PRESTO - GTA Discussion

ORION

14 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Another thing, why does it take so long for taps made on some Presto gates to show up? I was missing a tap from Greenwood Station since March 1st, it only appeared today.

Probably a byproduct of the software capacity problems.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2018/01/27/ttc-struggling-with-presto-fare-gate-capacity.html

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

Another thing, why does it take so long for taps made on some Presto gates to show up? I was missing a tap from Greenwood Station since March 1st, it only appeared today.

Well this happened on a MiWay bus, it didn't update, and I ended getting charged for Oakville as well as it didn't count the transfer from the MiWay bus

Notice the large balance gap

over.PNG

Still haven't gotten my money back

15 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

Ah, yeah, I recall reading something about it...

This Presto rollout on the TTC has been quite a fustercluck. And many more challenges to go, I think they will probably have to push back the discontinuing of legacy fare media. I have yet to see a single of those Presto vending machines in any of the East end stations that I frequent. Greenwood has had the wiring set up for it since they put in the fare gates last year, they're just dangling from the ceiling.

Hey, so I'm kind of new to Presto I bought one the last time I visited Toronto from one of the newsstands in the subway. But I'm just curious as to what happens if I were to tap in at Niagara Falls and ride all the way to Toronto Union Station and then Tap out even though I doubt my card has enough money for such a trip. Would I get a fee added to my card, or would the balance go into the negatives, or would I get rejected at the transfer point?

29 minutes ago, I Alam said:

Hey, so I'm kind of new to Presto I bought one the last time I visited Toronto from one of the newsstands in the subway. But I'm just curious as to what happens if I were to tap in at Niagara Falls and ride all the way to Toronto Union Station and then Tap out even though I doubt my card has enough money for such a trip. Would I get a fee added to my card, or would the balance go into the negatives, or would I get rejected at the transfer point?

It will go into overdraft (into negatives) if you registered your card

40 minutes ago, I Alam said:

If what if it's unregistered? 

Then it won't work, considering unregistered cards could be held responsible for losses, and they wouldn't know who tapped it into overdraft.

From the PRESTO website:

PRESTO card users who have created a My PRESTO Account have the benefit of taking one trip when the cost of the trip exceeds the balance on the card. If you hit a negative balance, you will be charged a $0.25 fee the next time you load your card.

GO Transit customers can only go into a negative balance if you start your trip with at least $5.30 on your card.

1 hour ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Then it won't work, considering unregistered cards could be held responsible for losses, and they wouldn't know who tapped it into overdraft.

From the PRESTO website:

So would that mean I'd have to register my card before I can use it?

2 minutes ago, I Alam said:

So would that mean I'd have to register my card before I can use it?

You still can use it without registering, but if you register your card, more benefits and advantages are available, such as saving your balance in case you lose your card, card activity, loading passes or money online.. etc 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I exported my final TTC March Presto numbers, I wanted to figure out the error rate of the Presto GPS...

I only counted ones that were really off or just "0". too, there were a few that were 1 or 2 stops off, which I find adequately accurate.

So on 78 recorded taps, its a staggering 23% error rate on the location. Pretty nuts.

If I see Brad Ross at Greenwood Station, I'll have to ask him, heh... He must live in the area cuz I've seen him there many times entering the subway before 8am.

Hey I have a couple more questions about Presto. I would really appreciate if someone could answer these for me.

1) How long does it generally take for spefically for Go buses/trains && TTC buses to update for TVM refills?

2) Is there a TVM at Niagara Falls?

3) When transferring between trains at Union Station, do I have to tap my card at Union or do I only tap off at the end or my train journey?

3 hours ago, I Alam said:

Hey I have a couple more questions about Presto. I would really appreciate if someone could answer these for me.

1) How long does it generally take for specifically for Go buses/trains && TTC buses to update for TVM refills?

2) Is there a TVM at Niagara Falls?

3) When transferring between trains at Union Station, do I have to tap my card at Union or do I only tap off at the end or my train journey?

1.) TVM/Station loads are instant ( Meaning you can tap on the next bus/train and whatever you loaded will be there (NO 24/48 Hr wait) )  

2.) According to  this page , Theres no Tvm at Niagara Falls Stn only a Ticket counter.

3.) If your Transferring between the GO and TTC you Tap Off  GO then tap on the TTC (You only pay $1.50 to get on the TTC)

For a continuous trip on GO , see below.

From Prestocard.ca

Tap the PRESTO device each time you board a bus or at the station before you board your train. Tap again when you exit.

GO Transit fares are calculated based on distance travelled. If you forget to tap at the end of your trip, you will be charged the fare to the furthest destination on the line you’re travelling. Your card will be charged automatically the next time you tap.

There is a 3 hour travel window to complete your GO trip. Transfer credits will be automatically applied when transferring between GO Buses, from GO Buses to GO Trains, or from GO Trains to GO Buses. Transfers between GO Transit and other participating systems must also occur within 3 hours.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

1.) TVM/Station loads are instant ( Meaning you can tap on the next bus/train and whatever you loaded will be there (NO 24/48 Hr wait) )  

2.) According to  this page , Theres no Tvm at Niagara Falls Stn only a Ticket counter.

3.) If your Transferring between the GO and TTC you Tap Off  GO then tap on the TTC (You only pay $1.50 to get on the TTC)

For a continuous trip on GO , see below.

Hope this helps.

Ahh thanks

I’m assuming the ticket counter cna reload the card for me. 

Also what if I’m transferring between go trains at Union Station not the TTC.

41 minutes ago, I Alam said:

Ahh thanks

I’m assuming the ticket counter cna reload the card for me. 

Also what if I’m transferring between go trains at Union Station not the TTC.

Don't tap at Union when transferring between Trains, just tap off at your final destination.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dj.surf.lfs said:

Don't tap at Union when transferring between Trains, just tap off at your final destination.

1 hour ago, Oc4526 said:

Correct.

Ah thanks for the help. It seems the fare structure is much simpler than I thought.

On 2018-04-09 at 9:31 AM, dj.surf.lfs said:

The caveat I realized pulling into Kitchener station the other day, is :

you must tap off at Union, if your second train is Via Rail and not GO Transit!

(doh! - they kindly refunded the 100%-my-fault penalty-fare though, when I phoned GO Transit after my next trip!).

I wouldn't assume that every remote GO ticket agent can handle Presto - and what if the station is unstaffed that day?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2018 at 12:18 PM, MK78 said:

Ah, yeah, I recall reading something about it...

This Presto rollout on the TTC has been quite a fustercluck. And many more challenges to go, I think they will probably have to push back the discontinuing of legacy fare media. I have yet to see a single of those Presto vending machines in any of the East end stations that I frequent. Greenwood has had the wiring set up for it since they put in the fare gates last year, they're just dangling from the ceiling.

They are still wanted to end legacy fare media by the end of the year. Earlier this month I have personally seen Presto people riding TTC buses and explaining to riders how to use Presto, where to buy, how to load and that legacy fare will be replaced by end of the year.