MCI102A3

Barrie Transit

498 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, MCI102A3 said:

I went downtown today as well and spotted those two out. Also got a Hammond Mercedes and the Angel Tours "HALO" X3-45.

1601 was on the 7 while 1602 was on the 6. I didn't notice too many differences between those and the 15s.

IMG_8999RS.jpg

IMG_9028RS.jpg

Nice photos. There isn't any significant difference other than the new bus smell and numbering. Just the same experience as the 15xx buses. 

1 person likes this

I attended Remembrance Day ceremonies Downtown today, and then once that was done, I spotted all the charters.

Charters were spotted at the assembly area at Dunlop and Mulcaster as well as the Simcoe Street tour bus parking area across the street from the Downtown bus station (Stop 1), as well as several buses laying over on Mary Street that were unrelated to the ceremonies.

At Dunlop and Poyntz (Bayshore Landing, BT Stop 731), I spotted three buses doing charters for the Canadian Forces and other veterans.

Barrie Transit 1601 (2016 Novabus LFS), signed "SPECIAL", unknown who specifically was to use it.

First Student Canada Saunders Division 110899 (2011 International CE) and 150499 (2015 Thomas C2)

At the Simcoe Street slip across from the Barrie bus station (Stop 1), I spotted the following.

Sinton-Landmark Transportation Ltd 2250 (2015-2016 International CE charter package with Cummins), 1256, 1231, 1276, 1210 (2013-2014 International CE with Maxxforce), 1313 (2015 International CE standard package with Cummins), 9912 (2004 Freightliner-Thomas FS65 with Mercedes engine, rear air ride, air brakes and high roof), and 2225 (2006 Thomas-Freightliner FS65 with Mercedes engine and full charter package).

When I arrived at the terminal, I spotted 1601 shut-down on the bus ramp waiting to depart on the charter, as well as D40LF 1940, and two unidentifiable coaches, one Greyhound 102DL3 in older livery and one GO D4500CT in current livery on layover on Mary Street. 1940 was still parked at the station when I finished up. 1602 was on Route 2, and both Eldorados were on the 4. I rode 1205 to get Downtown then got 1204 on the way back.

I would post more pics, but it would take up too much memory, so here's a couple of 1601 parked at the terminal before the ceremony as well as at the Poyntz Street assembly area after the ceremony.

IMG_9048RS.jpg

IMG_9080.JPG

1 person likes this

Went to the Santa Claus Parade as I do every year, but it got rained out really bad. I left halfway through it.

However, I have the first picture of the 2016 Barrie Transit holiday bus. 1602 has been wrapped in it and the staff decorated her as a float this year.

Another bus featured as a float was 2016 Blue Bird Vision charter package 2246, of Sinton-Landmark. I believe this one may be a York Region bus that was sent up here to be this year's float. My pics of that one are shite though, because of water on the lens and water on my glasses, but for the sake of the photographic record, I'll include it. Both pics were taken next to the Cenotaph and Christmas tree, but I bailed after these shots because the rain became too cold and hard.

IMG_9441RS.jpg

IMG_9445RS.jpg

On 2016-11-19 at 8:46 PM, MCI102A3 said:

Went to the Santa Claus Parade as I do every year, but it got rained out really bad. I left halfway through it.

However, I have the first picture of the 2016 Barrie Transit holiday bus. 1602 has been wrapped in it and the staff decorated her as a float this year.

Another bus featured as a float was 2016 Blue Bird Vision charter package 2246, of Sinton-Landmark. I believe this one may be a York Region bus that was sent up here to be this year's float. My pics of that one are shite though, because of water on the lens and water on my glasses, but for the sake of the photographic record, I'll include it. Both pics were taken next to the Cenotaph and Christmas tree, but I bailed after these shots because the rain became too cold and hard.

IMG_9441RS.jpg

IMG_9445RS.jpg

Just saw it today on the 8A today. They are continuing on with the holiday marketing campaign like they did last year. 

Spotted 1604 today on the 8B-NB Crosstown departure at 10:50 AM. Downtown terminal at platform 1. 

1601, 1602 and 1604 have been spotted in-service. No sighting for 1603 yet. Most likely in-service somewhere since all bus numbered are numbered in order. 

Along with the old route code. They haven't yet implemented an update with the new route programming. The new buses still have the new bus smell. 

