BCT-3122-D800-10240

CTrain - U2 cars

I rode the AC twins when I commuted from Dalhousie to Heritage for school every day back in 2003-2004. I always wondered why they sounded so different, and were sandwiched in between a pair of SD160s. Happy to see 2101 still being used so productively. I'd think that 2102 is making a noble sacrifice to allow its brother to continue doing its noble deeds for many years to come.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Greatcoinz said:

Noticed the Boneyard for the U2s looking empty now. Two halves and 2311 remain. That's it. 

Not to worry it's going to fill up again soon😁😢

32 minutes ago, LRT said:

Not to worry it's going to fill up again soon😁😢

Please tell me they're going to keep and clean up at least one car as a museum piece somewhere! I want to be able to show off the "old" cars to my grandkids one day.

"Back in MY day, the open windows WERE your air conditioning!" 😁

• Haha 2

Has CT started planning a farewell run for the U2s? They've come a long way, and it's amazing to see them going strong after 40 years. They'll surely be missed.

16 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Has CT started planning a farewell run for the U2s? They've come a long way, and it's amazing to see them going strong after 40 years. They'll surely be missed.

I'm sure you can continue to enjoy the U2's for a few more years to come... I believe they're only retiring 20 cars until we can order more replacements

23 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Please tell me they're going to keep and clean up at least one car as a museum piece somewhere! I want to be able to show off the "old" cars to my grandkids one day.

"Back in MY day, the open windows WERE your air conditioning!" 😁

To my understanding they're going to keep one car. It would have been nice for them to save a 3 car consist but who knows it's too soon to say

7 hours ago, LRT said:

I'm sure you can continue to enjoy the U2's for a few more years to come... I believe they're only retiring 20 cars until we can order more replacements

To my understanding they're going to keep one car. It would have been nice for them to save a 3 car consist but who knows it's too soon to say

Wouldn't it be cool to have the U2 car/consist run on a seasonal line from Heritage Station to the Park

25 minutes ago, Blake M said:

Wouldn't it be cool to have the U2 car/consist run on a seasonal line from Heritage Station to the Park

Not much room on Heritage Drive to build a rail or even streetcar line. Personally I would love to see #1046 seasonally running the 502 though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick B said:

Not much room on Heritage Drive to build a rail or even streetcar line. Personally I would love to see #1046 seasonally running the 502 though.

I am curious, what is the diesel consumption like on 1046 versus say an XD40?

23 hours ago, Blake M said:

I am curious, what is the diesel consumption like on 1046 versus say an XD40?

I think a 2007 D40LF is way more efficient than 1046. After 2007 fuel consumption may have got worse because of the new emission laws. Yes that's right... they burned more diesel to end up having cleaner emissions at the tail pipe. (don't quote me on that one)

Those old GMCs were pigs and polluted like nuts. But you can't beat a Detroit Diesel! Hands down I miss those things!!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, LRT said:

I think a 2007 D40LF is way more efficient than 1046. After 2007 fuel consumption may have got worse because of the new emission laws. Yes that's right... they burned more diesel to end up having cleaner emissions at the tail pipe. (don't quote me on that one)

Those old GMCs were pigs and polluted like nuts. What you can't feed a Detroit Diesel hands down I miss those things.

That's interesting to know. I guess another question might be, say the first 73 is also the last 73 (the bus is out of the garage just after 4 and is back around 2:30). Would that have been possible on a New Look, or for that matter, any bus at all?

On 5/26/2018 at 10:07 PM, Nick B said:

Even less room on Centre Street in the north for a rail or streetcar line for the Green Line, but it's happening! 😛

• Haha 3

On 5/27/2018 at 1:33 AM, LRT said:

It's a bit more complex than that - engine technology has come a very long way in the past 20 years - but by and large, that is the truth. On average fuel efficiency has not improved at nearly the same rate as emissions reductions - and it's not for a lack of trying.

