YRT 2008 Draft Plans

Articulated

YRT has released it's 2008 Draft Plan, divided into north and south sections for easy download, and to make it easier to find your section. PDF's are available here.

Highlights of changes:

North Section

31: Service removed east of Aurora GO Station, replaced by new 33A. Rush hour only service.

33: New branch from western loop and loops using the former 31's routing.

34: Service removed from entire route.

53: New route (most likely named Green Lane) from East Gwimbury GO Station to Newmarket Terminal via Green Lane, Woodspring, Fort Wilson and Davis Dr.

58: Extended south to Wellington.

59: Combines 44 and 55B into 1 route.

NOTE: The area around route 84 (Oak Ridges) and the area of Newmarket east of Bayview/2nd Concession/GO station have been labeled as 'Restructuring Zone's. No idea what it means yet, especially since there have been no major changes around the Oak Ridges area.

South Section

Routes serving Markham-Stouffville Hospital have new looping arangements.

VIVA Purple, 1: Extended to Cornell Terminal.

2A: Rerouting at the east end, new rush hour segment.

4A: Extended east along Donald Cousins Parkway to Cornell Terminal.

9: The north-south section of the former 9A becomes its own route, and extended north to Millard St.

15: Former 9/9A east-west part. Service between York-Durham Line and Highway 48 along Main St. Stouffville, Millard, and Hoover Park.

23: Rush hour looping extended to Major Mac.

27: Extended north of Highway 7. It now has a direct connection to another YRT route (77).

42: New route from Unionville GO along South Unionville Dr. and The Bridle Walk to Major Mac.

45: New route from Markville Mall along Raymerville and Mingay to Major Mac.

81: New route from Bernard Terminal along Yonge, Gamble, Seylwn and Jefferson to future Jefferson VIVA station.

85/85A: 85 ends at Vaughan Mills Terminal. 85A runs between Yonge St. and Napa Valley.

105: Rush hour looping extended to Major Mac. Rush-hour loop now estimated to be 8 km long.

165F: Expanded rush hour looping to Teston Rd. Rush-hour loop now estimated to be 8 km long.

215: Replaces 9A's rush hour routing.

224D: Expanded northern routing to Elgin Mills. Looping now estimated to be over 5 km long.

244: New Beaver Creek shuttle. Operates around 25D, 85A/B's routing.

Overall: York Region is growing. All the changes for 2008 are mainly extensions of current routes, and now serve areas that are outside of the current service area. Most of the extensions in the Southern area are northwards or eastwards, past where there is currently service. Kudos to YRT for extending service to these developments while they are being developed. If YRT had waited until 2-3 years after these subdivisions had been fully settled, they would have become car-only neighbourhoods, because the transit alternative was not there. It would have been extremely hard to gain riders in these subdivisions when transit service was finally implemented. Transit-friendly construction of these neighbourhoods also will play a huge part in YRT's future success.

85/85A: 85 ends at Vaughan Mills Terminal. 85A runs between Yonge St. and Napa Valley.

105: Rush hour looping extended to Major Mac. Rush-hour loop now estimated to be 8 km long.

I think you misunderstood. Route 85 will be restructured as follows: 85 Vaughan Mills - Markham-Stouffville Hospital, 85A will be discontinued and replaced by route 244 Beaver Creek Shuttle. 85B will remain unchanged. Service to Napa Valley will be replaced by route 25 which will run from Yonge to Napa Valley.

I don't think you will see the extension of route 105 until at least fall 2008. There are not enough houses built there yet to justify an extension of the bus service. Construction is in full force at the moment and I think by next fall there will be enough people there to justify a bus service.

NOTE: The area around route 84 (Oak Ridges) and the area of Newmarket east of Bayview/2nd Concession/GO station have been labeled as 'Restructuring Zone's. No idea what it means yet, especially since there have been no major changes around the Oak Ridges area.

Just taking a guess here, but I'd be willing to bet that these zones are areas that will see complete, or at least, major overhauls of the routes in the area. YRT probably hasn't confirmed the needs of the area, or the changes that will take place yet.

15: Former 9/9A east-west part. Service between York-Durham Line and Highway 48 along Main St. Stouffville, Millard, and Hoover Park.

I'm quite confused by the routing of the 15. Does it operate in both directions on Millard, Hoover Park and Main Street?

Service to Napa Valley will be replaced by route 25 which will run from Yonge to Napa Valley.

Apparently 85A still exists on the map. It runs from Napa Valley to Yonge as mentioned before. I assume the looping at Yonge will be around the South Hill Shopping Centre access road from 16th Ave.

Apparently 85A still exists on the map. It runs from Napa Valley to Yonge as mentioned before. I assume the looping at Yonge will be around the South Hill Shopping Centre access road from 16th Ave.
The map has a few ommissions/mistakes. I couldn't find the proposed route 522 Markham Community bus on it either.

