PRESTO - GTA Discussion

ORION

I sure hope Presto is compatible with Opus. Reason why I fear this is because OC Transpo plans on getting Presto while STO plans on getting OPUS, both systems have announced their intention to do this.

STO and OC Transpo have to be compatible because of the fact we are really two integrated systems who also share all fare media (except tickets). One of the intentions of the new smart card systems for STO and OC was to integrate them so they could match fare media.

• 1 month later...

I hope that there should be a credit card that combines Presto with a contactless feature (i.e. Visa PayWave or MasterCard PayPass).

In the UK, they already have one which combines Visa PayWave with the function of the Oyster Card (That's the name of the fare card used in the Transport For London system which can be used in the tube, DLR, buses, Tramlink, Overground (commuter train) and some commuter train networks surrounding Greater London).

It would require a significant investment in order to make a credit card that features the functionality of Presto or OPUS.

• 2 weeks later...
Presto readers are now on at Union and "waiting for connection".

It seems like it's taking so long for Presto to arrive, since the announcement last year. Still a year away for the HSR as the website lists Hamilton as Fall 2010. The site lists Oakville Transit (10 routes) and the Oakville GO Station as Fall 2009. Union Station as well. Does anyone know a date they will go live and be for sale?

It seems like it's taking so long for Presto to arrive, since the announcement last year. Still a year away for the HSR as the website lists Hamilton as Fall 2010. The site lists Oakville Transit (10 routes) and the Oakville GO Station as Fall 2009. Union Station as well. Does anyone know a date they will go live and be for sale?

Nope, and I don't expect them to meet the announced schedule either.

They wont. Its being delayed untill November 30th from what I was told last.

Confirmed. Though, while this is a delay from September to November, it still fits within the "fall 2009" terminology that had been publicly announced.

Also, it's worth noting that the implementation schedule for next year has had its sequencing modified. Instead of sweeping clockwise from Lakeshore West to Lakeshore East, the Stouffville line will now be the last line to go live with Presto.

http://www.prestocard.ca/en/when/default.aspx

Confirmed. Though, while this is a delay from September to November, it still fits within the "fall 2009" terminology that had been publicly announced.

Also, it's worth noting that the implementation schedule for next year has had its sequencing modified. Instead of sweeping clockwise from Lakeshore West to Lakeshore East, the Stouffville line will now be the last line to go live with Presto.

http://www.prestocard.ca/en/when/default.aspx

That makes sense, seeing as the Lakeshore line is essentially one line with an artificial/arbitrary boundary at Union. Why have half the line up and running with a long lag time before the other half catches up?

Question on TTC's interim rollout (I'm calling it interim because it's only a matter of time... :P):

Fall 2009: Union Station

Spring 2010: TTC (6 Subway Stations)

Fall 2010: Kipling and Islington Stations

Winter 2011: Don Mills, Downsview and Finch Stations

What are the six stations for Spring 2010? Are they the ones already listed or different ones? I know what I would like the answer to be...

Question on TTC's interim rollout (I'm calling it interim because it's only a matter of time... :P):

What are the six stations for Spring 2010? Are they the ones already listed or different ones? I know what I would like the answer to be...

My guess would be Yorkdale, York Mills, Sheppard as they have GO bus service. As for the other three I'd guess they'd be the most heavily-used ones downtown. What's the point of being able to get on the system using Presto in the morning and having to use another method to get home in the evening? The six stations could probably be the ones that see the most traffic heading back to Union based on surveys or analysis.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were stations that had connections with the GO trains, so Dundas West, Main Street, Kennedy and Leslie (Kipling is scheduled for Fall 2010, so that's left out). With two other stations left, they're probably York Mills, Yorkdale and Scarborough Centre which have GO Bus terminals (although that now makes 7...).

My guess would be Yorkdale, York Mills, Sheppard as they have GO bus service. As for the other three I'd guess they'd be the most heavily-used ones downtown. What's the point of being able to get on the system using Presto in the morning and having to use another method to get home in the evening? The six stations could probably be the ones that see the most traffic heading back to Union based on surveys or analysis.

Your arguement contains the one major flaw I've been thinking about.

Let's say in order to get to work I need to go to Museum station. I get off my GO train at Union, get on the subway via Presto and get off at Museum. For the trip home, Museum wouldn't have Presto yet so I'd have to use a different fare payment method to get on the subway.

Your arguement contains the one major flaw I've been thinking about.

Let's say in order to get to work I need to go to Museum station. I get off my GO train at Union, get on the subway via Presto and get off at Museum. For the trip home, Museum wouldn't have Presto yet so I'd have to use a different fare payment method to get on the subway.

So what would you rather they do, delay the implementation until such a time that every single vehicle has the equipment installed? At least this way they can stage the rollout to benefit the most people in the fewest steps - such as at the stations closest to the core and locations such as Oakville and Burlington.

