Metro Transit

SMS

On 3/30/2022 at 8:27 AM, niatrans10 said:

there's a pic on it on an FB group, it went to Madison

What FB group is this? This thread is for Metro Transit in the Twin Cities. I believe the agency has 20 Xcelsior diesel artics on order for the year, all of them in the BRT branded style. Next two years will come the commuter replacement coaches, 91 in all. 

Darn, was hoping they would be going with frameless windows on those to match the new Metro Transit Gilligs.

Trying to figure out what exactly these 29 will replace though...

16 30 footers. We have 8 that can be replaced; 2008 6090-6097 = 8 buses. Then there's 2011 60027-60030, 60040-60043 = 8 buses. But technically those should be going for another couple years unless they're already past 500k.

+3 for expansion

40 footers. 6046, 6047, 2608, 4254, 1200-1205 = 10

... so if the 2011 30 footers are also getting replaced then we're at 29. However if those will be staying around then perhaps the 14xx or some/all of the 16xx will be transferred back to MT instead.

On 4/6/2022 at 4:27 AM, MVTArider said:

Darn, was hoping they would be going with frameless windows on those to match the new Metro Transit Gilligs.

Trying to figure out what exactly these 29 will replace though...

16 30 footers. We have 8 that can be replaced; 2008 6090-6097 = 8 buses. Then there's 2011 60027-60030, 60040-60043 = 8 buses. But technically those should be going for another couple years unless they're already past 500k.

+3 for expansion

40 footers. 6046, 6047, 2608, 4254, 1200-1205 = 10

... so if the 2011 30 footers are also getting replaced then we're at 29. However if those will be staying around then perhaps the 14xx or some/all of the 16xx will be transferred back to MT instead.

Per the staff report it appears they are downgrading some 40-footers to 30-footers. 

Who delivers these buses? I sorta wanna try to see if I can ride one back to the Cities. I know for sure it's not Gillig.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 6:27 AM, MVTArider said:

I heard from another driver (who is always talking to the shop) that they aren't going to order the frameless windows anymore on our regular buses, and they will only be getting them on the BRT buses. Due to the cost and difficulty of changing them when they get broken. Believe it or not we get a lot of broken windows from people getting mad and hitting the side of the bus or being childish and throwing things at the bus if the driver won't let them on, etc.....

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2022 at 11:11 PM, MNbusdriver said:

I heard from another driver (who is always talking to the shop) that they aren't going to order the frameless windows anymore on our regular buses, and they will only be getting them on the BRT buses. Due to the cost and difficulty of changing them when they get broken. Believe it or not we get a lot of broken windows from people getting mad and hitting the side of the bus or being childish and throwing things at the bus if the driver won't let them on, etc.....

I believe it, I've been on a few rides where someone starts banging on the back curbside window as the bus is pulling out of a stop. Heck, I'm surprised there aren't cracked windows just from slamming into potholes all day on some of these streets. It's a shame our buses, and more importantly our operators, aren't respected more.

By the way how is it for the bus operators now that masks are no longer 'required'? I imagine not having to deal with enforcing or asking for riders to wear masks is welcome. Though I'm sure some operators would prefer if everyone was still wearing masks.

I saw a guy break a window on the 84 many years ago. He was angry at the driver for something, got out the back door and hit the window, which cracked with one hit. Then he ran off.

I would imagine most drivers are happy to not have to enforce the mask policy. When I was in Seattle, SF, and LA I noticed that drivers don't even enforce fares so as to limit confrontations.

On 4/27/2022 at 8:46 AM, Tcmetro said:

Question about fares because it doesn't seem to be addressed on the websites. 

Do MVTA, SWT, Plymouth, and Maple Grove accept Metro Transit mobile app tickets?

Yes, the app is intended to be a regional form of fare payment when the Met Council did the planning years ago. 

BTW: Some reporting about what's proposed at the legislature for transit this session. The House wants to invest >$30M in Met Council for electric buses, transit shelters, aBRT, and discounted fares for the summer. https://minnesotareformer.com/2022/04/29/divided-legislature-hits-usual-roadblocks-on-transportation-deal/

Hello everyone, I created a new Facebook group here for transit fans in the Twin Cities area. I looked around for an existing group and didn’t really find anything. If you are interested please check it out. If you can contribute photos or other intel, it would be greatly appreciated. If you know anyone else who might be interested please send them an invite. I myself am a former Metro Transit of about 5 years, I’ve worked at 3 out of the 5 garages and driven about 70% of the routes. I left last year because it’s been getting so bad putting up with the abuse from some of the customers and other factors. It is a stressful job which is hard on a person after a while. But anyway I still love the buses and will probably be back to transit driving for another company someday. Thanks 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/521689702663522/?ref=share

• Thanks 1

Southbound Orange Line to be detoured between Downtown and 46th St this weekend because of pavement repair. Expect delays. Will make for good photo ops in Whittier

CF246CF7-6558-483B-B8DD-71BE55EDCDC8.png

I finally got around to adding the list of cutaways for fixed route and TransitLink. Metmo is next, but it's a huge list. If you have the list, I would appreciate the help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2022 at 11:13 AM, hp2ena said:

Metro Transit just listed their last D60 on property for auction:

They also listed a 2008 Gillig BRT HEV that was involved in a crash on Route 23 about a year ago: 

3200 was sold for $5225, the most I've ever seen for a Metro Transit bus at a state auction. 7166 was bought by LEA.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spirits Transport said:

Seen two BRT SPEC XD60’s at East Metro yesterday. Was it related to Gold or Purple?

Could be something to do with Gold. Maybe a press tour or something. Or just showing current powertain stuff to the maintenance team. Could also be they're temporarily assigned there for this weekends upcoming Green Line shuttles due to maintenance.

---

Anyone else noticing issues with their GoTo card not working? Mine works fine on the buses. But I noticed a couple days ago only the older validators on the LRT platforms will read it and accept the current pass on it, newer ones reject and say needs funds. TVMs I checked would not recognize there's a card to read at all. I noticed a couple other riders getting error messages when tapping their cards too so not sure if it's a system glitch or something.

• Like 1