I'm quite confused by the routing of the 15. Does it operate in both directions on Millard, Hoover Park and Main Street?

I'm confused too. I heard that buses would run westbound on Hoover Park Dr. only west of Ninth Line, and would return via east on Main St (with no westbound service west of Ninth Line). Also, Hoover Park isn't built between Park and Ninth Line yet, and neither is Millard from Highway 48 to somewhere west of West Lawn Cres.

85A still clearly exists on the map, but its colour has changed to pink, and is seperate from 85/85B. It can not have the number 25, since that number is already taken by 25D Don Mills, which is also why 21 was skipped (for a future extension of 21 Brimley, which is no longer shown on the 2008 map).

The map has a few ommissions/mistakes. I couldn't find the proposed route 522 Markham Community bus on it either.

522 exists. It's hard to see because it's surrounded by other routes, especially around Markham-Stouffville Hospital. I wouldn't be that surprised to see it eliminated, however, since it has a fairly low boarding level.

While i disagree with your assessment that YRT extending service to new developments will prevent them from becoming car-only, these are some good service improvements, especially 105's extension.

IIRC The 105 extension might be good in rush-hours, even though it's farm country north of Rutherford.

IIRC The 105 extension might be good in rush-hours, even though it's farm country north of Rutherford.
By fall/winter of next year the area bounded by Dufferin, Rutherford, GO rail line and Major Mackenzie will be very well built up. Construction is going on there at full speed. Besides, the extension at present is only planned for rush hours. Also, by the looks of things development will soon start on the east side of Dufferin between Rutherford and Major Mackenzie.

By fall/winter of next year the area bounded by Dufferin, Rutherford, GO rail line and Major Mackenzie will be very well built up. Construction is going on there at full speed. Besides, the extension at present is only planned for rush hours. Also, by the looks of things development will soon start on the east side of Dufferin between Rutherford and Major Mackenzie.

Believe me, developers can turn 4 square km of farming fields into 4 square km of housing very quickly as long as they have the permits. I would not be surprised for the area to be fully developed in less than 1 year.

Believe me, developers can turn 4 square km of farming fields into 4 square km of housing very quickly as long as they have the permits. I would not be surprised for the area to be fully developed in less than 1 year.
Believe me I know. :P However, there are still plots of land with no visible signs of construction that is why I am giving a timeline of fall-winter 2008. As well, I don't know about you, but I am in that area pretty frequently, so I know what I am talking about.

There's more in the 2008 Draft Plan that YRTeen didn't mention.

- Viva Green is becoming a WEEKDAY RUSH-HOUR ROUTE!!!!!! ;):P:P I guess this was due to the extremely low ridership on off-peak/weekends. Service to Don Mills Stn will be replaced by 90 Leslie South.

-YRT fare will be accepted on GO service in Keswick. This will connect Keswick with the rest of the YRT network. Ha!

- Viva Green is becoming a WEEKDAY RUSH-HOUR ROUTE!!!!!! :ph34r::blink::blink: I guess this was due to the extremely low ridership on off-peak/weekends. Service to Don Mills Stn will be replaced by 90 Leslie South.
I read somewhere (possibly in Metro) that an official at YRT said that the Viva Green cuts are temporary and that the service will be back once the Markham Centre area is built up. The person said that the current service levels were premature, but the service will be restored possibly next fall.

I read somewhere (possibly in Metro) that an official at YRT said that the Viva Green cuts are temporary and that the service will be back once the Markham Centre area is built up. The person said that the current service levels were premature, but the service will be restored possibly next fall.

yes it was metro.next fall sounds a bit early to me, but the idea is a good one nontheless. eventually add it back

why dont they do this with VIVA's Pink and Green

untitled-35.gif

have it run from Finch to RHC out to McCowan, then back to Unionville, and down to Don Mills (picking up people), then back up, then out from Unionville (picking up people) back to RHC and Finch, in the mornings

then in the afternoons, run it from Finch to RHC (dropping off people) to Unionville, then to Don Mills and back up to Unionville (dropping off people), then out to McCowan, before going back to RHC and Finch?

I didn't mention VIVA Green and VIVA Purple's reductions because they've been covered a few times otherwhere on the board.

According to the table of service improvements, they mention things not shown on the maps (like 41's proposed rerouting, they've had this in there for 3 years in a row now), and the map labels 85A as what the table calls route 25. 85A is better IMO, since number 25 is already taken by TTC route 25D, and it parallels route 85 anyway. They didn't call the extension of route 4 a new route, but even reused the 4A branch letter.

Did you get the new YRT map that just came out yesterday? It will show you the "proper" 15 route. Both ways on Main Street east of 9th Line, loops through Eastern Gate, then at the west side, south on 9th (serving Parkview Village), west on Hoover Park, north on Hwy 48, and east on Main.