Also remember that it is being installed as an overlay over the existing fare systems, not a replacement. If you are taking a trip that doesn't have the equipment installed at one end, than you don't need to use Presto.

Dan

Also remember that it is being installed as an overlay over the existing fare systems, not a replacement. If you are taking a trip that doesn't have the equipment installed at one end, than you don't need to use Presto.

True. For example, on GO, the current fare media will go away other than single fares, but it won't go away until the entire system has Presto available.

• 3 weeks later...

From Sept. 24 TTC meeting:

2010-2014 Capital Program and 10-Year Forecast, page 12

"5. GTA Farecard – funding in the amount of $140 million has been identified under the Canada Strategic Infrastructure Fund, however, it is currently estimated that this project will cost in the order of $417 million to implement for the existing transit system and vehicles."

Seems high -- perhaps it includes Spadina extension...?

From Sept. 24 TTC meeting:

2010-2014 Capital Program and 10-Year Forecast, page 12

"5. GTA Farecard – funding in the amount of $140 million has been identified under the Canada Strategic Infrastructure Fund, however, it is currently estimated that this project will cost in the order of $417 million to implement for the existing transit system and vehicles."

Seems high -- perhaps it includes Spadina extension...?

70+ stations, 2000 pieces of surface equipment.....it seems not unreasonable to me.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
I sure hope Presto is compatible with Opus. Reason why I fear this is because OC Transpo plans on getting Presto while STO plans on getting OPUS, both systems have announced their intention to do this.

STO and OC Transpo have to be compatible because of the fact we are really two integrated systems who also share all fare media (except tickets). One of the intentions of the new smart card systems for STO and OC was to integrate them so they could match fare media.

At least OPUS and Presto should sign some "reciprocal agreements" that will allow Presto cardholders use the OPUS system and OPUS cardholders use the Presto system. I wish there should be a credit card that combines the feature of Presto/OPUS with the contactless feature of Visa PayWave or MasterCard Paypass. That would be similar to the one in the UK: http://www.barclaycard-onepulse.co.uk/oysterCard.html

opinions on it folks?

At least OPUS and Presto should sign some "reciprocal agreements" that will allow Presto cardholders use the OPUS system and OPUS cardholders use the Presto system. I wish there should be a credit card that combines the feature of Presto/OPUS with the contactless feature of Visa PayWave or MasterCard Paypass. That would be similar to the one in the UK: http://www.barclaycard-onepulse.co.uk/oysterCard.html

opinions on it folks?

Why? You're just making it far more complex than it needs to be then.

For the 6 people in Canada who would actually benefit from such an idea, it's not worth the cost and headache.

Dan

Why? You're just making it far more complex than it needs to be then.

For the 6 people in Canada who would actually benefit from such an idea, it's not worth the cost and headache.

Dan

I agree: they have enough challenges without adding extra complication.

The OPUS/Presto agreement makes sense. If they're based on compatible technologies it would be convenient for people to be able to use their cards anywhere in Canada. Prestro is expanding beyond the GTA, OC Transpo will be using it, and GRT is considering it. The OC Transpo/STO link is especially important.

The credit card idea, I'm not sure I see so much benefit. If the Presto readers are capable of reading PayPass (or equivalent) it would be nice for the convenience to be able to use your credit card. But I'm not imaging your credit card being a full Presto card, just something one can do in a pinch. You'd probably be billed the single ride rate plus a convenience fee. A full Presto card introduces too many problems. Then you've got to transfer balances when you get a new credit card and so on. Organizations don't like having their cards tied to another business's cards which could be revoked for unrelated reasons.

I wonder if we see those PRESTO readers at Exhibition station (that's what one of the stations identified for the field trial).... The real test - using your Presto Card at Exhibition station during the CNE (or other special events) taking place....

Every station is getting Presto readers, so yes, you wlll be able to.

EDIT: However, Exhibition is NOT in this fall's field trial. The field trial consists of Oakville, Bronte, and Union ONLY. Exhibition will get its readers next spring along with the rest of Lakeshore West.

Only 500 commuters? "Field trials", the Presto site says currently. I'm planning to ask MTO for an update -- if I can find a spokesperson... -ed

-----

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/local/arti...e-soon-at-union

Presto fare card to go live soon at Union

TORSTAR NEWS SERVICE

October 22, 2009 5:41 a.m.

It will be Nov. 30 before the hoods come off the new Presto card readers that recently appeared at Union Station.

That’s when the next phase of the new regional fare-card system will launch for about 500 commuters who board GO Transit at Oakville and Bronte.

The reloadable Presto smart-card, which will eventually allow riders to use a single fare card across nine GTA transit systems, was tested in Mississauga more than a year ago. The expanded program gives riders the ability to reload the card online, by phone or in person.

Twenty-seven card readers will operate at Oak­ville, Bronte and Union stations. Readers will also be added to 10 Oakville buses and at two TTC turnstiles at Union.

Commuters who want to participate will be able to apply in coming weeks, when Presto representatives will be on GO platforms providing information.