Barrie Transit

MCI102A3

The word you're looking for is combustible, not flammable.

Water freezes, has no lubricating quality, and can corrode metal.

No, I would was looking for "flammable", meaing "easily set on fire".

I take your point that not all liquids are equally suitable to be used as hydralic fluid... but surely it is possible to have a lubricating, non-freezing fluid that also doesn't catch fire?

No, I would was looking for "flammable", meaing "easily set on fire".

I take your point that not all liquids are equally suitable to be used as hydralic fluid... but surely it is possible to have a lubricating, non-freezing fluid that also doesn't catch fire?

Even brake fluid will ignite if heated to a high enough temperature. So will glycol, if the water component boils off.

Automatic transmission fluid ( the hydraulic medium buses use) is not flammable. Put a match to it and find out for yourself.

Under pressure, a leak will cause a fine aerosol mist. That is flammable. The TTC switched to 15w40 engine oil a few years back to reduce the risk, but

It'll still ignite if the conditions are right.

The only thing I can think of off the cuff is some kind of silicone compound, but I've never heard of one with the right viscosity. It'd likely attack the hoses anyhow.

Simplest solution would be a mechanical drive with a clutch ( already in common practice) or electric fans, which have their own fire risks, albeit remote.

I'm no fan of hydraulic fans either, but the best defense is to prevent leaks in the first place, through proper hose routing and clamping techniques I.e. Zip ties are not a substitute for clamps! ( other technicians lurking, take note. :) )

Edit: having said all that, there's this site: www.lubritherm.com

I'm in Barrie now and all I got was Flyers and spotted a Handi Trans bus and didn't see any Orions. I was on Young and the South Barrie GO terminal. When I come back I will try and get some Orions. Pics tonight or tomorrow. I promise

• 4 weeks later...
When talking to the Barrie Director at CUTA.. he informed me Barrie is getting 3 Xcelsiors in Jan and 2 Eldorado's in May.. and they are going to be changing the current and very boring barrie scheme

Could this spell the end of the Orion VI era in Barrie?

When talking to the Barrie Director at CUTA.. he informed me Barrie is getting 3 Xcelsiors in Jan and 2 Eldorado's in May.. and they are going to be changing the current and very boring barrie scheme

thanx for the update...............FINALLY they are going to change their scheme..............

Eldorados for Barrie, absolutely something new for them eh..................I can add Barrie into my visiting list for next spring then~~

And, though our wiki says they're retired, 64497 was on Route 10 Livingstone today (and was the only VI I saw in service).

Interesting info !! When the CTHF was doing the Street Side Guide for the 2011 edition, the 1997 Orion VI buses were not on the roster that we obtained from Barrie. I wonder what this means about 64297 and 64397. Maybe they have all been brought back into service.

Hoping you got a video of it!

I didn't get one as I was conversing with the driver, but I plan on visiting in the near future to do just that. It apparently got some engine work done recently and it does sound great.

Interesting info !! When the CTHF was doing the Street Side Guide for the 2011 edition, the 1997 Orion VI buses were not on the roster that we obtained from Barrie. I wonder what this means about 64297 and 64397. Maybe they have all been brought back into service.

Looking at some other pictures from yesterday, 64397 was also in service. I'm guessing that these will be replaced one-for-one with the new Xelsiors and one of the new ElDorados will replace the Glider.

There is also talk about major route restructuring in 2013...so for all we know they may be staying a little while longer.

Since you rode the bus, did you manage to find out which transmission it had? Wiki only specified it's an Allison transmission.

's a video I got of it today. Hope someone can identify the transmission.

Also see that they have an AA system which appears to be the same one Sarnia uses.

's a video I got of it today. Hope someone can identify the transmission.

Also see that they have an AA system which appears to be the same one Sarnia uses.

Definitely an Allison HT product . Did you get a look at whether it had a tele-flex shifter or an Allison push button shifter?

• 3 weeks later...