PRESTO - GTA Discussion

ORION

Maybe Go should raise cash fares and cut presto fares to encourage more people to use presto or charge say an extra fifty cents for those who want to pay cash on board?

They already did that, one of the last two fare increases changed the Presto discount from like 8.5% (or similar) to 10%.

Still not going to do anything about occasional riders or tourists who have no reason to pay $6 for a card they won't use again.

If you don't have a credit card (to top-up online), and use the bus rather than the train, then topping up on-board the bus is your only sensible option. GO says it's to reduce delays, but people paying cash cause far more delays then people topping up Presto ever does.

If you don't have a credit card (to top-up online), and use the bus rather than the train, then topping up on-board the bus is your only sensible option. GO says it's to reduce delays, but people paying cash cause far more delays then people topping up Presto ever does.

You don't need a credit card. You can have it set up to come right from your bank account (like I have) for either autoload or requested reload.

You don't need a credit card. You can have it set up to come right from your bank account (like I have) for either autoload or requested reload.

One can pay by Interac online (Select banks) as well. However I prefer to load in person as I don't trust the Auto Load feature.

Has anyone had any issues with the 2nd gen bus readers lately ? I've been getting "Card Error Contact Customer Service" here in Ottawa on select buses.

Surely they should be moving toward eliminating people paying cash to the driver as well. Significantly increase the cost of cash fares over other forms. Add vending machines on each bus. Add the ability to tap on and off with credit cards and debit cards.

• 2 months later...

Don't know if this goes here or in the TTC/Streetcar thread. Didn't know the 505 and 511 would be the next lines to be getting PRESTO on board after the 509/510. Although the listing has the 511 ahead of the 509. Will they be installing the readers on the existing fleet while the new fleet arrives?

What's next for PRESTO?

Starting this fall PRESTO will be implemented on the TTC in phases, beginning in November on select streetcar lines and subway stops.

In the spring of 2015, PRESTO will be available when the Union Pearson Express service launches, connecting Toronto Pearson International Airport and Union Station in downtown Toronto.

Streetcar%20rollout%20-%20edited%20for%2

Will they be installing the readers on the existing fleet while the new fleet arrives?

Ultimately yes, but not straight away. Readers for the current fleet would be Phase 2. Rollout is supposed to be complete by early 2017 and they haven't scheduled the final route (506) to begin conversion until 2019. So they'll have to find a way to install readers on some of the current fleet.

• 1 month later...

i have a question thats been bothering me, i suppose i could call go and ask this, but lets say i board a go bus at langstaff station that goes to union station, if i tap off the bus and connect to a lakeshore west train to go to exhibition station, what do i do? (since they are in the same fare zone) i do this infrequently for the CNE and shows (boat show, home show etc) at the direct energy buliding and would like to use presto, uptill recently i would just get a daypass,

i have a question thats been bothering me, i suppose i could call go and ask this, but lets say i board a go bus at langstaff station that goes to union station, if i tap off the bus and connect to a lakeshore west train to go to exhibition station, what do i do? (since they are in the same fare zone) i do this infrequently for the CNE and shows (boat show, home show etc) at the direct energy buliding and would like to use presto, uptill recently i would just get a daypass,

On Presto, the GO bus and GO train are separate. You always need to tap on and tap off of each bus trip, including when you are connecting between two buses. On the GO train, you only need to tap at your starting station and your final destination, so if you traveled from Langstaff to Exhibition on the train, you would only need to tap at Langstaff and at Exhibition (not at Union, even though you are transferring).

For your situation, you tap on the GO bus at Langstaff, tap off when you exit at Union, then tap the reader at Union, board the train, and tap off at Exhibition. You should have 4 taps each direction.

-$5.20 at Union, +$5.20 at Exhibition.

-$5.20 at Union, +$5.20 at Exhibition.

Yes, That's what you'd see. I've also seen this changing from a Lakeshore East to Lakeshore West train. (I didn't need to tap on and off at Union ... but I tapped off, and with a 30-minute wait, walked down to catch a 509 bus to Exhibition. But after 20 minutes of buses passing me without stopping because they were too full, I walked back and tapped back on).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sheppard-Yonge, Kennedy, and Scarbrough Centre stations should have PRESTO installed.

They all should. Looking at the recent TTC presentation, Bathurst station is next - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2014/August_19/Reports/PRESTO_Implementation_at_the_TTC_-_Status_Update.pdf

Though both Sheppard-Yonge and Scarborough Centre are part of TTC Wave 1, so hopefully sometime in 2015. Kennedy is oddly forgotten, despite being one of only 3 subway stations with a direct connection to a GO Train station (Kipling and Union were both done years ago).

• 2 weeks later...

I know there was some talk about it earlier and I'm wondering if it's been resolved, but can I use my first generation GTHA PRESTO card (with the text in the portrait configuration as opposed to the newer ones in the landscape configuration) in Ottawa? There's no mention of it on the PRESTO website.

I know there was some talk about it earlier and I'm wondering if it's been resolved, but can I use my first generation GTHA PRESTO card (with the text in the portrait configuration as opposed to the newer ones in the landscape configuration) in Ottawa? There's no mention of it on the PRESTO website.

I think you can. If I remember. It was shutdown to merge Ottawa about 6 months ago

Yes you can now.

• 1 month later...

Have any of you for the past couple weeks or so while trying to set up Requested Reload and/or to set up Automatic Autoload found that it can't be done online?
Specifically, it's not the proper amounts that isn't the issue, but when putting together the credit card information for instance, the page to me doesn't look like an official Presto page. To be specific, the word "Presto" isn't the regular logo we are accustomed to seeing. In addition, the fields that are supposed to be appearing to be filled out for Customer ID, Email Address, etc aren't appearing. The only fields that are properly showing are the ones for the credit card information. However, when submitting that information, an error message would say that all fields with the bold titles must be filled. Well, how can they be filled when they're not showing up?
I hope I've explained this the best I can. Anyone else have the same issues? This has been happening for roughly two weeks.

Have any of you for the past couple weeks or so while trying to set up Requested Reload and/or to set up Automatic Autoload found that it can't be done online?

Specifically, it's not the proper amounts that isn't the issue, but when putting together the credit card information for instance, the page to me doesn't look like an official Presto page. To be specific, the word "Presto" isn't the regular logo we are accustomed to seeing. In addition, the fields that are supposed to be appearing to be filled out for Customer ID, Email Address, etc aren't appearing. The only fields that are properly showing are the ones for the credit card information. However, when submitting that information, an error message would say that all fields with the bold titles must be filled. Well, how can they be filled when they're not showing up?

I hope I've explained this the best I can. Anyone else have the same issues? This has been happening for roughly two weeks.

I did an online reload last week and didn't have any problems. Try a different web browser.

Dan