Metro Transit

SMS

• 2 months later...

Schmitty & Sons will be taking over a chunk of the MTS regional route contracted service. They will be replacing current contractor First:

https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetings/Committees/Transportation-Committee/2017/April-10,-2017/0410_2017_85.aspx

Route 54 bus stop at the MSP Airport T1/Lindbergh will be moving from the transportation center to the upper arrival ring in June. The Transportation center will be closing to make way for construction of a new CONRAC, transportation center, and additional parking. Slated for opening in Fall 2019:

https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetings/Committees/Transportation-Accessibility-Advisory-Committee/2017/TAAC-Meeting-5-03-17/2017-05-03-Airport-transit-center.aspx

It was a 40% cut, now 10%, but currently the funding situation for Metro Transit and the proposed light-rail extensions is not looking too good:

https://metrocouncil.org/News-Events/Transportation/MediaCoverage/Proposed-transit-bill-would-hurt-all-of-Minnesota.aspx

Fare increase hearings are also underway:

https://metrocouncil.org/News-Events/Transportation/News-Articles/Comment-now-on-proposal-to-raise-metro-area-transi.aspx

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The First Transit legals have been quietly disappearing on a number of the 29' Low Floors, kind of interesting as Schmitty doesn't take over those routes until July 30th from what I understand.

There was a new toy waiting to ferry me home tonight, Metro Transit 2017 Gillig Low Floor 40' 1790! Biggest difference from the 2016 batch is they have gone with frameless windows and black frames on the interior. They are also still trying out different seating configurations, this one has two 3 seat flip up benches with Q-Pod in the front for wheelchairs, but then on curbside there are three individual flip-up aisle facing seats, while standard 2x seats face forward on the streetside. Still the standard ASC InSight model with a nice cushion. 1790 also has the same 6 speed ZF transmission as do all the 15xx-17xx units and some of the 14xx.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to tweaking/updating the Metro Transit wiki last night based off the fleet list. I'll try to throw some pics in there as well soon. 31xx D60 and a chunk of the 2002-2004 Phantoms are still on standby for use as spares during the 2017 State Fair. Stray appearances of them may also be seen during rush hours. 1790-1799 are all in service now. 2004 Low Floors 7105-7109 are still in service, I spotted one a couple weeks ago. It'll be interesting to see if they run them to 2018 to put 14 years on them as is happening with the 2003 Low Floors from MVTA. I also wonder if they will start an 18xx series soon to replace those, or hold off and save that series for the next big order which would be in 2020/2021 to replace the 2008 LF/BRT.

Also Metro Transit will be getting battery electric buses eventually from what I understand. Sounds like they are holding off until the 2007 Hybrids will be replaced starting in 2019. A smart move IMO, let the technology mature another year and see how the new Nicollet Mall corridor functions for transit operations.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting sighting this afternoon, spotted one of my favorite 71xx 2004 Low Floor units done up in the arterial rapid bus scheme (similar to 8000-8012). It was either deadheading or working the 134. My guess is MT is planning on dedicating one or two to the A Line during the State Fair this year to help with bus bunching and crowding. Last year they had a few regular buses on A during the busy times.

Also noticed they have started adding advertising to the exteriors on some ABRT buses. Haven't seen any wraps yet but I'm sure one will surface eventually.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Time for the annual State Fair transit report!

7109 was the one 2004 Low Floor observed in a temporary wrap for the arterial bus A Line service, while I did see it a few times over the 12 day Fair period, I unfortunately never had a chance to ride and was only able to get this lone photo with my phone (albeit better than nothing):

36547859690_c987aacb27_t.jpgMetro Transit 7109

Overall the A Line service seemed a bit better this year with 8012 added to the fleet and 7109 as an extra, but there were still some bad times of bus bunching. Of course this is unavoidable given how congested Snelling gets during the Fair.

For Metro Transit a number of Phantoms including 976, 996, and some 10xx series were out and about. I spotted 996 on the 960 service during the Fair, and also was able to ride 1024 on one of the local routes. D60HF also made appearances, although they seemed to be operated mainly on the peak period express routes while XD60 worked the all day Fair services. I did spot one D60 at the Fair during my visit, but was unable to get a photo.

37094227395_8ac2405557_t.jpg 36281253223_6e089da6bd_t.jpg 37094189565_c63898b56b_t.jpg

And finally as before I'll just plop the State Fair shuttles operated by Lorenz in here as well, lots of goodies to see this year. Lorenz appeared to have moved the majority of the service back to their own transit bus fleet thanks to recent additions of retired D40LF from Houston, Met Council, and at least one Gillig Low Floor from MVTA. I think the oldest units in their transit fleet are now 1995 vintage Phantoms. No 6V92TA units remain from what I observed. The Houston units I'm guessing are from the 2000-2001 orders, as they sounded like they had Cummins and not S50. I could be mistaken on that however. I'm sure a Houston area member can provide better info.

