bad day for transit and traffic

LF60

first the subways were closed for a period of time, and now city news is talking about a streetcar-auto collision along college that might hold things up there. they also mentioned another of accidents blocking intersections causing delays for busses. before that they were talking about crash, after crash, after crash blocking lanes on all the highways. just in the morning alone there were like 5 crashes out in durham on the 401.

its a bad day today. everyone seems to be crashing. I wonder why

yes, but this does not normally happen on friday. there must be something special today. maybe its a full moon.

Krinos Taste Of The Danforth. Ring a bell? People rushing to get to the event? Thats just my guess.

it was a joke, as I doubt that's the only reason.

My other reason, people don't have any patience. They can't even wait for a subway train. Instead, they jump on the the tracks and just walk to their station.

Krinos Taste Of The Danforth. Ring a bell? People rushing to get to the event? Thats just my guess.
A little early for that. I think that the festival begins at 6:45 p.m. or so, at least that is the time when the TTC diversions in the area start.

Oh c'mon, this was nothing compared to what happened in Thursday in NYC...

First of all, I was heading Coney Island Bound on my N train, when hell broke loose. The train stopped in the middle of nowhere between 86th street in Brooklyn and Coney Island. Then the power went off. Remember, my train was crushloaded (what is this...N trains come like every 20 minutes at 7am?!), and I was one of them standing inside a...sweltering...R32. When I looked outside to see what was going on, I was jaw dropped...A TORNADO HIT BROOKLYN. (I was looking west...so it was Bay Ridge). My train was stalled for about 30 minutes, before it started slowly inching its way to Coney Island.

After when I thought that it was all over (I decided to change my mind and go back to Manhattan), my N train went out of service. So here I was, at Coney Island station, right at the height of rush hour. I must say...no train (not even the D, F, or Q train) showed up until about 40 minutes later, when a crushloaded Q showed up. So i decided to take the Q back to Manhattan. Bad idea; 4 B trains showed up behind the Q at Brighton Beach, and all passed my train by the time we got to Neck Road.

When I got back to Manhattan, it was 10:00am. Ahh...3 hours from Coney Island to Canal Street, welcome to New York.

Now that the sky had cleared, I decided to transfer to "the meat of the MTA", aka, the 6 train. I went Bronx Bound to 59th street to check the cool Apple Store they have at 59th and Grand Army Plaza. And believe me, it was so cool I ended up staying there until 12pm or so.

Everything SEEMED to be okay until around the PM rush, when my dad decided to kill the 6 line and take the R/W line instead, which had to be the dumbest thing my dad has done. Sweltering heat + aftermath of tornado + huge crowd at Prince Street = No train for 20 minutes. After about 12 express trains bypassed the station, a local train finally came (and I managed to squeeze onto the last bits of the edge, therefore my parents couldn't get on). So I rode the train by myself to Union Square, where I waited for my parents. Then I transferred to the L train to see what the fuss is about in that line. I must say, I kinda like the L line, except I didn't ride it long enough (only rode 2 stops to 8th avenue).

I decided to try the A/C/E trains out, but all I keep getting were R32s...(these subways haunted me for at least 3/4 of the trip). Therefore, I decided to wait 15 minutes for an A, and took it to PATT, where I took Gray Line back to the park and ride at Woodbury.

Total time from Prince Street and PATT: 1 hour 10 minutes.

Now back to Toronto...how has it been lately, ever since I left?

Oh c'mon, this was nothing compared to what happened in Thursday in NYC...

First of all ... my train was crushloaded ... I was ... standing ... stalled for about 30 minutes

this is why I dont get on crushload vehicles unless I absouletly have to.

that and I like sitting.

Now back to Toronto...how has it been lately, ever since I left?

You missed last Monday when the PCCs came out for revenue on the 509, three D901s left. WOrd around the board that nothing will be scrapped until September. Taste of the Danforth is on. I don't know what else.

this is why I dont get on crushload vehicles unless I absouletly have to.

that and I like sitting.

Well what do you expect when trains come every 15 minutes during RUSH HOUR?! Add another 10 minutes or so due to flooding in the tunnels.

And I couldn't walk, streets were flooded. Buses were crowded, and they never came. The announcements in New York stating delays makes the TTC feel like they are the king of the world telling everyone to take the shuttles in their inaudible announcements. I did not even understand ONE MTA announcement at all.

This reminds me of the Day After Tomorrow...

You missed last Monday when the PCCs came out for revenue on the 509, three D901s left. WOrd around the board that nothing will be scrapped until September. Taste of the Danforth is on. I don't know what else.

I know CNE is coming soon. Damn...I was hoping to ride the PCCs.

Well what do you expect when trains come every 15 minutes during RUSH HOUR?! Add another 10 minutes or so due to flooding in the tunnels.

And I couldn't walk, streets were flooded. Buses were crowded, and they never came. The announcements in New York stating delays makes the TTC feel like they are the king of the world telling everyone to take the shuttles in their inaudible announcements. I did not even understand ONE MTA announcement at all.

I know you were probably tagging along with your parents. one of the benifits of living on your own is you never have to do that. if I had been in your situation I'd have stayed home.

I know you were probably tagging along with your parents. one of the benifits of living on your own is you never have to do that. if I had been in your situation I'd have stayed home.

Yeah I was, then I got blasted when I got back to my hotel by my mom, saying I chose the Broadway Line (since she KNOWS that I keep ranting on how Broadway Lines have horrible frequencies). But then I told her it was my dad that made me take this (which was the truth), so I bailed myself out.

I should have taken the 6 to Union Square, transfer to the L, get off at 6th and took the 2 to Times Square, but I thought that the 2 skips 14th street (when I found out it doesn't at the end, I was so mad! Missed opportunity on an R142)...therefore I stuck with the A train, which was, again, bad idea, as the R32s continue to haunt me.

