PRESTO - GTA Discussion

ORION

What the hell are you talking about? It's not a transfer and it doesn't even display that when you make a transfer. When you make a transfer, your current balance is shown and the time remaining is shown. There's no "T".

It's an error with the readers, for whatever reason when you see that T, no money gets deducted and no time shows up on the reader either. I know of a few particular buses at MT that have the problem.

I rode two DRT buses yesterday using Presto; first one I tapped on normally and it deducted the co-fare as normal; second one I tapped and it displayed "$0.00T", which is only assumingly a transfer. This fare tap shows up online as a "Transfer Product Fare Payment".

For all we know, the issue could be that there is a software glitch with some MiWay (and possibly other) buses where it automatically assumes a transfer has been made and deducts no money. That way we're both right. This could also be why the T is showing up for the first time, it's a new software upgrade that added it to signal when you were transferring. This paragraph of course is just speculation, but I'm trying to come up with a logical possible argument that encompasses both our observations and arguments.

I have yet to see any Ts being displayed during transfers. It doesn't make sense that they would make that display though. As it is when you transfer, it shows your current balance and time left, it doesn't display anything other than that or anything that would lead you to believe money has been deducted.

There were no Ts displayed during my trips today, so I would rule out a "software upgrade" of any sort. However, the last time I rode a bus where it displayed a T, it was a transfer and it did show up on my account. Now it's been well over 3 months since I've had the T show up on my initial trip, however it has happened and it's always the same units that have this problem. 0860 and 1042 have been my most recent encounters with this problem and 0860 has had this problem for quite a few months now.

Next time I get the infamous "T" on my initial trip, I'll check my account online to see if any money has been deducted.

In conclusion, I think your logical answer is that you clearly jumped the gun on this question.

Back in September I rode a string of MiWay buses over the course of a few days where all that was displayed was "$0.00T" and my e-purse balance. These transactions never showed up on my account and no e-purse balance was ever deducted.

This was the same thing that was displayed on DRT yesterday, except the time left on my transfer was also displayed. The DRT transactions have also appeared on my account.

Back in September I rode a string of MiWay buses over the course of a few days where all that was displayed was "$0.00T" and my e-purse balance. These transactions never showed up on my account and no e-purse balance was ever deducted.

This was the same thing that was displayed on DRT yesterday, except the time left on my transfer was also displayed. The DRT transactions have also appeared on my account.

Same thing I mentioned... A "normal" transfer says how long you have left, while on ocasion you get this "T" which must be a glitch.

• 3 weeks later...

i thought the readers had the ability to emit a sound when a fare is accepted or rejected ?

There is, one for rejection, one accepted (adult), and one accepted (concession). It's pretty loud IMO. Plus the driver can always (or rather by choice) to tell you what has been displayed, both on the BFTP and the DCU.

There is, one for rejection, one accepted (adult), and one accepted (concession). It's pretty loud IMO. Plus the driver can always (or rather by choice) to tell you what has been displayed, both on the BFTP and the DCU.

Yes, that may be true with the audio indications of a fare being accepted or rejected. What I feel she's getting at are the indiivual machines that aren't on a bus, but at a GO station/terminal. I completely agree as, yes, normal-visioned people would have just as many problems to really see what they're fare is after it's deducted.

However, in my case, I may be visually impaired and I may be used to the system for what it's designed to do. But, I can't take for granted that maybe one day, my sight mgiht not be as reliable and I would want to know what the actual fare is rather then just the acceptable sound saying the tap on or off is good. With that in mind, it wouldn't hurt to have a voice saying, "Your fare or total is $xx.xx" and so on. I'm also wanting to take into account that normal-sighted people could benefit from that audio sound to tell them their fare. Heck, those people would see their sight deminish with age. Might as well.

However, in my case, I may be visually impaired and I may be used to the system for what it's designed to do. But, I can't take for granted that maybe one day, my sight mgiht not be as reliable and I would want to know what the actual fare is rather then just the acceptable sound saying the tap on or off is good. With that in mind, it wouldn't hurt to have a voice saying, "Your fare or total is $xx.xx" and so on. I'm also wanting to take into account that normal-sighted people could benefit from that audio sound to tell them their fare. Heck, those people would see their sight deminish with age. Might as well.
Audio would really slow it down, as someone else is invariably right behind you waiting to tap.

I can seldom catch what they actually say. And on the rare occasion it does flash something important, I never can read it. I don't think anyone who is visually impaired is missing out on anything. And if they are concerned about what it did other than beep, they can always access the website. (moving towards making the website more realtime would go a long way to solving this, and many other, issues).

With that in mind, it wouldn't hurt to have a voice saying, "Your fare or total is $xx.xx" and so on. I'm also wanting to take into account that normal-sighted people could benefit from that audio sound to tell them their fare. Heck, those people would see their sight deminish with age. Might as well.

While I can certain understand the problems poor vision can bring - I've been wearing hearing aids since childhood, so I understand sensory limits - voice announcements are hugely problematic. I don't want the thing tell everyone around me that my card has $200 on it if they want to steal it from me.

