Metro Transit

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the new SWLRT cars sitting on the Sabo siding 

Now I did say I have something on Metro Transit's bus fleet. Here is 994 on January 1995. This bus was purchased used, it was original to AC Transit. Several AC Transit MAN articulated buses that were

RTB was the "Regional Transit Board". It's been a while since I've read up on it (there's a good amount of material in the downtown Minneapolis library stacks). From what I remember, Metropolitan

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Big CJ said:

This is 2135 in a blizzard in March 2007. I assume this bus and the others in that series were being returned to Metro from MVTA? 

Snow Emergency

All of those buses are gone. 2111 (which is in a series before this unit) is stored just outside of Willmar. Some ended up in Lafayette, IN.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Big CJ said:

This is 2135 in a blizzard in March 2007. I assume this bus and the others in that series were being returned to Metro from MVTA?

Nice find! Yes, those were some of the ones that were operated by Metro Transit when they were operating some of the MVTA service. They were run out of South I think.

Here's a old photo of 2129 at Gateway on the 460N in 2003.

2003_460_at_gateway.jpg

Additionally some 19xx and 23xx Phantoms also carried the MVT livery. Here's AVTS in 2002 with 1929 and what I suspect is a 30xx D60 in front of it.

2002_passengers_boarding_at_avts.jpg

Images are from MVTA's historical gallery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I seem to recall taking a Metro Transit (MVTA liveried) D60 on the 460 or 465 lines back in 2006 when I moved from Minneapolis to the south suburbs. I think the Metro Transit contract with MVTA ended that year, likely because MVTA finally had enough of their own equipment to operate their schedule.

That 9841 bus is interesting. Any idea on the model?

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, MVTArider said:

Nice find! Yes, those were some of the ones that were operated by Metro Transit when they were operating some of the MVTA service. They were run out of South I think.

Here's a old photo of 2129 at Gateway on the 460N in 2003.

2003_460_at_gateway.jpg

Additionally some 19xx and 23xx Phantoms also carried the MVT livery. Here's AVTS in 2002 with 1929 and what I suspect is a 30xx D60 in front of it.

2002_passengers_boarding_at_avts.jpg

Images are from MVTA's historical gallery.

3 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

I seem to recall taking a Metro Transit (MVTA liveried) D60 on the 460 or 465 lines back in 2006 when I moved from Minneapolis to the south suburbs. I think the Metro Transit contract with MVTA ended that year, likely because MVTA finally had enough of their own equipment to operate their schedule.

That 9841 bus is interesting. Any idea on the model?

Thank you guys, I figured the contract with MVTA had ended, as I've never seen those D60s in that livery before. Also fully aware those buses are retired, since I edit the retired section of Metro Transit. Got some interesting information about past buses, but I'm waiting on something before I bring it up. Here is a thank you for that, 1971 rehabbed Flxible at the garage on June 12, 1991. 

IMG 176.JPG

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Big CJ said:

Thank you guys, I figured the contract with MVTA had ended, as I've never seen those D60s in that livery before. Also fully aware those buses are retired, since I edit the retired section of Metro Transit. Got some interesting information about past buses, but I'm waiting on something before I bring it up. Here is a thank you for that, 1971 rehabbed Flxible at the garage on June 12, 1991. 

IMG 176.JPG

Nice! When did all the GMs and Flxibles finally retire? Do any units still exist, preserved or not?

3209 is on the 5 and just departed Mall of America

edit: 3208 was also on the 5, following immediately behind 3209. Chased them on my bike this afternoon. Both pulled in shortly after arriving at BCTC shortly before 6. Photos to come.

edit: photos!

86A8B84E-335B-4D84-AC2D-06FE5217D555.jpeg

946E41A8-EEFD-4667-A657-29D53D963277.jpeg

DABF1A5C-420F-456B-9860-1681AFC14F18.jpeg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, hp2ena said:

Nice! When did all the GMs and Flxibles finally retire? Do any units still exist, preserved or not?

Sometime in the mid 90s. I believe the Holter family has one GM preserved in their collection. A little more information, when the GMs and Flxibles went for rehabbing in the 80s, they decided not to add AC to the units. The GMs weren't built new with AC, but the Flxibles were. However I was told somebody in management back then stated that Minnesota wasn't hot enough to have buses with AC, so all the Flxibles had their AC equipment disabled, removed, and sold off.

