PRESTO - GTA Discussion

ORION

17 hours ago, MK78 said:

Interesting. It would have been cool if the readers & cameras were PoE+ powered from a central switch. Maybe the cameras are, as security cameras have long been available in PoE powered form.

I don't think it's necessary. They are professionally installing wires and all would be hidden away. I don't see an advantage here.

22 hours ago, MK78 said:

Interesting. It would have been cool if the readers & cameras were PoE+ powered from a central switch. Maybe the cameras are, as security cameras have long been available in PoE powered form.

It's kind of six for one, half a dozen the other for the most part, isn't it?

Personally, and this is just my practical experience as systems technologist speaking, I've found it preferable to be able to power up devices independently of the network particularly in no-network problem situations for troubleshooting purposes vs. completely dead and blind when the network and power are on the same line from the same point of origin which creates multiple single points of total failure.

35 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Ah, so the cameras are analog. Interesting.

Of course because that’s what co-axial cable means, right?

838FD8BB-B3B7-4BBB-A0AA-FD7B32A19FAA.thumb.jpeg.58dd853cc9d00103880401f1d3140531.jpeg

And that’s how it’s recorded too, right?

Cripes, I know I’m getting old, but sending digital video down coax cable’s been pretty common since the early nineties.

Not necessarily.  Truthfully, I honestly thought, in this day and age, any new security camera installation would be digital over IP using ethernet, not any of the serial digital formats, or data down a coax LAN connection, and definitely not NTSC/PAL.  Analog video gives me nightmares from a previous job I had.   Jeez, I was a kid back then.  I've had that tape manual so long the binding spiral fell apart when I pulled it out for that picture.

Finally a sensible move from Metrolinx to solve a problem - https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/09/16/youll-soon-be-able-to-load-a-new-presto-card-with-only-a-nickel-but-the-card-itself-will-still-set-you-back-6.html

The requirement to have to load $10 on a card, that would never get used (say for someone who always had a TTC pass or a child) was absurd.

Who in their right mind every thought up the minimum $10 requirement?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, nfitz said:

Finally a sensible move from Metrolinx to solve a problem - https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/09/16/youll-soon-be-able-to-load-a-new-presto-card-with-only-a-nickel-but-the-card-itself-will-still-set-you-back-6.html

The requirement to have to load $10 on a card, that would never get used (say for someone who always had a TTC pass or a child) was absurd.

Who in their right mind every thought up the minimum $10 requirement?

You need to take into consideration that this was developed before free rides for children. So kinda makes sense. But they should have thought about the possibility of that or at least taken into consideration.

24 minutes ago, Shaun said:

You need to take into consideration that this was developed before free rides for children. So kinda makes sense. But they should have thought about the possibility of that or at least taken into consideration.

It may have been, but Presto have been offering passes for some transit agencies now for almost 10 years. And with a pass you don't need cash. So why make them pay $10 you can never spend. You can't even use the money to buy the pass!

I've still not figured out what I'm supposed to do with the $30 or so each on two different kids passes, when GO went to free rides.

• 1 month later...

ICAMI (In Case Anyone Had Missed It):

Metrolinx is starting a trial that allows users to pay using their credit/debit cards or even their mobile devices next year - once testing is successful. 

Further reading:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/11/04/metrolinx-to-start-trial-that-lets-customers-tap-credit-cards-phones-on-presto-readers-next-year-ceo-says.html
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/metrolinx-trial-paves-way-for-presto-users-to-tap-with-phones-credit-cards-1.4671495

I still don't know which company/vendor is supplying the new PRESTO Card readers...the ones that I knew out of my head are:

• Schiedt & Bachmann
  • Vix
  • Thales
  • Genfare
  • Cubic
  • TAG Canada
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

I still don't know which company/vendor is supplying the new PRESTO Card readers...the ones that I knew out of my head are:

• Schiedt & Bachmann
  • Vix
  • Thales
  • Genfare
  • Cubic
  • TAG Canada

Hope it isn't Shit Bachmann... their devices are always have some sort of issue as seen with the TTC numerous times... and now GRT's EasyGO system is also struggling

The Thales readers are pretty reliable out on the other GTA systems

1 hour ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Hope it isn't Shit Bachmann... their devices are always have some sort of issue as seen with the TTC numerous times... and now GRT's EasyGO system is also struggling

I don't care which company will supply... I just want the balance to be displayed on the machine like the GO, Miway. It is so stupid that we can't check our balance directly from the device in the vehicle. 

3 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Ottawa had massive teething issues with the S&B readers, but they were ironed out pretty quickly and have been fairly reliable ever since. It's pretty rare that I see a non-functioning reader here now. It's interesting that Toronto seems to be struggling so much with the same readers.

