took a while for us to get used to, some of us were comparing it to Santa Fe's "Vomit Bonnet" back when it first came out I remember. They did an okay job, but to me this one looks kinda like the bland schemes you see on airliners these days.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

Its just a glorified logo thats all.

Ditto. Whoever designed it must've worked in the airline industry before coming here lol.

I would've preferred a stripe with maybe just a new logo or something, there's a street sweeper in the fleet that has the new logo and a big stripe on it and it looks really old school.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to update the list knowing it is compiled from individual threads regarding bus statuses in this thread.

Refurbished: 66804, 67404, 67604

Retired/Scrapped: 66402, 66502, 67104, 67304, 67506, 67704, 67904, 68206, 68306

In-Service: 1701 to 1708

Training: 1709

 

EDIT: 1708 was spotted in-service today

Link to post
Share on other sites

1710 to 1713 have arrived at the yard receiving their decals and getting set up for revenue service.

Guess they will be replacing the remaining 2004 D40LFs that haven't been refurbished along with possibly the 2006 D40LFs. Knowing that I have highlighted 9 that have been retired or scrapped.

I don't think they will go after the 2007 D40LFs yet (690, 691, 692, 693). Knowing that even those ones are starting to show their age along with the remaining D40LFs.

2008 only has one. 2009 has four units and noticeable with the blue interior too. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Some of my friends have been telling me that 1709's being scrapped because it apparently got T-boned by a drunk driver who came off the 400 at full speed while doing Route 4.

So far there's no photos of it from my friends, and no reports on the news about it that I've seen so far looking at CTV or the Advance (RIP the Examiner).

Anybody else hear about this and can offer more info?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MCI102A3 said:

Some of my friends have been telling me that 1709's being scrapped because it apparently got T-boned by a drunk driver who came off the 400 at full speed while doing Route 4.

So far there's no photos of it from my friends, and no reports on the news about it that I've seen so far looking at CTV or the Advance (RIP the Examiner).

Anybody else hear about this and can offer more info?

It would be repaired.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the new units spotted today. One real observation while the others were via the bus tracking map today.

1710 on the 3A/3B

1711 spotted on the 1A Georgian Mall at around 1 PM (apparently bus tracking map is claiming 4A/4B right now). I don't have the photo with me, but I sent it to a friend and not the best quality available. 

1712 is on the 7A/7B. 

1713 apparently on 1A/1B though as mentioned, may be mixed up with with the other bus that was spotted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

From my friend who is a transit operator adding in the new bus info.

68406, 68506, 69007 and 69107 have now been retired. 

1709 has also been scrapped. Unsure if they will be replacing that which I think it will be replaced knowing buses are insured. 

All 17xx units are in-service. Though I am not sure why they didn't just simply refurbish some more D40LFs instead of retiring them. Knowing that I think they really wanted to get the 2007 D40LFs out because of diesel fumes leaking in and the odour left behind. Most likely due to corrosion from salt and wear and tear. 

Final comments:

Not sure how scrapping a lot more units will help assuming the new ones will maintain the same reliability. Especially when it will lead to the same problem again replacing a lot of units again when the replacement cycle comes up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

1709 has also been scrapped. Unsure if they will be replacing that which I think it will be replaced knowing buses are insured.

If 1709 is indeed a write-off, Barrie Transit's insurance company (or more likely the insurance company of the vehicle that collided with 1709) would pay the City of Barrie the "present value" of the bus once all the investigation is done and the claims/lawsuits/etc. are all settled. Since 1709 was basically brand new (only in service for a few months), the insurance company would likely have had to pay close to the full value of the vehicle, which would allow the City to add another vehicle to the next order without having to increase their funding.

Older vehicles that get written off in an accident would have far less value, so in those cases the City would have to make up the difference between the "present value" of the damaged vehicle with the cost of a full vehicle if it wanted to replace it. Similar reason as to why buses that are close to retirement do not get repaired in an accident... the value remaining on the bus doesn't cover the cost to repair it, so the insurance company will pay out the present value and the bus gets scrapped.

EDIT: I'm probably oversimplifying it a bit but hopefully you get what I mean.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Articulated said:

If 1709 is indeed a write-off, Barrie Transit's insurance company (or more likely the insurance company of the vehicle that collided with 1709) would pay the City of Barrie the "present value" of the bus once all the investigation is done and the claims/lawsuits/etc. are all settled. Since 1709 was basically brand new (only in service for a few months), the insurance company would likely have had to pay close to the full value of the vehicle, which would allow the City to add another vehicle to the next order without having to increase their funding.

Older vehicles that get written off in an accident would have far less value, so in those cases the City would have to make up the difference between the "present value" of the damaged vehicle with the cost of a full vehicle if it wanted to replace it. Similar reason as to why buses that are close to retirement do not get repaired in an accident... the value remaining on the bus doesn't cover the cost to repair it, so the insurance company will pay out the present value and the bus gets scrapped.

EDIT: I'm probably oversimplifying it a bit but hopefully you get what I mean.

I understand your point @Articulated. Especially knowing that someone mentioned it was a drunk driver that ran a red light. On top, the bus wasn't even in revenue service for even an entire month. 

1 minute ago, MCI102A3 said:

I gotta wonder if we're gonna be getting a leaser for the time being?

I do not want to go back to leasers. Especially knowing that they retired too many buses instead of refurbishing some.

69207 was the refurbished unit. Not sure how much longer that one will be around for knowing it looks more to be a test to see how many more years can be squeezed out. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

I understand your point @Articulated. Especially knowing that someone mentioned it was a drunk driver that ran a red light. On top, the bus wasn't even in revenue service for even an entire month. 

I do not want to go back to leasers. Especially knowing that they retired too many buses instead of refurbishing some.

69207 was the refurbished unit. Not sure how much longer that one will be around for knowing it looks more to be a test to see how many more years can be squeezed out. 

 

Haha, I agree with you on losing so many good buses. However, when we had all those classics up here a couple of years ago it was a blast. Honestly they should've just bought them all on top of the idea of rebuilding the 04 and 06 buses, then we wouldn't have to worry about a bus shortage at all.

I really wouldn't mind one though, if one came up here while 1709's replacement was being built, I'd probably get as much mileage outta her as I can lol. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/01/2018 at 10:58 PM, MCI102A3 said:

Haha, I agree with you on losing so many good buses. However, when we had all those classics up here a couple of years ago it was a blast. Honestly they should've just bought them all on top of the idea of rebuilding the 04 and 06 buses, then we wouldn't have to worry about a bus shortage at all.

I really wouldn't mind one though, if one came up here while 1709's replacement was being built, I'd probably get as much mileage outta her as I can lol. :P

We can't jump to conclusions as to what's going on with 1709. The only way I see it being written off is if the frame is bent and twisted and I doubt hitting a pick up truck would do that, those buses are built pretty strong from what I hear and 1709 was only on the road less than a month before this collision happened! 

On 14/12/2017 at 6:59 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Just to update the list knowing it is compiled from individual threads regarding bus statuses in this thread.

Refurbished: 66804, 67404, 67604

Retired/Scrapped: 66402, 66502, 67104, 67304, 67506, 67704, 67904, 68206, 68306

In-Service: 1701 to 1708

Training: 1709

 

EDIT: 1708 was spotted in-service today

66102,66202,68406,68506,69007,69107 are done. Sounds like 60109 is getting refurbed right now, I saw one of the 1200 XD40s in white scheme which means it just came back from refurb I wanna say it's 1202 that just came back. I think 69709 was refurbed I believe it's got the new colour seats inside. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...