PRESTO - GTA Discussion

ORION

4 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

It pretty much works even if the GPS location isn't accurate

unknown-1.png

That's the whole point. It no longer needs to reference the massive table to see if a transfer is valid - it just needs to do some simple math with the timestamp that is already embedded on each tap onto your card.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, I Alam said:

Hey does anyone know where in the stations they’re giving out the presto cards? I just check with oakville and they told me they have no clue since it’s being done by scotia bank.  

2 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Are you talking about TTC or GO stations?

The original link provides the information.

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:
3 hours ago, I Alam said:

Hey does anyone know where in the stations they’re giving out the presto cards? I just check with oakville and they told me they have no clue since it’s being done by scotia bank.  

The original link provides the information.

I'm mot seeing that information in the original link - https://www.blogto.com/city/2018/09/scotiabank-giving-away-thousands-free-presto-cards-toronto/. It mentions starting at 4 p.m. at TTC Spadina, College, Kipling, Finch, Eglinton, Don Mills and Kennedy stations along with the Oakville, Mimico, Pickering and Scarborough GO stations.

But no indication where in the stations?

Are you looking at a different link?

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

I'm mot seeing that information in the original link - https://www.blogto.com/city/2018/09/scotiabank-giving-away-thousands-free-presto-cards-toronto/. It mentions starting at 4 p.m. at TTC Spadina, College, Kipling, Finch, Eglinton, Don Mills and Kennedy stations along with the Oakville, Mimico, Pickering and Scarborough GO stations.

Trust me if you arrive at any of the stations even a half hour before the giveaway someone has started their own line up. I was Eglinton today, they had station supervisors and constables there. Barely lasted 10 minutes and all the cards were gone.

There was a huge lineup at Kennedy before 4pm it was 90% chinese and other asians. Even had a Toronto Police officer.

I had no idea what the lineup was about I figured it was some sort of trip. Now it made sense lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Don Mills and Finch lines stretched all the way out of the station and reaches the major intersections. Eglinton wasn't really that bad, and the College line went as far as Church. Kennedy and Eglinton were handing them out in the fare paid area.

At Spadina, the line began in the unused bus bay and stretched all the way onto Bloor.

15 hours ago, nfitz said:

Oops, I didn't read closely enough, saw "where" but not "in the station".

It was pretty obvious at Mimico GO. Once they set up in the parking lot, it went pretty quickly. The initial crowd was maybe a hundred or a bit more, so the 750 should have lasted a while. So I now have a working Presto card with $8 on it. Which doesn't really make up for Scotiabank giving me zippo interest on the GICs they rolled over without telling me.

On 10/4/2018 at 6:50 AM, Ed T. said:

Oops, I didn't read closely enough, saw "where" but not "in the station".

It was pretty obvious at Mimico GO. Once they set up in the parking lot, it went pretty quickly. The initial crowd was maybe a hundred or a bit more, so the 750 should have lasted a while. So I now have a working Presto card with $8 on it. Which doesn't really make up for Scotiabank giving me zippo interest on the GICs they rolled over without telling me.

I was at Mimico I was able to get at both Mimico and Oakville Mimico probably had the least amount of people for any station.

6 minutes ago, I Alam said:

I was at Mimico I was able to get at both Mimico and Oakville Mimico probably had the least amount of people for any station.

I heard Mimico and Oakville had a small or no line up at all, and someone I know got 2 cards at Oakville as there wasn't too many people at those stations.

1 minute ago, Kelvin3157 said:

I heard Mimico and Oakville had a small or no line up at all, and someone I know got 2 cards at Oakville as there wasn't too many people at those stations.

I'm not gonna go into details on how many cards I got, but it's way more than I should have been able to get.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, littlewill1166 said:

Hey Bus Medic,

Did you ever find out the answer to my question? I think it would be a helpful feature now that 2-hour transfers have been rolled out. It would be nice to find out how much time you have left.

Nope. I just run the wires.

12 hours ago, littlewill1166 said:

Hey Bus Medic,

Did you ever find out the answer to my question? I think it would be a helpful feature now that 2-hour transfers have been rolled out. It would be nice to find out how much time you have left.

You were given the answer to your question 2 pages ago. No, there is no plan to offer that functionality.

Dan

5 minutes ago, smallspy said:

You were given the answer to your question 2 pages ago. No, there is no plan to offer that functionality.

Dan

I thought you were speculating, I didn't think that was an actual confirmed answer. It would still be something that would be nice to have given that 2-hour transfers are now a thing.

1 hour ago, littlewill1166 said:

I thought you were speculating, I didn't think that was an actual confirmed answer. It would still be something that would be nice to have given that 2-hour transfers are now a thing.

Agreed.  Anyone who got used to Presto on the 905 systems and/or GO long before it got rolled out on the TTC became accustomed to having both the time remaining and balance remaining shown on the display when the card's tapped.  Going from that to the checkmark or x display on the TTC Presto readers that simply indicates a Yay or Nay on that it was able to read the card and didn't bounce is like an oversimplified step backwards.

3 hours ago, littlewill1166 said:

It's not speculation - the TTC has received the legal opinion that displaying personal user information such as the balance and time left could be seen as a violation of ones privacy, and thus they are erring on the side of caution.

Dan

34 minutes ago, smallspy said:

It's not speculation - the TTC has received the legal opinion that displaying personal user information such as the balance and time left could be seen as a violation of ones privacy, and thus they are erring on the side of caution.

Totally out of your hands of course ...

Though there's nothing stopping Presto adding a setting to their website, to let people opt-in to see their time left, if they so choose.

And I'm not sure how "time left" would be a privacy invasion once those paper Presto tickets come around. (that's might be a confusion nightmare - how does one keep track of which paper tickets one has used, and which one hasn't - everywhere else I can think of, such paper tickets get something printed on them).

47 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Dan

Not necessarily if it's displayed on the VISION console. If that's the case then the app that fare inspectors use to query cards is also a privacy violation.

• Like 1