36259144064_16ff1d106b_t.jpg 37094224655_409ab0055a_t.jpg 36923884462_e1bd104512_t.jpg 36697819780_96a26a30c2_t.jpg 36259078844_59bc216b03_t.jpg 36697814990_e152003800_t.jpg 36281247123_88a28104ec_t.jpg

In other news, transit fares will be increasing by 25 cents on October 1st. https://www.metrotransit.org/fare-increase

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

^ According to an application from one of the recent meeting agendas, it might actually be 8 XE60, plus 6 XD60. Three doors, all for operation on the C Line arterial bus scheduled to begin service in 2019ish. Recovery times for the C line run blocks are expected to have longer time allotments to allow for recharging. So it sounds like these will be fast charge and not extended range.

With Nicollet Mall reconstruction complete the buses are back:

25410901728_bdfef5b65a_t.jpg

Once again Mall routes are supposed to be operated using 100% hybrids. We'll see how long that holds up. I observed a 16xx violating that while wandering downtown that afternoon.

2017 LRT cars 260, 261 were on a test run on the Blue Line a couple nights ago. The complete order is 260-264 I believe. They are S70 units identical to the other 2xx series, however they've gone back to Aries 4MA model seats as found on the Flexity-Swifts instead of the nice ones the other Siemens units have. Well, at least they still are putting actual seats on the trains as opposed to some systems.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Word from one of the operators is the previously averted strike for ATU transit operators may be back on for Friday as apparently while Metro Transit approved the negotiated contract, Metropolitan Council still has not voted to fund it... There is an item from Management Committee to approve the agreement at the general MC meeting this Wednesday, so I assume it will go through and service will continue as expected.

Also at the MC meeting this week they'll likely be voting to approve a $12,601,519.68 purchase agreement for eight XE60 and six chargers for the C Line from New Flyer with expected delivery in 2018/2019. Service on the C line will be operated with 14 buses total, 8 XE60, 6 XD60, and is expected to start in 2019.

Mall of America has a new temporary transit hub set up for the buses:

38910482745_c7a7dce0fb_t.jpg  24938845657_858c738105_t.jpg

I'm not sure if this is only in place for the next couple of weeks in preparation for the Superbowl LRT security or if this is also long term in preparation for the upcoming MOA Transit Center reconstruction project.

And finally on the subject of Superbowl there are a host of service improvements and special service to help ferry fans about: https://www.metrotransit.org/super-bowl-riders

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

More rapid-bus lines planned for Twin Cities

In the coming years, 10 more rapid-bus lines will snake throughout the metro's busiest transit corridors — and last week, the network's build-out reached two milestones. Advocates say rapid-bus service offers passengers a light-rail-like experience but is far cheaper to build and maintain. 

". . . Metro Transit says the A-line corridor has seen 5 percent month-over-month increases in ridership during its second year. The A-line is well situated, because it serves the Blue Line 46th Street LRT station on one end and Rosedale mall on the other. In between, there’s the Snelling Avenue Green Line LRT stop, the State Fairgrounds and several colleges, including Macalester and Hamline."

Source: http://www.startribune.com/more-rapid-bus-lines-planned-for-twin-cities/474438883/

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎05 at 11:39 PM, MVTArider said:

Also Metro Transit will be getting battery electric buses eventually from what I understand. Sounds like they are holding off until the 2007 Hybrids will be replaced starting in 2019. A smart move IMO, let the technology mature another year and see how the new Nicollet Mall corridor functions for transit operations.

https://www.metrotransit.org/new-rapid-bus-line-to-include-battery-electric-buses => New Flyer XE60

Seems to confirm that they will be New Flyer XE60s. Better go update the wiki.

This press release seems to confirm that they will be New Flyer XE60s. I should go update the wiki.

1. This press release seems to confirm that they will be New Flyer XE60s. I should go update the wiki.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Effective June 9th, one will be able to ride the 54 from Mall of America to Maplewood Mall. Buses will travel on the new segment from SPUD to Maplewood every 20 minutes peak/30 minutes off peak. Current 54 service will be served every 10 minutes peak/15 minutes off peak. It's not noted specifically in the presentation, but I have heard previously the full runs will likely be assigned artics.

https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetings/Committees/Transportation-Committee/2018/April-9,-2018/Info-1-_-Route-54.aspx

20 operator barriers have been installed on Gillig Low Floors and will be tested for a number of months:

https://www.metrotransit.org/operator-barriers-appearing-on-some-buses-as-part-of-pilot-project

And the 80XX series ABRT units are being equipped with the latest and greatest in next stop signage displays:

https://www.metrotransit.org/new-displays-allow-a-line-customers-to-plan-trips-as-they-ride

They have not equipped all of them yet, I was on one yesterday and still no screens. Hoping to get a ride on one with the displays soon though!