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the original motivation behind Presto was that GO's ticket cancellation machines were nearing the end of their lives... I predict a lot of cancelling machines will get replaced with Presto readers. (Union is slated for 40 more readers, but nothing on when).

Ottawa launches soon... are there any other transit systems considering adopting Presto?

are there any other transit systems considering adopting Presto?

GRT is starting a review of smartcards, with the assumption it will recommend Presto. I've heard things about Guelph and London too. The previous Metrolinx Presto update presentation mentioned some names I think.

GRT is starting a review of smartcards, with the assumption it will recommend Presto. I've heard things about Guelph and London too. The previous Metrolinx Presto update presentation mentioned some names I think.

I was under the impression that eventually, Presto would cover most Ontario agencies.

Audio would really slow it down, as someone else is invariably right behind you waiting to tap.

While I can certain understand the problems poor vision can bring - I've been wearing hearing aids since childhood, so I understand sensory limits - voice announcements are hugely problematic. I don't want the thing tell everyone around me that my card has $200 on it if they want to steal it from me.

Here's a thought: user can set an option on teh card that controls whether or not they want audio. If you have it off by default, most people won't turn it on, so you don't get teh slow-down effect. No-one has to have their balance spoken to the world, but those that need it could have it.

Here's a thought: user can set an option on teh card that controls whether or not they want audio. If you have it off by default, most people won't turn it on, so you don't get teh slow-down effect. No-one has to have their balance spoken to the world, but those that need it could have it.

I'm all for making PRESTO more accessible, but at what point do we draw the line? If you installed the audio cue that announces your balance, what measures do we put in place so that the readers can be found? Crosswalks have that beeping sound to let a visually impaired person know where the button is to activate a crossing.

On the matter of OC Transpo coming on board, will the cards be preprogrammed to default in English or French based on the cardholder's preference? I assume it wouldn't be that hard to have the readers display their (limited) messages French.

Definitely a possibility. Another is to have an audio jack on the device that can connect to a pair of headphones. GO's new TVMs use this approach, so if nothing else, in-station PRESTO machines should use the same approach for consistency.

Is there something in particular about the system that is not accessible?

I'm not even going to get started ranting on the Epic Failure of Presto & metrolinx for people who are blind/lowvision, just not going there, I'm going to behave... be the good timid blindie...

The readers don't have an audio ability is what I'm guessing she's getting at. Even if you have "normal" vision, it can be somewhat difficult to read the text.

There needs to be definitely different sounding beep/chirps on the on-board readers at lest, its just a stupid big box that gets in my way while getting on IMO, until they make a decent attempt at accessibility, I'm refusing to use it.. & already have gotten in a fight with GO about this..

Problem, NONE that I've tried have made a different sounding beep (for each type of transaction, there needs to be a different tone of beep or chirp), nor is the driver willing to take the time to read me my balance, its just asinine.

Yes, that may be true with the audio indications of a fare being accepted or rejected. What I feel she's getting at are the indiivual machines that aren't on a bus, but at a GO station/terminal. I completely agree as, yes, normal-visioned people would have just as many problems to really see what they're fare is after it's deducted.

"claps with massive enthusiasm & screams YES, someone FINALLY GETS IT!" "then dances in a circle, doing Stevie Wonder style yells of YEAH!!! all while stroking her blind cane lovingly"

I can seldom catch what they actually say. And on the rare occasion it does flash something important, I never can read it. I don't think anyone who is visually impaired is missing out on anything. And if they are concerned about what it did other than beep, they can always access the website. (moving towards making the website more realtime would go a long way to solving this, and many other, issues).

I'm sorry but your comments smack of rampant 'ableism' You don't get it, we want the SAME ability to do what you sighted people take for granted!

BTW, the website IS NOT ACCESSIBLE!

David I agree, but since the readers will never have refreshable braille displays & only 26% of people who are blind/lowvision actually read braille.. so yeah, Audio is best for now, but not loud, have it so that I can put my head near it to hear it? or a 3.5mm audio jack as most ATM's now have..

LOVE that thought!

Definitely a possibility. Another is to have an audio jack on the device that can connect to a pair of headphones. GO's new TVMs use this approach, so if nothing else, in-station PRESTO machines should use the same approach for consistency.

The TVM Audio jacks are not hooked up yet, on 90% of the machines..

I've noticed in the past little while the readers on GO buses seemed to have gotten more sensitive. I've had to take my Presto card out of my wallet to tap-on the last half-dozen times on the GO bus, yet I can still slap my wallet against any TTC turnstyle and have it deduct a fare.

I've noticed in the past little while the readers on GO buses seemed to have gotten more sensitive. I've had to take my Presto card out of my wallet to use the last half-dozen times on the GO bus, yet I can still slap my wallet against any TTC turnstyle and have it deduct a fare.

That's a bummer if that spreads across the system... a lot of people I see magically produce the card from nowhere, but it makes sense to me to just keep it in my wallet, and tap my wallet.