Also, the rehabbed buses got power assist (not power steering). The AMGs not sure if they had the same fate as the Flxibles with losing their AC, but that's the story. The first buses with AC and that kept them were the MANs. Even though the rehabbed GM and Flxibles got the new paint scheme, a number of non rehabbed GM, Flxible, and even AMGs (both the Metropolitans and SG220s) did get the new paint, although some buses retired still wearing all red. 

Staff provided an update on Southwest LRT at Wednesday's Met Council meeting. They showed an image of 301-306 under production in Sacramento. 301 and 302 will be delivered together later this month. They will have 60 seats and be outfitted with plastic inserts. 

In the past, they've delivered to the siding off of the Greenway between 26th and 28th, by the Sabo bridge. Then they send a 3-car Siemens consist sometime around 11:30pm to pull it into the Blue Line OMF. 

http://metrocouncil.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=2&clip_id=3348

On 5/7/2020 at 5:13 PM, hp2ena said:

3209 is on the 5 and just departed Mall of America

edit: 3208 was also on the 5, following immediately behind 3209. Chased them on my bike this afternoon. Both pulled in shortly after arriving at BCTC shortly before 6. Photos to come.

Interesting they're still being used, I would have figured with reduced service, the D60s would have been parked. Then again, I guess hiigher capacity trumps retirement... Did they pull them off those 800 series express routes in favor of local routes?

Now I did say I have something on Metro Transit's bus fleet. Here is 994 on January 1995. This bus was purchased used, it was original to AC Transit. Several AC Transit MAN articulated buses that were not bought by TSI in California, were purchased by a dealership called Power Services International. I was told by a former driver that the commission had about eight or so of these buses.

PICT0014.JPG

• Like 5

Recent-ish stuff:

• An RFP for MTS fixed-route east/west/crosstown service is up. Routes 30, 118, 350, 415, 452, 540, 542, 664, 670, 671, 705, and 762 are listed.
  • A recent Audit Committee report confirms MTN has transferred their contract operations to First. There are also some other updates listed and a review of past audits.
  • While the stay home order for MN has expired, Metro Transit is still operating a reduced service and requesting all riders wear face coverings, and continue to use transit for essential trips only.
  • Metro Transit has added charts showing the drop in ridership to their virus response page (link here). Local buses have been consistently 60-70% lower, while rail has taken a major dive down to almost 100% in the last week of April. Express buses have also dropped down 95%.
  • Skimming over Metro Transit's Facebook page there have been a lot of delays on both LRT lines due to 'Police activity' and mechanical issues. A local reporter was also assaulted on a downtown Minneapolis platform last week.
On 5/18/2020 at 5:20 PM, Big CJ said:

Now I did say I have something on Metro Transit's bus fleet. Here is 994 on January 1995. This bus was purchased used, it was original to AC Transit. Several AC Transit MAN articulated buses that were not bought by TSI in California, were purchased by a dealership called Power Services International. I was told by a former driver that the commission had about eight or so of these buses.

PICT0014.JPG

Zing! Great pic! Nothing dates a photo quite like a cigarette ad -- surprised those were allowed as late as 1995!

For all the MAN buses that ran for Metro Transit/MCTO, photos are few and far between. Especially the 40-foot MAN Americana units. They had, what, a few hundred of 'em from the early 80s through the mid 90s? Evidence is scarce.

I always liked MAN Americana buses. They were unapologetic boxes-on-wheels -- yet still managed to sneak in some cool, subtle styling features. I never rode one in MSP, but I recall a smooth, spacious experience from brief rides I took in Chicago and Seattle. (who else even had them? New Orleans, Charlotte, a handful in Houston...)

Anyone have (more) pics of MAN buses in the Twin Cities? Would love to see!

And because I'd never want to receive without giving, here are some "vintage" photos of the MANs' replacements -- Gillig Phantoms and New Flyers. They're not great quality, but they capture the feel of the place circa 2009:

Two Phantoms face off in Downtown St Paul. Notice 447 is finishing a trip on Route 62 -- which, at the time (still?), was jointly operated by a contractor and Metro Transit's East Metro Garage. 1015, on the other hand, begins a routine movement westbound:

MSP1015R.thumb.JPG.8503cebe6bef4ec0d4d7b602eb8378ea.JPG

Here is 3011, looking a little lonely in DTSP as it anticipates its next trip:

MSP3011Y.thumb.JPG.be1e8ab35259ea0e4833fb3700aa1ff7.JPG

Meanwhile in Minneapolis, a misty morning rush hour carries on as 3004 blazes a path down 6th St:

MSP3004B.thumb.JPG.118ccb3f629e695925f6817e8818d717.JPG

Enjoy! Would love to see these places ~15 years earlier with SG-310s and Americanas...

