PRESTO - GTA Discussion

ORION

I have an iPhone, I don't think Apple allows NFC usage for other apps yet.

Anyway, if I see the next auto load event next week sometime, I assume something glitched and I got $20 worth of fare for free. Hey, not my mistake, I'm not gonna chase it.

I expect it will catch up sooner or later. Was the missing tap at a subway station? They always seemed to have the oddest lags.

As far as I know, they have fully enabled the Presto app on Apple products now using NFC, as you can now load money directly to your card with your Apple device. So I'd think simply reading the card would also be there. Looks like they got it out in June 2020.

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2020/06/04/no-more-waiting-presto-launches-enhanced-app/

No, the denied tap was on a Flexity streetcar.

Yeah you're right I checked, you can query the card now. Now it gets interesting.

My presto account in the app and in a computer browser reports balance of $22.10. When I queried the card with NFC it shows  $15.70.

LOL.

• Like 1

Interesting, I checked about an hour later the app and the presto site now show the same $15.70. I still don't see that missing tap or load event from last week in the history.

19 hours ago, nfitz said:

Looks like the transactions from the time you tapped when the reload triggered are missing. Both the load and the charge, which should have the same timestamp.

Give it time ... it might show up. Might also help to see the time/dates and the Transaction number ... I suspect there's a gap of at least 2 transaction numbers in there.

One time I saw something like this, was for an HSR trip ... which I never found on my account. But I had happened to check by using the app to check my card directly. How's this for time travel!

image.thumb.png.325a095431d9be2a4a471a591c830c53.png

You possibly may have forgotten to tap off.  It then charged you when you tapped your presto again later. A similar situation happened to me in January of 2020...

I had tapped on at Eglinton GO then got off at Whitby GO. Not knowing I had to tap off after each ride (it was my first GO train trip), I proceeded to leave the station.

A couple of weeks later I boarded at Guildwood GO and got off Union GO. I noticed PRESTO charged me for two trips. Perplexed, I call customer service to inquire. I found out that once I tapped, it charged me a full trip for the previous trip. 

I know the issue occurred on HSR vehicles. However, I noticed GO, and thought that could be an external reason as to why. Hope this helps!

5 minutes ago, MRD10 said:

You possibly may have forgotten to tap off.  It then charged you when you tapped your presto again later. A similar situation happened to me in January of 2020...

I had tapped on at Eglinton GO then got off at Whitby GO. Not knowing I had to tap off after each ride (it was my first GO train trip), I proceeded to leave the station.

A couple of weeks later I boarded at Guildwood GO and got off Union GO. I noticed PRESTO charged me for two trips. Perplexed, I call customer service to inquire. I found out that once I tapped, it charged me a full trip for the previous trip. 

I know the issue occurred on HSR vehicles. However, I noticed GO, and thought that could be an external reason as to why. Hope this helps!

Interesting. I had indeed failed to tap off of GO at Hunter Street, I'd never taken the train there before, and for some reason it completely escaped me while I was distracted by the station!

Though I'm not sure how that made the HSR tap show as 2006 instead of 2019. GO did indeed charge me a penalty - but not until about 4 hours later, when I tapped back on a GO Bus at Hunter Street.

(that's why I'd checked the transaction on my phone in the first place, as suddenly, hours later, I had a bad feeling I'd forgotten)

ICAMI (In Case Anyone Missed It), PRESTO is piloting credit card payments on the UP Express (I posted the nearly same topic on the UP Express thread earlier):

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2021/03/11/presto-contactless-payment-pilot-launches-on-up-express-allowing-customers-to-tap-on-with-credit-cards-and-mobile-wallets/

In addition, the UP Express will be the first to offer Interac Debit on the system.

What remains to be seen is - how foreign-registered (and issued) credit cards (and mobile wallets) will play out on this new system.... 

(this reply was posted from my Galaxy S20 smartphone) 

• Thanks 1

I had a normal load event today recorded in Presto app & site and I can see the $20 pending charge on VISA. So it seems to be working fine now, and I guess whatever happened last week was a one time glitch and I got $20 worth of fare free.

• 2 months later...

Is Apple Pay no longer an option on the iOS Presto app to load funds? My credit card got skimmed somewhere, so I'm waiting for 7-10 business days for a new one, and my auto-load won't work.

I am always hesitant to set up any sort of preauthorized payment directly to my bank account, so I figured I could just load my Presto card thru apple pay with my linked debit card, however I don't see that option when I click "Add Funds".

I did this once last year (via credit card) but haven't done it since.

Any suggestions or are the steps different now? I have queried my card via NFC in the app, and it shows the correct balance but no way to load via Apple Pay.

• 4 months later...

TTC Presto devices are being updated to show the transfer time expiry, how much remaining and validity of monthly pass. 

September 25th is when the update rolls out to surface vehicles. October 4th is when the fare gates will be updated and will take until at least mid-October to update all stations with the new setup.

For those wondering why TTC didn't display balance, it was due to David Lepofsky who is a visually impaired lawyer who is well known for challenging barriers to people with disabilities. In the Presto case, it was due to how people with visual disabilities are not able to view their balance from a turnstile or reader when tapping their card unless announced with audio. Of course not being feasible which is why the ticket vending machines are available with an audio jack and braille for those who have visual disabilities. 

I remember when I would check my balance at a ticket vending machine when taking TTC before continuing my trip. I know other agencies that received the new Presto devices, it shows the time when the transfer expires versus how much time remaining. Especially if on a route that runs very limited service.   

http://www.ttc.ca/News/2021/September/24_09_21NR_presto_screens.jsp

1 hour ago, Kelvin3157 said:

New update rolled out today and already 4 people caught using child passes on my bus within the past 15 mins

What does the reader indicate? Is there a different sound or just something on the display?

I'm not even sure the use of children's Presto card on surface vehicles. It's useful at subway stations, with the fare gates. But I don't think I've ever used it on a surface vehicle, other than to test it (after tapping my own card), or to let a kid "play with it" - though that was easy enough by just letting them tap mine.

37 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I'm not even sure the use of children's Presto card on surface vehicles. It's useful at subway stations, with the fare gates. But I don't think I've ever used it on a surface vehicle, other than to test it (after tapping my own card), or to let a kid "play with it" - though that was easy enough by just letting them tap mine.

It was to deceive the driver making think it's a usual student or senior concession when boarding through the front.

1 minute ago, Kelvin3157 said:

It was to deceive the driver making think it's a usual student or senior concession when boarding through the front.

I’m assuming your clever device unit now tells you on the top with that green bar what the fare type is? We’ve had it in Ottawa for ages and I find the amount of child/youth passed being used is insane 

9 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

I’m assuming your clever device unit now tells you on the top with that green bar what the fare type is? We’ve had it in Ottawa for ages and I find the amount of child/youth passed being used is insane 

I don't think our CleverDevices shows that information  

By the way, it also shows YRT or MiWay logos when it crosses the fare boundary

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Pretty sure it's system wide, it's just station rollout is slowly moving through

From the speed of implementation, it looks like they could simply press a button and upgrade the on-vehicle devices remotely. But have to go do the station ones manually somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed yesterday they finally rolled out the new version that shows monthly pass or transfer time remaining at subway stations. Seen at Union and Dundas. All stations should have it pretty soon if not already have the capability of showing the additional info. 

It's at all stations and in all vehicles - started about 2 weeks ago.

Best thing for me, is that it shows if you've already tapped on that vehicle - with an explanation of why one received a red X.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Best thing for me, is that it shows if you've already tapped on that vehicle - with an explanation of why one received a red X.

It's amazing such a basic feature took so long to implement.

• Like 1