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Random updates:

Metro Transit has trimmed down a a lot of trips to deal with a severe shortages of drivers:

https://www.metrotransit.org/service-changes-beginning-july-31-will-improve-systemwide-reliability

17 new 40' diesel Gillig Low Floors and 3 new 40' Gillig BRT in ABRT scheme are on order for 2019. Also in the minutes it sounds like the XE60 for C Line service will be the guinea pigs for electric buses in the Metro Transit fleet. They will be evaluated and have bugs and issues worked out over the first couple of years of operation. Then if all goes well expect even more electric buses from Gillig and/or NFI in following orders. A different note in the meeting minutes also mentioned one of the Bombardier trains was due to surpass 1,000,000 miles of service last month.

https://metrocouncil.org/getdoc/d4ffe51c-a20a-48cf-86d6-b91a51af07e3/Minutes.aspx

The new 54M service from Mall of America to Maplewood Mall via downtown Saint Paul seems to be going well. I have yet to ride it out to Maplewood myself as it's been a busy summer. Unfortunately it is still a solid 40' bus operation on Weekdays and Saturdays, with artics only operated on Sundays. I had hoped and heard a rumor they would switch to artics on the M trips during the weekdays, but apparently not. The buses every 10 minutes on the main 54 line however do seem to help with crowding during the peak periods.

Also speaking of MOA, the groundbreaking ceremony to start construction on the new transit center was held last week:

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/08/02/moa-transit-hub-renovation/

https://www.metrotransit.org/mall-of-america

And some observations: I have seen Phantoms 1032 on the 54 and 1042 on the 7 in the past few weeks. Outside of South there are some 31xx D60 lined up along with ABRT wrapped 7109. I'm guessing all of them will be put in service during the State Fair. Operator barriers have been installed on the newest Gilligs, such as 8012, 1784, and the 179x from what I've seen. They are still collecting feedback and data on them.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anyone knows about this, but here is a long gallery of bus shots posted by Esbdave during the MTC era in 1987 and a few shots taken in 1991. Most of the vintage shots (like 99% of them) were taken by Bob Hussey. I hope these pictures helps out the wiki to the fullest extant when it comes to the retired stuff.

https://public.fotki.com/esbdave/us-transit/minnesota-transit-a/minneapolis/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

State Fair report!

Due to driver shortages Metro Transit State Fair express service was trimmed slightly with later start times. A lot of the lines seemed to be running artics vs. 40'. A few D60 were seen, but it was generally D60LFR and XD60.

44442360941_37ea263830_t.jpg 44442362811_69ac7abc63_t.jpg 44442359771_de85dd0aa2_t.jpg 30573179118_8e6aa417bd_t.jpg

On the regular routes, A Line and 84 were terribly backed up by the Fair traffic delay. Still they maintained a decent headway on the A line with an extra regular 40' bus or two filling in. Also of note, A line units are starting to carry ads on the exterior (again).

44442358381_d96a5cf3d5_t.jpg 29504508107_3e78418e59_t.jpg 30573248418_0ba53176cb_t.jpg

For Lorenz Bus, I think this is the first year in 10 years of State Fair bus fanning that Lorenz has operated all of the State Fair park and ride lot shuttles entirely in house. There was no sign of any contracted coaches as in previous years. In addition Lorenz has majorly ramped up their transit bus fleet with more secondhand additions coming from IU, CATS, and Met Council. Of course the ex Houston and Johnson County D40LF, and older Phantoms were still a big portion of the operation. I didn't get any pics of the Johnson County units this year, but noted at least two of the three running.

43533344445_7177a1a091_t.jpg 30573196148_67ed353221_t.jpg 44442310661_1f93f14144_t.jpg 42633092340_db9d663038_t.jpg 44442283851_6eb843240a_t.jpg 44392803012_847fab1469_t.jpg 44442353021_b542e5186b_t.jpg 44442312261_3c1118da25_t.jpg 44442278391_b157bbe767_t.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The end on an era, former flagship routes 16 (major stops now covered by the Green Line LRT) and the 84 (Snelling Ave to Ford and Cleveland now covered by the A Line) will be transferred from Metro Transit operation over to Metropolitan Transportation Services division and contracted as regional routes effective with December 1st route changes. The new contractor will be Metropolitan Transportation Network, a local outfit that currently operates school buses. It appears this is their first time going into public transit operation so it'll be interesting to see how it works out. 16 and 84 will also be trimmed down to reduce duplicate service with the Green and A lines and function more as feeders. I'm very curious to know if they will be operated with contractor fleet 30' Gilligs, cutaways, or if some Metro Transit or older opt-out 40' buses will be transferred over. Unless they've transferred some other services from contracted to Metro Transit in the past services changes, I don't think there are enough spare 30' buses to cover both routes.