• Like 3

I recently filed a public records request for a roster of the active MTS fleet. The spreadsheet I got is attached. The page for 60070-83 will need to be renamed to "60069-60084". 

Also, from this spreadsheet, you can see that not all 2600 series coaches were transferred. So do we keep the name as it is (for ease of searching), or rename it such that only the active units remain (and thus make it harder to search)? We could move the page to reflect the actual buses still in service and preserve the redirect in case someone was curious? MTS fleet request 5-21-20.xlsx

What do we do with the MT units transferred to MTS? What I ended up doing yesterday was linking to the MT rosters (since liverywise they're still Metro Transit) but anchoring them to the unit numbers that were transferred (since the details about the buses remain the same). Although we've learned that 1620-27 have been transferred (I saw 1625 at First Transit a couple days ago, and the spreadsheet reflects the transfer of the 1600 series), more from this series will be transferred next month. 

By the way, LRVs 301 and 302 were delivered today and are currently sitting at the siding next to the Blue Line mainline, off the Sabo Bridge. If anyone wants to see the trains get towed into Hiawatha, show up at around 8:30pm. Wear a mask. (Edit: 301 and 302 have already been towed into Hiawatha as of 1:30pm)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

Zing! Great pic! Nothing dates a photo quite like a cigarette ad -- surprised those were allowed as late as 1995!

For all the MAN buses that ran for Metro Transit/MCTO, photos are few and far between. Especially the 40-foot MAN Americana units. They had, what, a few hundred of 'em from the early 80s through the mid 90s? Evidence is scarce.

I always liked MAN Americana buses. They were unapologetic boxes-on-wheels -- yet still managed to sneak in some cool, subtle styling features. I never rode one in MSP, but I recall a smooth, spacious experience from brief rides I took in Chicago and Seattle. (who else even had them? New Orleans, Charlotte, a handful in Houston...)

And because I'd never want to receive without giving, here are some "vintage" photos of the MANs' replacements -- Gillig Phantoms and New Flyers. They're not great quality, but they capture the feel of the place circa 2009:

Two Phantoms face off in Downtown St Paul. Notice 447 is finishing a trip on Route 62 -- which, at the time (still?), was jointly operated by a contractor and Metro Transit's East Metro Garage. 1015, on the other hand, begins a routine movement westbound:

Meanwhile in Minneapolis, a misty morning rush hour carries on as 3004 blazes a path down 6th St:

Enjoy! Would love to see these places ~15 years earlier with SG-310s and Americanas...

A pic of an Americana popped up in the Winnipeg thread:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, hp2ena said:

I recently filed a public records request for a roster of the active MTS fleet. The spreadsheet I got is attached. The page for 60070-83 will need to be renamed to "60069-60084". 

Also, from this spreadsheet, you can see that not all 2600 series coaches were transferred. So do we keep the name as it is (for ease of searching), or rename it such that only the active units remain (and thus make it harder to search)? We could move the page to reflect the actual buses still in service and preserve the redirect in case someone was curious? MTS fleet request 5-21-20.xlsx

What do we do with the MT units transferred to MTS? What I ended up doing yesterday was linking to the MT rosters (since liverywise they're still Metro Transit) but anchoring them to the unit numbers that were transferred (since the details about the buses remain the same). Although we've learned that 1620-27 have been transferred (I saw 1625 at First Transit a couple days ago, and the spreadsheet reflects the transfer of the 1600 series), more from this series will be transferred next month. 

By the way, LRVs 301 and 302 were delivered today and are currently sitting at the siding next to the Blue Line mainline, off the Sabo Bridge. If anyone wants to see the trains get towed into Hiawatha, show up at around 8:30pm. Wear a mask. (Edit: 301 and 302 have already been towed into Hiawatha as of 1:30pm)

Awesome! Thanks for doing the research and plugging some requests in on that stuff. Now I gotta check all my years in the detail notes on my MTS baby Gillig pics 😛

Also I think it's amusing how many sedans and SUV are technically part of the transit fleet with Metro Mobility and TransitLink. I see them around a lot but have yet to get a good photo of one.