Just getting used to my new MacBook Pro (mid-2015 edition). So far I am really enjoying this powerful machine. 

IMG_0781.JPG

1603 was just spotted on the 7A Bell Farm trip at 6:45 PM at the downtown transit terminal. 

1601, 1602, 1603 and 1604 are all in-service. 

Detour has been published for the 8A-SB Yonge and 8B-NB Crosstown. 

http://www.barrie.ca/Living/Getting Around/BarrieTransit/Documents/Mapleview_Detour_Map_ December_5th_2016.pdf

Starting December 5/16:

Route 8B-NB will be heading down via Huronia, Lockhart and Yonge towards Barrie South Go Station. 

Route 8A-SB will be heading down via Yonge, Lockhart and Huronia, then Mapleview towards Park Place

Due to the loss of service along Mapleview between Yonge and Huronia, a free bus shuttle will be on Mapleview looping around Stunden Lane, Catherine Drive, Seline Crescent back onto Mapleveiw towards Barrie South Go Station. 

The shuttle will be running weekdays every 20 minutes from 5:05 AM to 8:15 PM. Saturday from 7:05 AM to 8:05 PM. No Sunday service provided. 

Detour is expected to last around two weeks. This is to keep the construction schedule especially with the bridge narrowed to one lane. 

A service update has been posted updating the text messaging system: 

http://www.barrie.ca/Living/Getting Around/BarrieTransit/Documents/My_Ride_SMS_Information.pdf

For some routes that have more than one bus servicing the same stop, just have to ensure that there is a space between the stop number and route number. Once that message is received and a response sent, it provides a lot more detailed information (stop information, next departure and direction). Even better, just have to respond with "R" to get a new refreshed timetable. Uppercase or lowercase will work to generate a new prediction text message. 

Avoiding the need to input the same message again to get a new reply. 

Final comments: 

For me personally, I don't use the text message service like I used to considering that I am with Freedom Mobile with a big data bucket. Opting for the real-time live tracking map instead. The tracking map is built for mobile and desktop. 

Others that don't have the capacity for voice and data or have a very basic phone will enjoy the more detailed response and information. Though, I do wish that they added the star beside the time to ensure that it is coming from GPS (real-time) rather than default times. I know OC Transpo has that feature built into their text messaging service for years. Especially when some were confused when x time goes by and then defaults to the next departure time and then bus shows up instead. 

Nice to see an overhaul on delivery of transit information. Especially being a significant improvement over the current message delivery.  

Went to Winterfest yesterday, and checked out the Barrie Transit booth on the north side of the event. 1602 was there for people to look inside, as I did, and I took some pics of the interior. Unfortunately I did not get a make on what was running the parking shuttle, but it was probably one of the 2016 or 2015 Novas running it, as a guess of mine.

I asked them about whether the Family Day special to Midhurst was gonna run again this year, and it won't be run. According to the staff, there were only six people aboard the whole day when it ran last year, including me and my Grampa.

Also there were quite a few 04 D40LFs on the road yesterday, I got to ride on them both to head Downtown and to head home.

1602 is starting to have a bit of a history with me. Was the first 2016 I rode when a friend visited me, then I rode it once this week and saw it again yesterday, having a lot of fun both times I was on it.

IMG_9810RS.jpg

Just on 68506 today and noticed the seats have been refurbished to the similar looks of the 2007 D40LF buses that have gone through complete refurbishment. 

No other part of 68506 was refurbished other than the seats. 

68306 has also had the seats refurbished. Once again, no other work has been done other than seat refurbishment. 

Not sure about 68206 or 68406 regarding seat refurbishment. 

Already been confirmed that some 2007 D40LFs have gone through complete refurbishment earlier on. 

I don't think the 2004 D40LFs will be getting any kind of refurbishment including seats. Especially when the new units are coming in to replace them. Refurbishment is temporary to hold things together until the new units arrive. Really can't keep patching up things to hold them together. 

14 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

68306 has also had the seats refurbished. Once again, no other work has been done other than seat refurbishment. 

Not sure about 68206 or 68406 regarding seat refurbishment. 

Already been confirmed that some 2007 D40LFs have gone through complete refurbishment earlier on. 

