CTrain - U2 cars

I'm guessing they brought it inside to gut it for parts? Maybe they decided they need to finally get rid of it. I haven't been down that way in a while, but theres still the other written off U2 thats under the tarps on the track by anderson correct? Where abouts is 2057 being kept at?

• 2 weeks later...

Theres a U2 in the paint booth at Anderson, one of its front ends is getting repainted, not sure of the fleet number though... I know its not car 2027 or 2057 though. Nice to see that there still maintaining one of the older cars!!

Theres a U2 in the paint booth at Anderson, one of its front ends is getting repainted, not sure of the fleet number though... I know its not car 2027 or 2057 though. Nice to see that there still maintaining one of the older cars!!

Probably the one that had a pickup truck run a red in front of it on 6th St. at 7th Ave. a month or two ago. There was a bit of body damage on the front of the U2 car, but I don't recall which one it was.

Saw them moving the two cars under tarps from Anderson North tail track yesterday -- towed by Track & Way. After asking around, they're apparently going to try to make the four written off cars into two. Combining the good ends from each car -- 19 and 27 together & 50 and 57 together. Should be an interesting experiment. It's been done before, but not since the early days of LRT after a wreck at the 8th Street crossover.

Saw them moving the two cars under tarps from Anderson North tail track yesterday -- towed by Track & Way. After asking around, they're apparently going to try to make the four written off cars into two. Combining the good ends from each car -- 19 and 27 together & 50 and 57 together. Should be an interesting experiment. It's been done before, but not since the early days of LRT after a wreck at the 8th Street crossover.
cant they just seperate another damaged U2 and join 2 good halves together????????????

maby they took my suggestion lol

Wow, I guess the rumor was true. I thought they would make 1 out of the 4 cars. Wonder witch cars will have witch unit numbers?? Cars 2002 and 2009 were the cars that were split and put back together while the other ends were being repaired.

Saw 2027B end laying on the floor at Anderson the other day its just a shell now, Its A end is parked on one of the storage tracks ready for its new B end. Car 2019 is on dollies looks like they will use the B end and attach it to 2027A end, so I think they might re-use the 2027 fleet number.

Car 2050 is in the body shop on a hoist and it may recieve 2057's A end. Not sure if the trains will get a new paint job and body work (old livery of course) but there are a lot of new (referbed) looking parts laying around. Car 2019 and 2050 look like all the parts have been stripped when they were parked on the tail track. I think the parts on the damaged ends of the trains were used for the other U2s and the good ends were salvaged just for this purpose.

The opening of OBMF might also have something to do with this project, with extra man power and space they are able to finally rebuild these cars.

Last night around 6:30ish, boarded a 202 train at Centre Street with 2003 leading. Got nicely seated and the operator came on saying "this train is breaking down, please everyone can you disembark as this train is now out of service, and there is another McKnight train right behind us."

Anyone know what happened? Train seemed to leave Centre Street station alright... And if he actually carried onto MW, I would've caught my bus. Instead, I got to see it leave.... :-<

Jon

Last night around 6:30ish, boarded a 202 train at Centre Street with 2003 leading. Got nicely seated and the operator came on saying "this train is breaking down, please everyone can you disembark as this train is now out of service, and there is another McKnight train right behind us."

Anyone know what happened? Train seemed to leave Centre Street station alright... And if he actually carried onto MW, I would've caught my bus. Instead, I got to see it leave.... :-<

Jon

May of had a door issue that could not of been fixed. Good chance the train had to be driven in E.D (emergency drive) then parked at Stampede "C" track. Not sure though i'll try to find out..

Saw 2027B end laying on the floor at Anderson the other day its just a shell now, Its A end is parked on one of the storage tracks ready for its new B end. Car 2019 is on dollies looks like they will use the B end and attach it to 2027A end, so I think they might re-use the 2027 fleet number.

Car 2050 is in the body shop on a hoist and it may recieve 2057's A end. Not sure if the trains will get a new paint job and body work (old livery of course) but there are a lot of new (referbed) looking parts laying around. Car 2019 and 2050 look like all the parts have been stripped when they were parked on the tail track. I think the parts on the damaged ends of the trains were used for the other U2s and the good ends were salvaged just for this purpose.

The opening of OBMF might also have something to do with this project, with extra man power and space they are able to finally rebuild these cars.

got any updates on these ?????

got any updates on these ?????

As a matter of fact....yes!

Car 2027 received its new (used) "B" end, car 2019's "B" end is now attached!! 2027 is now awaiting its boggies to be attached and other parts. Its up on a hoist at Anderson. 2019's "A" end is awaiting for its usable parts to be removed and I'm sure that end of the car will be scraped. 2027's "B" end was no where to be seen and I am assuming that it has been sent to the scrapper, last time I seen it, it was laying on the floor at Anderson, it was just a empty shell.