IMO for the transfers just link back to whatever the original series page would be. I.e. Metro Transit 1600-1674 and then on the MTS roster just list the range or ranges operated by MTS contractors. I don't see any need to create a whole separate page just for Metropolitan Transportation Services 1620-1627 when it can just be noted in the Metro Transit range list which units were transferred or contracted. In some ways having the MTS stuff listed separate from Metro Transit is being a bit picky, but I still think it's good to have details of what is where. For example there is some significant difference operationally behind the scenes between 1619 on the 54 and 1620 on the 84, even though a typical rider waiting at the 7th/Maynard stop wouldn't likely notice.

• Like 1
On 5/21/2020 at 9:06 AM, Border City Transit said:

Check out my gallery here. I got two MAN articulated bus shots both take by Jim Shepard. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75396729@N05/albums/72157714384213346

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CJ,

Mel Bernero has a lot of old photos of MTC/MCTO/Metro Transit as well as suburban operators on Flickr. There's a few Americana's in here as well

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbernero/albums/72157629417268712

I liked the Americana's a lot, I remember there was a divider in the front staircase to separate boarding and exiting passengers.

HP,

Thank you for sharing the MTS fleet list. Good to see the DAR and the Metro Mobility breakdown too!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Big CJ said:

Check out my gallery here. I got two MAN articulated bus shots both take by Jim Shepard. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75396729@N05/albums/72157714384213346

Dang, great shots!

Seeing those MAN artics makes me feel like a kid again -- all excited to ride the bus, taking in every little design detail, absorbing the vehicle's gravitas as a fixture of the big, bustling city. These photos really emphasize their black window frames -- pretty rare for MAN artics, which usually had silver frames.

It all makes me want to know the PANTONE / CMYK color specs for MTC's solid red!

Those UMN New Looks... are remarkably ugly. Usually, pics of GM New Looks make me wish I had had more time with them. Those units don't look so appealing...

Thanks for sharing!

4 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

Dang, great shots!

Seeing those MAN artics makes me feel like a kid again -- all excited to ride the bus, taking in every little design detail, absorbing the vehicle's gravitas as a fixture of the big, bustling city. These photos really emphasize their black window frames -- pretty rare for MAN artics, which usually had silver frames.

It all makes me want to know the PANTONE / CMYK color specs for MTC's solid red!

Those UMN New Looks... are remarkably ugly. Usually, pics of GM New Looks make me wish I had had more time with them. Those units don't look so appealing...

Thanks for sharing!

The MLL buses, including the New Looks, I'm still trying to find out where they came from. They had New Looks numbered in the 400s too in use along with the RTS. Medicine ran services for Plymouth Metrolink, MVTA, as well as the University, and in areas like Medicine Lake. The roster for MLL needs more work too. 

7 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

CJ,

Mel Bernero has a lot of old photos of MTC/MCTO/Metro Transit as well as suburban operators on Flickr. There's a few Americana's in here as well

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbernero/albums/72157629417268712

I liked the Americana's a lot, I remember there was a divider in the front staircase to separate boarding and exiting passengers.

HP,

Thank you for sharing the MTS fleet list. Good to see the DAR and the Metro Mobility breakdown too!

Oh yes, I've seen those shots too and they are amazing. 

Out of concern for the safety of riders and transit operators/staff, all Blue line train service is suspended until further notice with NO replacement buses due to the riots in Minneapolis. The MSP Terminal shuttle connection will continue to operate.

I forgot to post this earlier, in regards to the GM New Looks, 1142 is still in the Holter's collection. I believe it is just a parts unit.

Here is a photo I got last week and a better one from 2014:

49937587272_2ccef6325e_t.jpg  14574322693_25abeed57b_t.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, MVTArider said:

Out of concern for the safety of riders and transit operators/staff, all Blue line train service is suspended until further notice with NO replacement buses due to the riots in Minneapolis. The MSP Terminal shuttle connection will continue to operate.

I forgot to post this earlier, in regards to the GM New Looks, 1142 is still in the Holter's collection. I believe it is just a parts unit.

Here is a photo I got last week and a better one from 2014:

49937587272_2ccef6325e_t.jpg  14574322693_25abeed57b_t.jpg

Green line is also suspended

Edit: Metro Transit plans to suspend all transit service beginning 4pm today.