Route changes, most are simply reinstating cut trips from during the driver shortage this summer: https://www.metrotransit.org/routes-will-change-on-dec-1

More interesting stuff from recent meetings:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

How do the contracted routes work? Do they appear as though they are part of the Metro Transit system?

This varies widely from place to place.

In the case of MSP, contractor-operated routes are easily distinguishable from routes operated by Metro Transit.

Services designated as "Metro Transit" are operated directly by Metro Transit. (100% of the time, I believe. Anyone?)

Throughout the area, certain low-volume routes may be contracted out. The route then becomes a Metropolitan Council Regional Route -- and Metropolitan Council finds a private operator. Usually, these routes cover fringe suburban areas that don't have an "opt-out" transit system (MVTA, SW Transit, Maple Grove Transit, etc). In the case of 16 and 84, they will be "regional" routes in the core urban service area.

Met Council Regional Routes use buses that "mostly" look like Metro Transit buses. Instead of a Metro Transit logo, they wear a Metropolitan Council logo. I think (?) they're also missing the yellow accents found on Metro Transit buses. Then, legal markings ("fine print decals") identify the contract operator.

Met Council Regional Route buses form a separate fleet. It's a rag-tag mix of cutaways, small buses, the occasional retiree from Metro Transit. There are newer full-size heavy-duty units, too; they may share specs with Metro Transit.

Information on Met Council Regional Routes (schedules, web, bus stop signs, etc) is available through Metro Transit channels... so there is some room for confusion. Printed materials are like the buses themselves: they don't advertise the routes as Metro Transit services. They include the Metropolitan Council logo and actually name the operator.

It differs in suburban "opt-out" areas, where non-Metro Transit systems have their own distinctive identities. For example, SW Transit is a different system. The buses don't look anything like Metro Transit or Metropolitan Council, and there is a separate website.

Clear as mud? B)

• Like 1

Metro Transit has listed a number of Phantoms and D60s for auction; all auctions close on November 20th.

List of Phantoms being auctioned:

List of D60s being auctioned:

They are also auctioning 1613, which was damaged in July 2017 by a very drunk driver; one passenger on the bus was killed: https://minnbid.org/Mobile/AuctionLot/26149

Also, 8100 and 8101 (C-Line buses) are on property at Heywood Garage. The electric buses are currently in production.

On 11/10/2018 at 12:52 AM, MVTArider said:

The end on an era, former flagship routes 16 (major stops now covered by the Green Line LRT) and the 84 (Snelling Ave to Ford and Cleveland now covered by the A Line) will be transferred from Metro Transit operation over to Metropolitan Transportation Services division and contracted as regional routes effective with December 1st route changes. The new contractor will be Metropolitan Transportation Network, a local outfit that currently operates school buses. It appears this is their first time going into public transit operation so it'll be interesting to see how it works out. 16 and 84 will also be trimmed down to reduce duplicate service with the Green and A lines and function more as feeders. I'm very curious to know if they will be operated with contractor fleet 30' Gilligs, cutaways, or if some Metro Transit or older opt-out 40' buses will be transferred over. Unless they've transferred some other services from contracted to Metro Transit in the past services changes, I don't think there are enough spare 30' buses to cover both routes.

Route changes, most are simply reinstating cut trips from during the driver shortage this summer: https://www.metrotransit.org/routes-will-change-on-dec-1

More interesting stuff from recent meetings:

They're also cutting service on many St. Paul routes: https://medium.com/@twincitiestru/major-service-changes-take-effect-december-1st-62d2e6b05206

• Like 1

There used to be mixed Metro Transit/contractor routes, but that doesn't occur anymore. 

Some previous examples:

Rt. 25 Saturday service was operated by a contractor, while the weekday service was directly operated. 

Rt. 62 C branch was contractor operated, while the other branches were direct operations. 

Rt. 32 used to be a contract service, with the Edison HS extras directly operated. 

--

I take it all Phantoms and 3100 D60s are retired now?

On 11/17/2018 at 4:07 PM, Tcmetro said:

There used to be mixed Metro Transit/contractor routes, but that doesn't occur anymore. 

Some previous examples:

Rt. 25 Saturday service was operated by a contractor, while the weekday service was directly operated. 

Rt. 62 C branch was contractor operated, while the other branches were direct operations. 

Rt. 32 used to be a contract service, with the Edison HS extras directly operated. 

--

I take it all Phantoms and 3100 D60s are retired now?

Not all the Phantoms, but probably most of them. The last time I rode a 3100 D60 was in September

Here's a list of all Phantoms auctioned in early November 2018:

Only 1 D60 were auctioned in October 2018:

Would someone be able to update the fleet manifests on the wiki, by chance?