Dan

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

Even less room on Centre Street in the north for a rail or streetcar line for the Green Line, but it's happening! 😛

There's a lot of money and ridership driving making rail fit into Centre St, compared to Heritage. 

So, why not run a U2 car in Heritage Park, in the same way they run the old Calgary Streetcar, and for exactly the same reasons? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DarkKeyo said:

So, why not run a U2 car in Heritage Park, in the same way they run the old Calgary Streetcar, and for exactly the same reasons? 

Because from what heard I they don't want one.😁

9 hours ago, DarkKeyo said:

Because it's too new for that concept and doesn't fit the theme?

Arguably, the public is going to be less interested in a recently retired LRT car?

Extra infrastructure will be needed like platforms?

No where near as simple to maintain as a streetcar?

16 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Because it's too new for that concept and doesn't fit the theme?

Arguably, the public is going to be less interested in a recently retired LRT car?

Extra infrastructure will be needed like platforms?

No where near as simple to maintain as a streetcar?

But probably still the simplest way of saving one, other than putting one in a museum. I just figured I'd throw out a more sensible suggestion. The simplest thing, and what will probably happen, is that they just get rid of them all as usually happens when a transit agency is spending lots of money to buy new trains to replace old trains. 

I'm curious as to why you critiqued my idea and not the one about somehow making the 502 a rail route, though. 

4 hours ago, DarkKeyo said:

But probably still the simplest way of saving one, other than putting one in a museum. I just figured I'd throw out a more sensible suggestion. The simplest thing, and what will probably happen, is that they just get rid of them all as usually happens when a transit agency is spending lots of money to buy new trains to replace old trains. 

I'm curious as to why you critiqued my idea and not the one about somehow making the 502 a rail route, though. 

The best option for a U2 is CT to keep one. Given they've retained 1046 already, it's not out of the realm of possibility for them to keep an iconic LRV. Allegedly ETS is already planning on saving one up here, with apparently a spare set of seats to restore a car to originalish condition. Fortunately, Edmonton also has the Edmonton Radial Railway Society who could well take on a car, as other operating museums have. Unfortunately, nothing like the ERRS exists for Calgary. If it was an organization like the ERRS that ran the Heritage Park steetcar then I would have no doubt that a U2 would end up there.

Others had already pointed out the lack of space to make the 502 rail line.

On 5/29/2018 at 3:56 PM, M. Parsons said:

The best option for a U2 is CT to keep one. Given they've retained 1046 already, it's not out of the realm of possibility for them to keep an iconic LRV. Allegedly ETS is already planning on saving one up here, with apparently a spare set of seats to restore a car to originalish condition. Fortunately, Edmonton also has the Edmonton Radial Railway Society who could well take on a car, as other operating museums have. Unfortunately, nothing like the ERRS exists for Calgary. If it was an organization like the ERRS that ran the Heritage Park steetcar then I would have no doubt that a U2 would end up there.

Others had already pointed out the lack of space to make the 502 rail line.

Sorry for bumping an old post, but I would think ERRS wouldn't have much interest in a U2, considering what happened with Hannover 601. 

It might be a bit different because they were City of Edmonton, but then there's still the need for higher platforms, etc.

9 hours ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Sorry for bumping an old post, but I would think ERRS wouldn't have much interest in a U2, considering what happened with Hannover 601. 

It might be a bit different because they were City of Edmonton, but then there's still the need for higher platforms, etc.

What happened with 601 is a Hannover group expressed interest and the ERRS generously said yes, get it shipped and it's yours. There was a lot of interest locally in the car and it was very useful. The ERRS never wanted it gone.

The biggest challenge for the ERRS would be space to store the car. 

• Like 2

Car 2002 took a major dump this morning. It might be a while before (or if) it's back in service. I personally think that this could be it for the oldest warrior in the fleet.

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Pantograf said:

Car 2002 took a major dump this morning. It might be a while before (or if) it's back in service. I personally think that this could be it for the oldest warrior in the fleet.

Please do explain!

• Like 1