School Buses

Here's an oddball like Thomas School Bus. Not sure on the chassis and all, but I believe it's Dodge judging from the interior shot that I have where I can see the steering wheel. I will not be posting that image publicly however.

I believe they call that a "Type B" school bus (as opposed to Type A cutaway, Type C conventional, Type D transit). It's not really a cutaway, but not really a full on conventional either. The closest thing to a modern day equivalent would probably be the IC BE series :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_bus#Body_Configurations

^^^ As much as I hate referencing Wikipedia, it works :D

I believe they call that a "Type B" school bus (as opposed to Type A cutaway, Type C conventional, Type D transit). It's not really a cutaway, but not really a full on conventional either. The closest thing to a modern day equivalent would probably be the IC BE series :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_bus#Body_Configurations

^^^ As much as I hate referencing Wikipedia, it works :D

That is an old Thomas Mighty mite, is it still in service?

I have many old printed photos from cardinal when I visited Calgary in 1998. One of them is another Thomas mighty mite #396. Hopefully I can get a scanner soon because I have lots of other good bus pictures.

I have many old printed photos from cardinal when I visited Calgary in 1998. One of them is another Thomas mighty mite #396. Hopefully I can get a scanner soon because I have lots of other good bus pictures.

Speaking of which, I also have a photo of 604, an old Ford Van, similar to the photo of the dodge van that us on the Cardinal Wiki. I noticed that the Cardinal page on the wiki needs a lot more photos in the small buses section. Cardinal Has/had lots of cool oddballs. Some other photos that I am looking for are a half black/half yellow wayne busette, sounds like there are lots of good ones listed on the wiki, but no photo with them (Cardinal 200's-1400's).

Speaking of which, I also have a photo of 604, an old Ford Van, similar to the photo of the dodge van that us on the Cardinal Wiki. I noticed that the Cardinal page on the wiki needs a lot more photos in the small buses section. Cardinal Has/had lots of cool oddballs. Some other photos that I am looking for are a half black/half yellow wayne busette, sounds like there are lots of good ones listed on the wiki, but no photo with them (Cardinal 200's-1400's).

Yeah. I just finished listing all those from a Roster that I have today. Still more to be added. I still have many more to add and I hope that someone has images of some of them. I didn't bother taking many images of the smaller stuff back at the time when I was working there. The oldest small buses and vans that were still around when I worked there were the high numbered 500's and units like 604. I remember driving that one and 595 around the shops when I worked in the wash bays. I kick my butt for not taking photos. Oh and I do recall seeing 396 around being used around the shops only. Totally forgot about that one until you mentioned it.

• 2 weeks later...

The other day in Calgary I spotted a Chevy or GMC 36 passenger Superior School Bus painted in charcoal grey that looked similar to this unit: http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=I..._Lines_1266.jpg . What surprised me a bit was the fact that the unit I saw had a taller roofline with taller passenger windows than most units. Yes I know Thomas and Blue Bird among others had that option, but I have never seen an image or anything of a Superior bodied school bus with this feature.

A few minor changes on the International IC school buses. Compare #888 which is a late 2004 to #3720 which is a brand new unit delivered to Southland in Calgary in the past month or so.

http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=I...tation_3720.jpg

Ya, the exhaust pipe thing has been showing up on the newer units around here as well. Don't know if its an option or an actual standard change...

Ya, the exhaust pipe thing has been showing up on the newer units around here as well. Don't know if its an option or an actual standard change...

If you're reffering to the tailpipe coming out the rear bumper, that's been arriving on Sharp Bus Lines CE's since 2008. could possibly be standard....

Went hunting around for Southland buses and found a whole bunch more second hand units recently decalled and numbered. Quite a few additions have been made to the WIKI: http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=S..._Transportation .

One of the more interesting finds is this mid 1990's Ford Thomas conventional that I found today numbered as 509. This is the first I have known of this style of Ford at Southland: http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=I...rtation_509.jpg

Wow! Does Southland still operate a lot of the older units?
Yeah, #198 seems to still be active at the yard I found her today. Lots of 200's as well from the mid 1980's as well as units like 1070, 1071. But many of these units may be gone very soon with all these new and used arrivals...! So you should get down here ASAP!

436 still looks to be active: http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=I...rtation_436.jpg !

• 2 weeks later...
Old Ford Girardin from the 1980's found in Canmore yesterday parked on the side of the street:

removed

Thanks so much for posting that it made my day!! We used to have a bunch of those around here on Ford, GMC, and a couple dodge chassis, I really miss seeing them around. I know I've asked before, but if anyone ha more photos of this style of bus, please post...keep em coming!

I came across a few brand new 2010 Chevrolet Thomas Minotours. These are the single rear wheel model. Thomas has updated their design with new C2 style tail lights, and taller passenger windows. Pretty nice looking if you ask me. I included pictures of the new and old model for comparison. The first photo is a 2007 Chevrolet minotour (old style roofcap), The second and third photo are a 2008 GMC Minotour (new roofcap, old design windows and tail lights), and the last photos are the 2010 Chevrolet Minotour (C2 lights, taller windows)

buses_401.jpg

buses_440.jpg

buses_442.jpg

buses_415.jpg

buses_419.jpg

buses_416.jpg

Awhile ago there was a 1976-77 International Thomas 48 passenger School Bus that was for sale in S.E. Calgary for 1800 bucks. I am pretty sure I posted an image of it in this thread as well. It has since vanished and I am not sure if it ended up being scrapped or if it did get sold. Anyways, now another one has shown up. This time a 1990 GMC Thomas 48 Passenger School Bus at the same location that is for sale for 2000 bucks. Has an Automatice transmission (More than likely an Allison).

110910-03333-1990gmcthomas48pass2000bucks.jpg