Barrie Transit

MCI102A3

Route 100C/100D will resume on weekdays starting June 15th and extended to cover Saturday to supplement 100A/100B. Previously 100C/100D ran only on weekdays. 

https://www.barrie.ca/Living/Getting Around/BarrieTransit/Documents/Route 100 Brochure Update (Effective June 15 2020).pdf

It would be nice to resume Route 8 to regular service too (30 minute headway), but it would require additional resources since they don't work by implementing for one side. Noting the northbound section has the higher demand where as the southern section, it is lower. If they only implemented 30 minute headway on the northbound section, it would require 2 additional buses. 3 more to cover the south-end.

Johnson Street is known as a hotspot. Especially once seeing one scheduled bus and two backup buses to cover the demand. Once the final passenger disembarks and the scheduled bus running at safe capacity, backup bus goes out of service and heads to where needed. Most of the demand is from the students and usually, they get off at Walmart. Though I have seen Route 8 buses reach seated capacity even in a few stops or the downtown terminal. 

Final comments:

Rear door boarding continues until July 2nd (tentative) pending safety measures and city faculties reopening (only places to buy monthly passes). It has been in-effect since March 20th.

Hourly service was implemented formally since April 6th. It is going to be a very staged approach since if the scheduled bus is full, they would request another bus to pickup who is left behind. Which the seating is operating at half capacity with the accessible area blocked off. 

IMG_3121-1.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Concept of operator shields in the doc attached. If it doesn't work, here is the link to access:

http://barrie.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4573745&GUID=A402DFDB-DF00-4D3B-BE72-EA18D41D7F58&Options=&Search=&fbclid=IwAR0JPqL6i4l_RfYFl-yJyCZ7rgDZtXgyvBXjgEfCNH6eRpDwnXDYspx6AOo

Essentially, the shields are similar to what Go Transit employs on their buses. Noting they are still working out how to address ride cards since operators have to handle them to clip a ride off the card. Especially since handling multiple during each shift, there is still plenty of usage in this fare category. Noting that they were trialing smart cards for a small group of college students which would be a solution to address the issue.

Fare paid services are now aimed to be resume in mid-July pending the design and installation for the entire fleet. Once a date is confirmed, there will be a minimum of two weeks notice. To prepare and transition people to regular services. 

Final comments:

For the monthly pass holders for March, the agreement is most likely going to be an exchange for the new pass or a refund. I assume is filling out a form providing the pass and they will mail a cheque for the prorated amount. People who got an April pass would just be refunded the full value.

May and June were not available. I still have my March pass waiting to be traded in towards a new pass. 

200622 Barrie Transit Update.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

A new PA announcement has been pushed out to the next stop announcement system to notify people of the mandatory mask policy on July 13th. I don't have the exact wording, but it is pretty much stating that masks are required while taking public transit. Which is played at random intervals where as previous service change announcements, they were played when approaching a transit hub.

Free transit and rear door boarding continues until further notice. It is stated it will continue until mid-July, but it also hinges on when the barriers arrive and installed on all buses. The date the measure was implemented is March 20th along with taping off every other seat.

Hourly service has been in-effect formally since April 6th. Between March 17th until April 5th, it was pretty much a mixed bag since some routes were reduced to hourly and some were running regular service (30 minutes versus 60 minutes). It is unsure when 30 minute regular service will be brought back. Noting the college is doing remote learning (online) for the upcoming semester reducing transit demand. 

A new PR code has been added saying "masks required." Which takes effect on July 13th (my last post). Plus they are replacing the old service notice card on every other seat with a new version. 1502 has it currently on all seats including the blue seats (accessible area). Don't have a photo of that area. 

Here are some photos. Will update when possible (night trip had a huge crowd).

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is happening with the planned route changes?

Last time I was in Barrie (pre-covid) I was talking to one of the drivers and he was telling me that there was a plan in place to modify bus routes (again) to make them a lot more efficient. He said there were going to be less buses running out of the downtown terminal. In fact he said that some buses would only operate out of the Barrie South GO station and some only out of Allandale waterfront station. He said routes like the 8A and 8B would be very modified, so the route would be shorter and divided into many routes or merged into routes. Most of the routes were going to be an hour round trip or shorter. The idea behind it is the busier segments could have much more service and the least busy areas would have less service, and the routes could be improved without adding buses. 

Is it still planned and just delayed due to covid or is it fully cancelled?

6 minutes ago, brianc1981 said:

Does anyone know what is happening with the planned route changes?

Last time I was in Barrie (pre-covid) I was talking to one of the drivers and he was telling me that there was a plan in place to modify bus routes (again) to make them a lot more efficient. He said there were going to be less buses running out of the downtown terminal. In fact he said that some buses would only operate out of the Barrie South GO station and some only out of Allandale waterfront station. He said routes like the 8A and 8B would be very modified, so the route would be shorter and divided into many routes or merged into routes. Most of the routes were going to be an hour round trip or shorter. The idea behind it is the busier segments could have much more service and the least busy areas would have less service, and the routes could be improved without adding buses. 

Is it still planned and just delayed due to covid or is it fully cancelled?

As a driver for Barrie Transit the only thing that I know is that they were doing a survey for opinions a couple months ago. I haven't heard of any planned route changes. 

Edited by CaptainTransit_4488
Reworded message

2 hours ago, CaptainTransit_4488 said:

As a driver for Barrie Transit the only thing that I know is that they were doing a survey for opinions a couple months ago. I haven't heard of any planned route changes. 

This was probably 18 or so months ago when I heard it. But thank you for your response

• 7 months later...
6 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Wonder what they will be used for? Do they even provide services for anyone in Canada?

Probably the same hospital contract that they bought a load of Mississauga EZs for.

I used to love riding those two buses because i could sit right up front like on a Fishbowl or Orion V, and got the first pictures of them in service, on top of making a new driver friend on them. Glad they found a home.

• Like 1