Timmins Transit

Timmins Man

So you're saying there in Regina!? That wasn't the case when I visited Regina not that long ago.

Apparently there are still three buses in Timmins (TTC 8257, Oakville 724 and St John 275). All others were scrapped including Oakville 720. They are at a temporary storage facility in Timmins that is not far from the garage, but I do not know where it is.

The future of 8257 appears bright as New Flyer has expressed interest in bringing it back to Manitoba. For the others, I do not know what will happen with them.

Kevin

The future of 8257 appears bright as New Flyer has expressed interest in bringing it back to Manitoba. For the others, I do not know what will happen with them.

Kevin

What are the plans for it in Manitoba? It should be going back to the TTC if you ask me and they should restore it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Timmins will get 2 more 40 foot 3rd generation LFS's.

See:

http://www.metrodemontreal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12325

Yup and both were in revenue service today (and I believe today is their first day out). I saw 10-95 on the 7:30am 16 South Porcupine and I saw 10-96 on the 4:30pm 31 Howard / Brousseau run. This is all we are getting for this year. According to the purchase agreement we get 2 each year in 08, 09 and 10 and 1 next year and 1 in 2012. They look exactly like last year's 09-93 and 09-94 on the outside. Didn't get a chance to ride them, not sure if they are exactly the same on the inside. From a quick glimpse of 10-96 I think the seat backs are different from last year's.

Yup and both were in revenue service today (and I believe today is their first day out). I saw 10-95 on the 7:30am 16 South Porcupine and I saw 10-96 on the 4:30pm 31 Howard / Brousseau run. This is all we are getting for this year. According to the purchase agreement we get 2 each year in 08, 09 and 10 and 1 next year and 1 in 2012. They look exactly like last year's 09-93 and 09-94 on the outside. Didn't get a chance to ride them, not sure if they are exactly the same on the inside. From a quick glimpse of 10-96 I think the seat backs are different from last year's.

and they put the worst driver on 10-95 for the afternoon 16... she drives like she freakin stole buses :)

also the seats in 95 are the same as 94

the only thing thats different is the bell

I noticed the different bell today. I rode 10-95 on the Schumacher and then right after 10-96 on the Howard / Brousseau. The seats are the same and the bell sounds like the one they use on TTC vehicles. I personally like the new bell. Not sure if the drivers would because it sounds softer than the classic bell tone.

I noticed the different bell today. I rode 10-95 on the Schumacher and then right after 10-96 on the Howard / Brousseau. The seats are the same and the bell sounds like the one they use on TTC vehicles. I personally like the new bell. Not sure if the drivers would because it sounds softer than the classic bell tone.

Is it like a double beep?

No the sound is a single beep.

I know what you guys are talking about, this bell is now standard on all Nova's.

Not the beep beep sound you're talkin', eh? I guess it's the kind of "peng or pong". :)

I know what you guys are talking about, this bell is now standard on all Nova's.

Not the beep beep sound you're talkin', eh? I guess it's the kind of "peng or pong". :P

Yeah it's not a beep sounds. It's close to the one in the video link. I personally prefer the new sound over the traditional bell.

• 1 month later...

I took #85 (2006 Nova LFS ex-demo) home tonight from work and noticed that it has a new bell to match the two new Nova LFS's we received this year. I wonder if Timmins Transit plans to change all of their buses to that electronic bell (or at least the Nova's).

It probably broke and had to be replaced, I don't think they would put a whole new bell in to match a newer bus.

You're probably right. I think that bus has been off the road for a little while so that must be the issue. I prefer them to the standard bell anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder since announcing the stops are mandatory. WHY is it that only some drivers with Timmins Transit does the announcements. i think i can count like 3 or 4 that actually do. are the rest to good for this duty?

I wonder since announcing the stops are mandatory. WHY is it that only some drivers with Timmins Transit does the announcements. i think i can count like 3 or 4 that actually do. are the rest to good for this duty?

I honestly have no idea why many of our drivers do not announce the stops. There really is no excuse in most buses because there are microphones. The same thing goes for North Bay. I was there 2 weekends ago and I noticed that only 1 driver was calling the stops. I guess they think that the labels that they put on bus sign posts at each stop suffice. I wonder what would happen if either one was audited. I know that Sudbury got in quite a bit of trouble when there were drivers who did not announce the stops. Maybe we should invest in the automatic station announcements like Sudbury is getting. Then again our city would never invest the money in that.

Since it`s mandatory by law Timmins should get the automated announcements in. The drivers have more important things to worry about then calling out bus stops.

Since it`s mandatory by law Timmins should get the automated announcements in. The drivers have more important things to worry about then calling out bus stops.

Law states that announcements must be made, It says nothing about being automated. :)