21 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

ICAMI (In Case Anyone Had Missed It):

Metrolinx is starting a trial that allows users to pay using their credit/debit cards or even their mobile devices next year - once testing is successful. 

Further reading:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/11/04/metrolinx-to-start-trial-that-lets-customers-tap-credit-cards-phones-on-presto-readers-next-year-ceo-says.html
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/metrolinx-trial-paves-way-for-presto-users-to-tap-with-phones-credit-cards-1.4671495

• Schiedt & Bachmann
  • Vix
  • Thales
  • Genfare
  • Cubic
  • TAG Canada

I can't identify who makes that one either. Xerox ACS is another manufacturer for your list, they had the original TTC contract before it was given to PRESTO.

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2019 at 8:35 PM, Flalex72 said:

Ottawa had massive teething issues with the S&B readers, but they were ironed out pretty quickly and have been fairly reliable ever since. It's pretty rare that I see a non-functioning reader here now. It's interesting that Toronto seems to be struggling so much with the same readers.

I can't identify who makes that one either. Xerox ACS is another manufacturer for your list, they had the original TTC contract before it was given to PRESTO.

I thought Xerox spun off it's fare collection/transportation solutions to a new company called "Conduent", no?

27 minutes ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

I thought Xerox spun off it's fare collection/transportation solutions to a new company called "Conduent", no?

Yes, the ACS stuff now goes by Conduent. They're supplying the new readers for Gatineau's STO, as they did 20 years ago when STO adopted the first contactless farecard in the western hemisphere.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah - my first card clash!

Normally I pull out my card, but I was lazy today, and with the Presto Card right in the first holder in my wallet, I just open the wallet, and tapped the whole thing.

And heard a concession beep instead of a regular one. Normally I have a kids card in my wallet as well - so no damage. But I'd forgotten there was a seniors card in there as well. Oops ... putting that somewhere else now ...

This will only become more of a problem when they get Interac tap enabled.

Why do you have 3 presto cards in your wallet? :D

Yeah I hope there will be a way to block your debit card from being accepted at presto readers. I don't want errant charges if my wallet is in the vicinity of the reader. I've had the presto card light up before when I was near it, either my phone NFC or other NFC cards in my wallet triggered it.

Will have to get one of those RFID blocker wallets.

6 hours ago, MK78 said:

I hope the one for the 7-year old should be obvious. I keep a spare senior's card around with all the septuagenarian relatives that pop into town ... nothing more annoying than having to buy a GO fare manually when the train is coming. But I guess I forgot to take it out of my wallet and put it somewhere less accessible.

More normal is to have 2 kids cards and an adult card in my wallet ...

4 hours ago, MK78 said:

Yeah I hope there will be a way to block your debit card from being accepted at presto readers. I don't want errant charges if my wallet is in the vicinity of the reader. I've had the presto card light up before when I was near it, either my phone NFC or other NFC cards in my wallet triggered it.

Will have to get one of those RFID blocker wallets.

Back when I was using up my tokens, squeezed by a reader exiting a flexity and inadvertently paid with the presto card in my back pocket... ?

Yet with other readers you have to mash your card into it for it to be read...

• Like 1

I have an extra card that I keep just in case my main one runs out and it ran out of money the other day and I haven’t got around to filling it so when I though I was tapping my card that worked I was actually tapping my empty card and embarrassedly had to re-tap with my proper card

Presto system messed up and charged me $21.00 for a short journey on the 92 from Oshawa to Whitby. I have a student presto and I should be charged $3.40 which is the price for the journey. It also says I didn’t tap off which I did. I emailed presto support on Tuesday still no response and I’m writing this on Friday night 

Here’s what it should’ve cost me

711518D7-B278-4A0F-8289-FB2E80F75993.png

Here’s how much it ended up costing and triggering my auto load 

B9FDBE6B-2864-4806-8230-CB715948D876.png

Today, I was at Union Station testing out the new PRESTO readers. I was very pleased with the new features and if I remembered correctly here are the ways with the "mode" button (if I'm not mistaken):

• Press the "Mode" 1x to "override" your trip
  • To cancel your trip, you must press the "Mode" button 2x
  • To check your balance, press the "Mode" button 3x

What I like about the new readers - is a QR code reader (hopefully they will accept tickets (paper or paperless) with QR codes). I also saw a symbol with an "EMV Contactless" logo. For now, they can only accept PRESTO cards (eventually, they will accept debit/credit cards and mobile wallets).

As a sidenote, I've found an "Interesting teardown" on what the new PRESTO readers (for the GO buses) are. The link can be founded here (DISCLAIMER: I do not own the links, etc.): https://fccid.io/2AGQIFX925F/Letter/The-family-Declaration-4525461