PRESTO - GTA Discussion

ORION

• Root Admin

The Government of Ontario and its transit partners are introducing an innovative and easy-to-use fare system that will make ridign public transit more convenient. I got a copy of the brochure earlier this morning at work. Looks pretty sharp and interesting. They've launched their website as well. PRESTO - Tap onto Transit!. Interesting, the website shows Mississauga Transit GM Artic #5034 on the front and other pages, also showing a GO Train and Subway Train.

One thing I'm concerned about is if the 2-hour usage for transfers for York and Mississauga (and other transit systems in the GTA as well) would be eliminated, or would it be kept the same?

Like, let's say I use my Presto Card in Bus A, and I need to transfer to Bus B at a specified stop. Then I get off Bus A and transfer to Bus B (note: of the same region, and it has been less than 2 hours). So if I use my card at Bus B, would it also deduct the fare, or would it realize that the 2-hour limit has not expired yet and let me have the free ride onboard?

It's interesting that the announced card is more "conventional" than originally talked about. For example, there was talk of progressive discounts, so that they more you use it the more you save. Instead, they are going with a regular fare system with the option to buy a monthly pass.

Still, there are some advantages for the rider. Simplified management (no need to track multiple ticket types, etc), the ability to order buy monthly passes up to three months in advance, the ability to ride once after it expires in case you forget to renew, the ability to renew via the web using a credit card, etc. But balancing that out is the extra work required on the part of the user. GO Train users will need to tap in, GO Bus riders will need to tap in and off (and what happens if you forget to tap off), etc. Many are likely to decide that they'd rather continue using existing are media, if the option exists. I suspect that GO and other other regional systems will start forcing the issue at some point, and only giving riders the option of PRESTO or cash (or for GO, PRESTO or single or two ride fares).

It's VERY disappointing that the TTC is only committing to have access for five subway stations in 2010, and that they are omitting Yorkdale, York Mills, and STC, all of which are major GO bus terminals. I wonder whether the province will tell Toronto that PRESTO-integration is a requirement if Toronto wants full funding for Transit City and the other funded projects.

Until the TTC is fully on side, and until all operators make PRESTO their only non-cash fare option, PRESTO may remain a curiosity rather than an integrated part of the system.

One thing I'm concerned about is if the 2-hour usage for transfers for York and Mississauga (and other transit systems in the GTA as well) would be eliminated, or would it be kept the same?

Like, let's say I use my Presto Card in Bus A, and I need to transfer to Bus B at a specified stop. Then I get off Bus A and transfer to Bus B (note: of the same region, and it has been less than 2 hours). So if I use my card at Bus B, would it also deduct the fare, or would it realize that the 2-hour limit has not expired yet and let me have the free ride onboard?

I have the exact same question! Hopefully the card will realize the specific transfer limit when you travel from system to system, or from vehicle to vehicle. I hope we'll eventually see this in Kitchener, whenever GO decides to come here :D .

I'll definitly get one when it's fully implemented on MT in 2009.

There's something I don't get about installing PRESTO readers at Islington. It says it will be implemented there in 2010 and I'm guessing they're doing this due to all the MT buses that run there. Then I remembered, MT buses will be serving the new Kipling regional bus terminal by 2010 so it makes more sense to install them at Kipling due to GO and MT.

The TTC does not sound like its going to co-operate

Where did you get that from?

Anyhow, this is going to work for people who have top get around the GTA by means of nothin but transit.

its odd that 5034 would be on there, consider MT doesn't use Gm artics nor do any transit properties within north america any more and the bus doesn't even reside here either. Does Scott Richards know that pictures of his bus are being used for this service? , i just hope they got his permission for it unlike the legacy PCC incident where they used pic from websites without permission of course it got resolved but still

If anyone is wondering, Global news will be showing something about the card very soon.

EDIT: The Orion II that is wrapped for PRESTO is 9746.

Also, Adam Giambrone doesn't really like it because for one, they'd have to pay 300 million dollars to equip the hole system with the readers and two, they'd have to pay 25 million a year to keep it running. He said he would love it if they didn't have to pay for all those costs, but for now they will.

Seems interesting. I'm betting Hamilton will be phasing out their monthly passes once Presto comes along. Tickets will probably follow soon as well. I'll definitely be getting a card, as long as it's not too much of a pain in the ass to re-fill.

If anyone is wondering, Global news will be showing something about the card very soon.

EDIT: The Orion II that is wrapped for PRESTO is 9746.

Also, Adam Giambrone doesn't really like it because for one, they'd have to pay 300 million dollars to equip the hole system with the readers and two, they'd have to pay 25 million a year to keep it running. He said he would love it if they didn't have to pay for all those costs, but for now they will.

Hm. That is true. Now that that has come up, I'd prefer a GTA metropass. You can use it in ANY GTA transit system. Again from Hamilton all the way to Durham.

Hm. That is true. Now that that has come up, I'd prefer a GTA metropass. You can use it in ANY GTA transit system. Again from Hamilton all the way to Durham.

I like the PRESTO system. For an infrequent rider as myself (who enjoys 1:59 on a transit vehicle per fare as much as possible) it's more convient to carry & swipe a card than rip off a ticket every time I ride a bus. Also, no transfers needed, which means I don't get in trouble when I show a transfer from a few days ago by accident.

The Metropass idea is great, it allows unlimited travel (which means you can make those small off-peak trips without paying an additional fare). That is only great if you use the system everyday. Maybe a combination of 'metropass' and 'infrequent' PRESTOs can do here.

I like the PRESTO system. For an infrequent rider as myself (who enjoys 1:59 on a transit vehicle per fare as much as possible) it's more convient to carry & swipe a card than rip off a ticket every time I ride a bus. Also, no transfers needed, which means I don't get in trouble when I show a transfer from a few days ago by accident.

I'd prefer ithey call it "VIVA" :D

its odd that 5034 would be on there, consider MT doesn't use Gm artics nor do any transit properties within north america any more and the bus doesn't even reside here either.

Does the average person who's going to be looking at the Presto website know or care if Mississauga actually runs, or even owns, a bus pictured on the website?

That would cost... what? $600 a month? Considering a GO Pass from Oshawa to Hamilton alone is $481.00. And hence why PRESTO is good. If you so desire the ability to travel anywhere in the GTA with a monthly type pass, just load up the PRESTO card.

Anyways... I don't recall seeing anything on the PRESTO website about just being able to tap your wallet with the card in it, to a reader. There are systems out there that allow you to just tap your wallet to the card reader. Does anyone know if this will be possible with PRESTO?

Anyways... I don't recall seeing anything on the PRESTO website about just being able to tap your wallet with the card in it, to a reader. There are systems out there that allow you to just tap your wallet to the card reader. Does anyone know if this will be possible with PRESTO?

It should be, as it is RFID technology.