PRESTO - GTA Discussion

ORION

2 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Coming soon Presto Mobile  

Source Mobilesyrup

Wow, nice. Right now I have my presto card stuffed underneath the case of my iPhone 8. It works fine on buses, but the fare gates have a harder time reading it, i have to hold it for several seconds.

Would be nice to be able to use it as a stored card within the Wallet app.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this... Two days in a row, bus 8145 on 31 Greenwood, has been running with 1 presto reader dead, and there is no second reader on this bus by the back doors. How does the TTC send out this bus in revenue service with one dead reader, and with knowledge that there is no second reader onboard?

I don't know how these are powered, but I had a look around the post where they are normally attached, and did not see any holes that would indicate that one was removed for service, so maybe this bus never had its second reader installed?

1prestodead.jpg

2 hours ago, MK78 said:

Maybe someone can shed some light on this... Two days in a row, bus 8145 on 31 Greenwood, has been running with 1 presto reader dead, and there is no second reader on this bus by the back doors. How does the TTC send out this bus in revenue service with one dead reader, and with knowledge that there is no second reader onboard?

I don't know how these are powered, but I had a look around the post where they are normally attached, and did not see any holes that would indicate that one was removed for service, so maybe this bus never had its second reader installed?

1prestodead.jpg

You might want to alert customer service, not much help telling us. Looks like it may well have fallen through the cracks. They can alert Plan group to come back and finish the job.

defective readers are flagged by the garage wi fi network, and my understanding is work orders are automatically generated for plan group to investigate. Commission employees have literally nothing to do with them.

furthermore, If i was the foreman and was down to the wire for the morning or afternoon rush, Facing the prospect of having my knuckles rapped for “not making service” I’d release that unit without too much hesitation.  Apparently it’s been dispatched consistently the last couple of days, likely on the lowest mileage runs possible. I mean, they can hold it, if you enjoy waiting in a gap for a run that’s been cancelled..

Taking blame for another organization’s problem? 

I don’t think so. Homey don’t play dat.

• Like 1

Good idea, I will send a message to customer service.

However, why would this bus only have 1 reader? I haven't seen a bus with just 1 reader after all the routes were declared Presto capable.

Thanks for the info how the buses are flagged for bad readers, but would TTC know that a bus only has 1 or 2 readers? Surely someone would have spotted it at some point. As for the power to the unit, does it go thru the post?

Ask Plan group. As metrolinx’s contractor, they’re the ones responsible for installation and maintenance of those. As for catching it on inspection...not my division, but the glaring morale deficiency isn’t helping. You need motivated people to get things done, and have some sense of integrity in what they do. Best way to achieve that is to treat them as exactly that. People. Not automatons with serial numbers.

The shock and awe managerial techniques they find so novel will not achieve that. (For the sake of balance..it is a two way street. Respect is earned, not demanded...and much needs to change to meet the bosses halfway. Starting with the attitude that management are categorically out to get one over on the unionized sheep- er,... people.) ATU is just as culpable for cultivating this irrational fear.

Ethernet and power cables run through that stanchion to the overhead duct. Computing equipment is mounted on the very top of the driver’s barrier electrical cabinet on the Orions.

7 hours ago, MK78 said:

1prestodead.jpg

That bus has no rear readers for a while now. Funny enough, I caught it on the 31 back in January when it had no reader.

9 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

The shock and awe managerial techniques they find so novel will not achieve that. (For the sake of balance..it is a two way street. Respect is earned, not demanded...and much needs to change to meet the bosses halfway. Starting with the attitude that management are categorically out to get one over on the unionized sheep- er,... people.) ATU is just as culpable for cultivating this irrational fear.

It's off topic for this thread, but how recently have these problems occurred? Anything to do with the change in CEO?

Interesting that suddenly there are "Hero....Marathoner....Astronaut....and TTC Operator!" posters up all over the place to encourage people to apply (I guess).

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/27/2018 at 5:00 PM, MK78 said:

1prestodead.jpg

Add 8137 to the list of buses with no rear reader. On 31 right now.

5 hours ago, Andythagiant said:

Add 8137 to the list of buses with no rear reader. On 31 right now.

Hah, maybe they stick all the reject buses on 31, a low revenue route I'm guessing with only 2 buses for the most part of the day, 3 buses in the 3pm rush hour, and 1 bus weekends/holidays.

I was on 31 today but I didnt pay attention to the readers, because the front one worked for me to tap.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

They have to communicate with the GPS system to accurately debit your account, so, yes.

What a milestone that would be when it comes to paying cross-border fares by PRESTO!