I don't think the 2004 D40LFs will be getting any kind of refurbishment including seats. Especially when the new units are coming in to replace them. Refurbishment is temporary to hold things together until the new units arrive. Really can't keep patching up things to hold them together. 

Yeah, I noticed that with the 06, 07 and 08 D40LFs that they had the red seats.

I took a few rides on the 4 with one of my drivers the last few weeks, and we talked about the 04s, and he said most of the drivers don't wanna see these buses go because they're so basic and good for them to drive and don't have any crap in them. it'll be a shame to see these go, those and the 06s are the last classic-style buses in the fleet. If I had the money for it, I'd buy one of them and preserve it, but ah, well. Hopefully next year's Novas will be better than the ones we have now.

When I was Downtown last week, I saw one of the 16 Novas, and the left side engine cover's already rusting!

I'm not gonna bother with photo updates for a while unless something interesting happens, it's pretty boring around here right now. Unless my friend gets the 06s or 07s, then I'll try to get interior pics. Idk...

I think the 07s might be running better too. Before they smelled like burning oil, but now they don't smell bad. I remember a year ago we'd be following those in our car and the smell of the re-gen would go into our car, with our windows closed.

On 2017-03-11 at 1:07 PM, MCI102A3 said:

When I was Downtown last week, I saw one of the 16 Novas, and the left side engine cover's already rusting!

They did operate during the winter. Water, salt and metal tend to not mix very well, alas rust. I'm not too sure what material Nova uses for parts such as hatches and doors, but it's metal, it rusts, regardless of how well the bus is maintained.

1 minute ago, J. Bullock said:

They did operate during the winter. Water, salt and metal tend to not mix very well, alas rust. I'm not too sure what material Nova uses for parts such as hatches and doors, but it's metal, it rusts, regardless of how well the bus is maintained.

Yeah, I know that, but it does seems pretty weird when something that's practically brand-new is already rusting, like. It's probably covered by warranty anyways, but doesn't seem good when it's rusting and not even 6 months old yet.

3 minutes ago, MCI102A3 said:

Yeah, I know that, but it does seems pretty weird when something that's practically brand-new is already rusting, like. It's probably covered by warranty anyways, but doesn't seem good when it's rusting and not even 6 months old yet.

A rusted engine cover doesn't affect service quality, it's an easy fix. Industrial strength CLR? Lol.

Just now, J. Bullock said:

A rusted engine cover doesn't affect service quality, it's an easy fix. Industrial strength CLR? Lol.

Agreed, it's more of an embarrassment on the part of Nova than anything else. It still runs good.

17 minutes ago, danmackay said:

Today in sightings car 101 doing the south go shuttle. Well then.

They had a car running Route 11 a few weeks back smh.

12 hours ago, danmackay said:

Today in sightings car 101 doing the south go shuttle. Well then.

I think some people are just simply opting to take the 3A/3B and getting off at Country Lane and Dean Avenue. Especially when the shuttle stops running at 8:15 PM, I have seen some people miss the connection by an hour since it stops running. Or making alternative arrangements to make the next few kilometres to the final destination. 

Especially at night, there are no lights or sidewalks along Mapleview. 

12 hours ago, MCI102A3 said:

They had a car running Route 11 a few weeks back smh.

I have been on the Route 11. It doesn't even really service the neighbourhood along with how the residential area is driveways full of cars too. 

When the automobile is king in that small neighbourhood, people will opt to drive even if the Route 11 takes less than 10 minutes from there to Park Place. Connivence.  

7 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

I think some people are just simply opting to take the 3A/3B and getting off at Country Lane and Dean Avenue. Especially when the shuttle stops running at 8:15 PM, I have seen some people miss the connection by an hour since it stops running. Or making alternative arrangements to make the next few kilometres to the final destination. 

Especially at night, there are no lights or sidewalks along Mapleview. 

I have been on the Route 11. It doesn't even really service the neighbourhood along with how the residential area is driveways full of cars too. 

When the automobile is king in that small neighbourhood, people will opt to drive even if the Route 11 takes less than 10 minutes from there to Park Place. Connivence.  

Yeah, I have a feeling that route ain't gonna last long, despite the fanfare it received when it opened a year ago. I rode it once with one of the board members and I think, besides us, we only had a couple people. I might as well make the most of it before the time comes.