But hey, this is New York for you, and I LOVE it! ;)

I heard on the news that some Subway Stations in New York were flooded.

Yes, and unfortunately, one of them I was victimized: Prospect Park, when I was transferring to the Franklin Shuttle from the B. This was around 8:30am, when I gave up with the two trains. I decided to take the A/C back to Manhattan, which caused my return to be around 10:00am.

I know CNE is coming soon. Damn...I was hoping to ride the PCCs.

I love the CNE , carnival ride time, anyone want to come with me, my wife and our friends on the 26 of Aug is welcome

I love the CNE , carnival ride time, anyone want to come with me, my wife and our friends on the 26 of Aug is welcome

I get in free, so I go several times during it, and do one area at a time, I cannot do the whole CNE in one day, to much work for my eyes, I also get frustrated in crowds when I am by myself.

I absolutely will NOT guide a blind person at CNE, I cant handle the crowds very well and dont have enough confidance to do it, I love riding the Streetcars down there, never the Rocket, did that last year the first time I went on my own, NEVER AGAIN, it was a bloody nightmare!

I also sometimes take the 29 Dufferin and just walk in the long way.

Yes, and unfortunately, one of them I was victimized: Prospect Park, when I was transferring to the Franklin Shuttle from the B. This was around 8:30am, when I gave up with the two trains. I decided to take the A/C back to Manhattan, which caused my return to be around 10:00am.

This will conclude my statement, as of what I had to deal with.

No 1 between South Ferry and 34th Street

No 2 between 34th Street and Atlantic Ave

No 3 at all

No 4 between 125th Street and Brooklyn Bridge

No 5 between E180th Street and Bowling Green

No 6 between 86th Street and Brooklyn Bridge

7 are running with extensive delays

A are running local both directions

B are suspended from Brighton Beach and Bedford Park

No C at all

No D between 145th Street and Norwood 205th Street

No E between 23rd-Ely and 71st Ave

No F between Queens Plaza and 179th Street

No G at all

No Franklin Ave shuttle at all

No 42nd Street shuttle at all

J are running with extensive delays

No M between Broad street and Bay Parkway

No Q between Kings Highway and 57th Street

No R between 57th Street and 71st Ave.

No V at all

The lines that weren't listed here are running with massive delays.

Franklin Shuttle was running when I got there, but at an awful speed of 5 km/h. But besides that, the list depicted my day. I also managed to squeeze in the last B train that was leaving Brighton Beach, therefore I evaded that problem as well.

Rant over. Next time when you want to flame at the poor reliability of the TTC Subways, come to New York, visit it for 4 or 5 days, and I guarantee you'll change your mind about the TTC.

Last weekend I was in Toronto coming from the GO train. The train was stopped at the Scarborough GO station and there was a slight delay to the trains because one of the VIA trains is currently occupying the tracks and it's waiting to clear. When we arrived at Union, the conductor told us that we were suppose to arrive at track 3 but instead arrived at track 5. After that, the conductor gives a little "touch" to entertain the passengers:

"If you are leaving the train, please remember to bring your personal belongings with you - even your children." (or something like that). Then the conductor gives his mic to one of the giggling children and this (along with the other passengers laughing this announcement) really sweetens the weekend for sure! But this is just the beginning for GO's delays.

I was suppose to train the 4:13pm train home from Union but it arrived 30 minutes late. The conductor told us that there was an ongoing testing program by CN.

From my experience, it was interesting.

I'll tell you a bad day for transit and traffic: this past Saturday the 11th. Horrible. It was a transit nightmare from the moment I stepped onto the HSR 2 Barton until stepping off the Royal York South in Toronto (at least it was a D40-88, haven't ridden one in years).

Started with Hamilton's Caribana festival in downtown Hamilton. The Barton detoured along tons of different streets, way too many to count. Took about 30 minutes to get to Hughson/King from Barton/James, compared to the usual 10 minutes. Same thing on the GO QEW Express. Took 20 minutes to get out of downtown Hamilton and onto the highway. Also ran into some stop and go on the QEW through Oakville.

Finally got into Toronto and hopped onto the Y-U-S over to the B-D, trying to make my way over to Royal York. Subway went out of service at Bathurst, so I got off and got out, took the Bathurst streetcar to Dundas, got on the 505 Westbound hoping to get to Dundas West. That didn't happen, streetcar went OOS at Lansdowne, had to get on Orion VII 8065 to get to Dundas West station due to bridge construction. Finally got to Dundas West, hopped on the subway to Royal York. Waited about 40 minutes for the Royal York South. It detoured at Norseman. Argh. Got off at a stop very far from where I wanted to go... finally done with the transit nightmare.

So... every mode of transit I took from Hamilton-Toronto was delayed or detoured. Awesome.

This will conclude my statement, as of what I had to deal with.

Franklin Shuttle was running when I got there, but at an awful speed of 5 km/h. But besides that, the list depicted my day. I also managed to squeeze in the last B train that was leaving Brighton Beach, therefore I evaded that problem as well.

Rant over. Next time when you want to flame at the poor reliability of the TTC Subways, come to New York, visit it for 4 or 5 days, and I guarantee you'll change your mind about the TTC.

(O_O) Woah. I think I'll take your word for it. Anyways. 15 headways for a subway line is ridiculous. Looks like New York's subway system is more complicated than I though.

(O_O) Woah. I think I'll take your word for it. Anyways. 15 headways for a subway line is ridiculous. Looks like New York's subway system is more complicated than I though.

Welcome to New York! :unsure:

Manhattan alone is smaller than Toronto (in fact...1/4 the size?), yet it can afford 20+ subway lines. Kinda explains our "third-world technology" a lot, eh?