As far as car 2057, it is still in one piece and has not been touched yet, car 2020 I would imagine it is still in the body shop awaiting it's future lease on life.

This morning on my way to work, was on a U2 consist led by 2004 (inbound end), 2026 and 2064, southbound on the 202 from MW. We stopped coming up out of the tunnel between Marlborough and Franklin station. Sat there for a minute or so, and the operator said some stuff about the train having issues, came out from the cab (I normally sit at the front of the inbound car) where he looked at the train from outside, saw nothing hugely out of the norm, came back and while in the cab, let the train go backwards a few times and then sat there again for a little bit. We did manage to actually carry onto Franklin where the train was taken out of service and everyone got off.

I figured he would take the train to the spur track just north of Franklin, but after carrying forward about 2 and 3/4 car lengths, stopped, and he got out, came back and took the train inbound. The 2026 car's inbound end had a pretty substantial thumping noise, sort of like a flat spot on the wheels, but was too frequent to be a flatspot...I think. I could be wrong.

Anyone able to find out what's actually wrong with the car and whether I'll end up having even worse luck? IIRC, this is the second time in a week that 2004 has had issues while I've been on-board...

Jon

As a matter of fact....yes!

Car 2027 received its new (used) "B" end, car 2019's "B" end is now attached!! 2027 is now awaiting its boggies to be attached and other parts. Its up on a hoist at Anderson. 2019's "A" end is awaiting for its usable parts to be removed and I'm sure that end of the car will be scraped. 2027's "B" end was no where to be seen and I am assuming that it has been sent to the scrapper, last time I seen it, it was laying on the floor at Anderson, it was just a empty shell.

As far as car 2057, it is still in one piece and has not been touched yet, car 2020 I would imagine it is still in the body shop awaiting it's future lease on life.

cool thanks

This morning on my way to work, was on a U2 consist led by 2004 (inbound end), 2026 and 2064, southbound on the 202 from MW. We stopped coming up out of the tunnel between Marlborough and Franklin station. Sat there for a minute or so, and the operator said some stuff about the train having issues, came out from the cab (I normally sit at the front of the inbound car) where he looked at the train from outside, saw nothing hugely out of the norm, came back and while in the cab, let the train go backwards a few times and then sat there again for a little bit. We did manage to actually carry onto Franklin where the train was taken out of service and everyone got off.

I figured he would take the train to the spur track just north of Franklin, but after carrying forward about 2 and 3/4 car lengths, stopped, and he got out, came back and took the train inbound. The 2026 car's inbound end had a pretty substantial thumping noise, sort of like a flat spot on the wheels, but was too frequent to be a flatspot...I think. I could be wrong.

Anyone able to find out what's actually wrong with the car and whether I'll end up having even worse luck? IIRC, this is the second time in a week that 2004 has had issues while I've been on-board...

Jon

Had an electronic fault. Unfortunately, that siding is not really easily usable. Can only be accessed from running reverse on the inbound track, and only if someone happens to be on scene to throw the manual switch into the tail track. Not conveniant at all. That's why it's probably only used once a year.

Had an electronic fault. Unfortunately, that siding is not really easily usable. Can only be accessed from running reverse on the inbound track, and only if someone happens to be on scene to throw the manual switch into the tail track. Not conveniant at all. That's why it's probably only used once a year.

Actually, from what I gather, it would've been nearly perfect to use. We were all off-loaded at Franklin station and he appeared to be running back to that siding. He was on the correct track...but didn't make it far enough. I saw 2004 in service today with the 2064. The belly car was different...

Jon

Actually, from what I gather, it would've been nearly perfect to use. We were all off-loaded at Franklin station and he appeared to be running back to that siding. He was on the correct track...but didn't make it far enough. I saw 2004 in service today with the 2064. The belly car was different...

Jon

A supervisor was not available to throw the switch, the operator thought they would be using the siding he actually got ready to get parked there, but he was told to carry on out of service inbound as a precaution. The train had no issues the rest of the trip back inbound....it was later changed off I believe.

Jon

They were working on 2003 at Anderson the other night, I believe they were checking its disc brakes...they may have been hanging up or not releasing that night. (disc brakes hold the train when it is at a stop, they engage at around 5km/h on a U2 and 7km/h on a SD160 then they are suppose to release when you power up)

Jon

Exactly...WOULD HAVE been perfect, but no one on scene to switch the train on the siding, and the operator made a mistake by travelling the wrong way towards it. Hence, useless.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like car 2027 (the ex crain train) has 2019s "B" end attached and is on the tracks with it's bogies. Some minor interior assembly is still needed. That's the only car that has been spliced back together at this time. Car 2057, 2050 are still awaiting there "fix".

2019a is waiting to be stripped and is on dollies. Cool to see half a train on the tracks!!