PRESTO - GTA Discussion

ORION

ICAMI (In Case Anyone Missed It), PRESTO is piloting credit card payments on the UP Express (I posted the nearly same topic on the UP Express thread earlier):

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2021/03/11/presto-contactless-payment-pilot-launches-on-up-express-allowing-customers-to-tap-on-with-credit-cards-and-mobile-wallets/

In addition, the UP Express will be the first to offer Interac Debit on the system.

What remains to be seen is - how foreign-registered (and issued) credit cards (and mobile wallets) will play out on this new system.... 

(this reply was posted from my Galaxy S20 smartphone) 

• Thanks 1

I had a normal load event today recorded in Presto app & site and I can see the $20 pending charge on VISA. So it seems to be working fine now, and I guess whatever happened last week was a one time glitch and I got $20 worth of fare free.

• 2 months later...

Is Apple Pay no longer an option on the iOS Presto app to load funds? My credit card got skimmed somewhere, so I'm waiting for 7-10 business days for a new one, and my auto-load won't work.

I am always hesitant to set up any sort of preauthorized payment directly to my bank account, so I figured I could just load my Presto card thru apple pay with my linked debit card, however I don't see that option when I click "Add Funds".

I did this once last year (via credit card) but haven't done it since.

Any suggestions or are the steps different now? I have queried my card via NFC in the app, and it shows the correct balance but no way to load via Apple Pay.

• 4 months later...

TTC Presto devices are being updated to show the transfer time expiry, how much remaining and validity of monthly pass. 

September 25th is when the update rolls out to surface vehicles. October 4th is when the fare gates will be updated and will take until at least mid-October to update all stations with the new setup.

For those wondering why TTC didn't display balance, it was due to David Lepofsky who is a visually impaired lawyer who is well known for challenging barriers to people with disabilities. In the Presto case, it was due to how people with visual disabilities are not able to view their balance from a turnstile or reader when tapping their card unless announced with audio. Of course not being feasible which is why the ticket vending machines are available with an audio jack and braille for those who have visual disabilities. 

I remember when I would check my balance at a ticket vending machine when taking TTC before continuing my trip. I know other agencies that received the new Presto devices, it shows the time when the transfer expires versus how much time remaining. Especially if on a route that runs very limited service.   

http://www.ttc.ca/News/2021/September/24_09_21NR_presto_screens.jsp

I'm not even sure the use of children's Presto card on surface vehicles. It's useful at subway stations, with the fare gates. But I don't think I've ever used it on a surface vehicle, other than to test it (after tapping my own card), or to let a kid "play with it" - though that was easy enough by just letting them tap mine.

37 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I'm not even sure the use of children's Presto card on surface vehicles. It's useful at subway stations, with the fare gates. But I don't think I've ever used it on a surface vehicle, other than to test it (after tapping my own card), or to let a kid "play with it" - though that was easy enough by just letting them tap mine.

It was to deceive the driver making think it's a usual student or senior concession when boarding through the front.

1 minute ago, Kelvin3157 said:

It was to deceive the driver making think it's a usual student or senior concession when boarding through the front.

I’m assuming your clever device unit now tells you on the top with that green bar what the fare type is? We’ve had it in Ottawa for ages and I find the amount of child/youth passed being used is insane 

9 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

I’m assuming your clever device unit now tells you on the top with that green bar what the fare type is? We’ve had it in Ottawa for ages and I find the amount of child/youth passed being used is insane 

I don't think our CleverDevices shows that information  

By the way, it also shows YRT or MiWay logos when it crosses the fare boundary

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Pretty sure it's system wide, it's just station rollout is slowly moving through

From the speed of implementation, it looks like they could simply press a button and upgrade the on-vehicle devices remotely. But have to go do the station ones manually somehow.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Best thing for me, is that it shows if you've already tapped on that vehicle - with an explanation of why one received a red X.

It's amazing such a basic feature took so long to implement.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

From a MiWay Transit operator: Contactless open payment is coming soon which the customer would simply tap their credit card on-board the payment device. 

No launch date yet. Here are the takeaways:

• The regular cash fare of $4 will be charged
  • If Go Transit ever accepts open payment on their Presto devices, the co-fare will apply (free ride)
  • Will only accept Visa, Mastercard and American Express both physical cards and mobile payments (Apple Pay and Google Pay)
  • Debit cards will not work with the contactless open payment system yet

The key takeaway is that the same payment method has to be retained to utilize the two hour transfer window. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 9:10 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

From a MiWay Transit operator: Contactless open payment is coming soon which the customer would simply tap their credit card on-board the payment device. 

No launch date yet. Here are the takeaways:

• The regular cash fare of $4 will be charged
  • If Go Transit ever accepts open payment on their Presto devices, the co-fare will apply (free ride)
  • Will only accept Visa, Mastercard and American Express both physical cards and mobile payments (Apple Pay and Google Pay)
  • Debit cards will not work with the contactless open payment system yet

The key takeaway is that the same payment method has to be retained to utilize the two hour transfer window. 

ICAMI (In Case Anyone Missed It),  the Conactless Open Payment is finally live - albeit with GO Transit, Miway, Oakville Transit and Brampton Transit (at the time of writing). 

Right now, only Credit Cards are accepted. Debit is still available (only for the time being) on the UP Express. 

This new way is finally launched - in time for the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) in Toronto next Friday August 19th, 2022. 

2 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

ICAMI (In Case Anyone Missed It),  the Conactless Open Payment is finally live - albeit with GO Transit, Miway, Oakville Transit and Brampton Transit (at the time of writing). 

Right now, only Credit Cards are accepted. Debit is still available (only for the time being) on the UP Express. 

This new way is finally launched - in time for the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) in Toronto next Friday August 19th, 2022. 

Just saw the press release, there is the 15 percent loyalty discount for using the same payment method starting with the first tap. Adult fares will be charged when using contactless or mobile payments. Presto is the better choice if needing to program a concession (fare discount) onto the card.

Press release attached. 

https://www.gotransit.com/en/blog/tapwithcredit

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Finally, the TTC adapts the new readers

F66997FE-458F-4277-A56F-F620D97138D4.png

Thanks for sharing. I know TTC is the last two remaining transit agencies with PNG (Presto Next Generation) that was supposed to handle open payments. Other one is OC Transpo in Ottawa, Ontario which they are replacing with their own version with similar features. 

• Like 1