CTrain - U2 cars

For awhile, I had been wondering what was happening with U2 car #2019 after it had been involved in a Fatality accident at 28th St. N.E. I found out the other day, that it is currently stored inside the Haysboro storage building. I am still not sure what is happening with that unit wether it will be fixed or not. I have heard only rumors that it would be parted out and scrapped. But I still have not heard anything official.

Yeah, I heard a rumor that the frame on 2019 may be bent, which would make it a strong candidate for scrapping. Also, I have heard that there is a bit of a backlog for maintenance on some LRVs, and was wondering about how many U2s haven't been in service for awhile. Anyone know what happened to the U2 LRVs in the consist that hit the young man at 8th Street West Station last week? I think 2018 was involved.

Yeah, I heard a rumor that the frame on 2019 may be bent, which would make it a strong candidate for scrapping. Also, I have heard that there is a bit of a backlog for maintenance on some LRVs, and was wondering about how many U2s haven't been in service for awhile. Anyone know what happened to the U2 LRVs in the consist that hit the young man at 8th Street West Station last week? I think 2018 was involved.

Probably in service, I heard they had to bring in a crane to lift the car to remove the body, can anybody confirm this?

• 2 weeks later...

Found an interesting sight this evening when I was out taking photo's:

ctrain-aug21-1.jpg

ctrain-aug21-2.jpg

2043 and 2035 running, in service, by themselves. I had spotted 2040 sitting on the tail track north of C platform at Vic Park by itself, likely it was with these two earlier today. Caught these two as they came into Marlborough and rode it to Whitehorn, and it was still in service heading back to downtown when I jumped on #73.

Found an interesting sight this evening when I was out taking photo's:

ctrain-aug21-1.jpg

ctrain-aug21-2.jpg

2043 and 2035 running, in service, by themselves. I had spotted 2040 sitting on the tail track north of C platform at Vic Park by itself, likely it was with these two earlier today. Caught these two as they came into Marlborough and rode it to Whitehorn, and it was still in service heading back to downtown when I jumped on #73.

Hmmm... Maybe 2040 became a "sick car", or it had to be taken off due to mechanical problems! But yeah, this happens occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Apparently 2050 was involved in an accident a few weeks ago with a vehicle, the skirt along one side is all torn up.

Thanks for reminding me about that Kevin. However, I remember the fella at Anderson garage you and I were talking to mentioned that it was a few months ago when it happened and that the car had been stored for some time in the Haysboro Storage facility.

Thanks for reminding me about that Kevin. However, I remember the fella at Anderson garage you and I were talking to mentioned that it was a few months ago when it happened and that teh car had been stored for some time in the Haysboro Storage facility.

2050 was the car hit by a stolen car at 58th Ave months ago.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any updates on whats happened to the car that was under the tarp? The U2 roster over on trainweb now lists that 2050 has been retired as well.

Well, I guess #2050 has been retired as well as you mentioned. I noticed today that there is another U2 car under a grey tarp parked outside just north of the Anderson "North Call On" behind #2019 which is also under a tarp.

I guess with all these new SD160s they can afford to decommission some of the older U2 cars. Have any of those cars been refurbed? Are they still rebuilding the U2 cars?

They actually want to keep as many LRVs out there as they can to provide as much service as they can to the riding public. U2s like the GMC buses will one day be all gone but not all at once. As long as they can be fixed and are still running Calgary Transit will keep them out there.

The 3 U2s which are out of commision are all out due to accidents. One of them had to be cut into half many years ago after an accident with a truck. There was another one from last february which had an accident with a truck at Franklin station. As far as I know, the only one ever to be officially written off was the one that was cut up.

The U2's still have at least 5 more years, the earliest any plan the city has released indicated is 2013 for the original ones, the later orders probably closer to 2023 or beyond. All the current orders of SD160 have been just to keep up with growth, and the next order (34 more by 2012) will be for growth only as well (21 for the WLRT, 7 and 6 for the NW and NE extensions)