But another thing to work out is how to handle transfers - for example, if I ride a TTC bus into Markham where I change to Viva, how would YRT's PRESTO readers recognize I paid my fare on the TTC vehicle and avoid deducting another charge? And vice versa, too - definitely needs some kind of integration between all the agencies and Metrolinx.

21 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

They have to communicate with the GPS system to accurately debit your account, so, yes.

I hope that it will be more accurate with Vision. Cuz its horribly inaccurate now, even though the bus itself is tracking correctly on NextBus.

I've stopped checking the Presto log since i signed up for the monthly pass discount plan, but I did for a few months before that, and it was horribly inaccurate.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:21 PM, Transit geek said:

What a milestone that would be when it comes to paying cross-border fares by PRESTO!

But another thing to work out is how to handle transfers - for example, if I ride a TTC bus into Markham where I change to Viva, how would YRT's PRESTO readers recognize I paid my fare on the TTC vehicle and avoid deducting another charge? And vice versa, too - definitely needs some kind of integration between all the agencies and Metrolinx.

When I was in Toronto on the Victoria Day weekend, I used my Ottawa Presto card (instead of buying a TTC day pass as I usually do) to go from downtown to CN MacMillan Yard. I tapped on the first TTC bus, then the subway at Queen's Park, then Viva Orange at VMC. Later I used a couple of now-YRT 107s, from Highway 7 to Rutherford Road, then from Rutherford to York U station, where I went back into TTC country. When I checked my Presto usage report, I found it had charged me properly for the TTC trip, and for the 2 YRT 107 trips - but not for the Viva trip, from VMC to Keele. The system did record all TTC initial tap-ons and transfers properly. The next day I used my card for a GO train Union-Aldershot and back. The best thing for the YRT trips was not needing exact change, which I needed when TTC ran the 107 in York Region. I'm puzzled, though, why TTC readers only show "Accepted/Not Accepted", and not the pass/transfer time remaining, fare charged, and balance left, as OC Transpo, YRT, and GO readers do (I can't speak to any of the other Presto systems).

3 hours ago, Mark Walton said:

I'm puzzled, though, why TTC readers only show "Accepted/Not Accepted", and not the pass/transfer time remaining, fare charged, and balance left, as OC Transpo, YRT, and GO readers do (I can't speak to any of the other Presto systems).

Apparently they show those interfaces only due to privacy concerns.

Mississauga, Brampton, Hamilton show the balance $ remaining on my card plus lights and sounds to indicate accepted fare paid and type of fare. I get a green and a yellow and a different sound as I'm paying a senior fare.

18 minutes ago, soo8513 said:

Mississauga, Brampton, Hamilton show the balance $ remaining on my card plus lights and sounds to indicate accepted fare paid and type of fare. I get a green and a yellow and a different sound as I'm paying a senior fare.

I was talking about the VISION system the TTC was rolling out. I think the transit agencies you listed are using first gen equipment that isn't integrated with the bus tracking/dispatch system.

15 hours ago, littlewill1166 said:

Can drivers check card balances, concessions, etc. on the screen?

With the current system - no. With the exception of the tie-in to the GPS feed, there are no connections between Presto and CIS.

With VISION? There will be connections between the two, as operators will log in with their Presto-issued employee cards. But it's unlikely that they will be given the ability to check for balances and concessions on a customer's card.

Dan

I hope someone can help me shed some light on this.. Yesterday I was riding my bike along the Rouge Hill area, where i had a mechanical breakdown. I was just passing the Rouge HIll Go Station on the WaterFront Trail.

So I figured, rather than trying to take two TTC buses and risk using the bike racks (I've seen two bikes fall off them), I thought why not just take the Go Train, one station to Guildwood which is 5 minute walk from my house.

I checked the schedule and the train was coming in about 10 minutes, so I tapped my Presto on the reader outside of the platform, the train arrived and I got off Guildwood GO station within just a few minutes, and I tapped on the reader outside of the station. I thought this was the procedure, I had never used Presto on the GO Train before.

So today I checked my presto site, just to see how much I was charged, I was curious.

7/21/2018 2:27:00 PM Go Transit Rouge Hill GO Station Rail Fare Payment   $0.00 $5.30

So it appears it charged me $5.30 for a single station. I thought that was pretty high, but I hadn't taken the go train in nearly 20 years when I used to work in Etobicoke and used to take the Lakeshore East line from Guildwood to Long Branch, and it used to cost ~$10 for a return ticket. But anyway, that's not the point, I checked the GO Transit fare calculator, and it appears that I should have been charged $4.71 for a Presto fare, the $5.30 is for a cash fare.

Is there something missing here, why I was charged the cash fare? Perhaps the system didn't register me "tapping off" at Guildwood GO? The reader did make a noise, I didn't pay much attention to what it said on the display readout though.

Thanks

prestocharge.JPG