Memories of 9/11

Orion VIII

On this fifth aniversary of that fateful day, I thought it would be an appropriate time and place to offer my condolences to all who died in the attacks, as well as all the unneccessary deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Everything that has happened since to do with security and hassling shows one thing. The terrorists have won.

On this fifth aniversary of that fateful day, I thought it would be an appropriate time and place to offer my condolences to all who died in the attacks, as well as all the unneccessary deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Everything that has happened since to do with security and hassling shows one thing. The terrorists have won.

I'm surprised, no one made a topic about this earlier.

May all of the victims rest in peace and may the terrorist burn in hell.

What has changed since then... lots, the skyline of New York has changed, the people of New York has changed, NEW YORK HAS CHANGED...forever, life in NYC will never be the same. :lol:

I stayed up all last night watching documentaries about 9/11, CBS had a very good one.

Discovery is Airing, the flight that fought back, at 9PM ET, which is based about flight 93 that crashed in Pennsylvania, it is very interesting, I watched it about 6 months back.

Guest M. Wright

Steven Harper is doing a speech right now live on CTV from Ottawa.

IT'S NOT OTTAWA IT'S PARLIAMENT!!! Arg I hate when the news casters call stuff like "Ottawa says they won't do this" because IT'S PARLIAMENT!!! Ottawa has nothing to do with that... :lol:

If they did have something to do with it then Bob would be busy with the feds.

But you are right, the Terrorist have won. They've achived what they wanted too. They've won.

As soon as I saw the new's coverage, my eyes were only on the TV all day. The people jumping from the building...thats horrifying...:lol:

The scene which the plane crashes into the building keeps replaying inside my brain after I saw that from the news..........it was really touching...........I kept asking myself "What does it feel like as a passenger on that plane?"...........Ever since the day WTC collasped, I kept thinking about "if I were on the 90th floor of WTC at that time............what would I do? Run down the stairs as quick as I could? Make a phone call to my family members and jump out of the window? Neither ways works, nor could I ever find myself a true answer, even till this day.

May the dead be resting in peace, may the god bless the world and create peace from today on, and continue on forever after.

As soon as I saw the new's coverage, my eyes were only on the TV all day. The people jumping from the building...thats horrifying...:lol:

Well, on my 2nd day of college, I was sitting on that 3 hour room doing drafting in my college from 8am. During the break, I went down to the college supply store as there was a radio where a girl screaming from what happen. I was like ok, maybe something was attacking like gun shots. As soon I was done, everyone was gathering on the TV to see WTF is going on, turns out that two planes struck the WTC, one was a Pentagon and one was at Pennsylvania field. My reaction was it's like watching a movie, but it's real! One of the person who was sitting at the lounge watching TV saw the whole thing live, he even told me that several were crying and can't bare anymore.

All television stations ran 2 days consecutive before going back to regularly schedule program. All planes were landed both the US and Canada, but I heard the people from US airlines have to land in Canada and everyone on board didn't know what was going on. Newspaper ran an emergency print about the terrorist with latest photos few hours later.

Transit system like GO and TTC, alot of business people went home early and service was close to dead after 5pm and onwards as many people were at home watching the news what happened. West Coast wasn't affect too much as many people were sleeping at that time or was getting up.

So, it was the darkest day ever for the US and Eastern area. It's still sad today, but NYC will regrow back their strength once the new Freedom Tower opens in 2011.

RIP for the victims who was affect from 9/11!

• Board Admin

A very horrific event, and condolences to all families affected. Panic and confusion must have been crazy for those affected directly by this incident. It was a terrible tragedy, but we have to move on.

As heard on a local radio station today, why would we always want to remember 9/11 as such a terrible day and be depressed on it year after year?

The same reason we remember wars / holocausts etc. Not to be depressed over it, but just as a grim reminder that these black events in history should teach us life lessons and that as a human race we should strive to become more united and work together to achieve common good. OK, I know that sounds corny, but I'm a tad tired, brain's fried. :lol:

• Board Admin

How can your brain be fried after dining at Gabbana? :lol:

Yes, we do remember those events, but not with as much detail and persistence as 9/11. Although I guess it will wear down over time, or it's because it hit really close to home.

I'm not saying that we should just forget about it, but it doesn't have to be on the headlines every year.

A very horrific event, and condolences to all families affected. Panic and confusion must have been crazy for those affected directly by this incident. It was a terrible tragedy, but we have to move on.

As heard on a local radio station today, why would we always want to remember 9/11 as such a terrible day and be depressed on it year after year?

It's not that we (as human beings) want to remember, but it's an event that we can never forget. Lots of events in the past..........Titanic, World War I & II, The genocide in Rwanda..........all these things are horrific and terrible..........neither do we want to remember, nor can we ever forget. Of course, looking back to these dark events in history ensure we never repeat these mistakes again..........it's ok to make a mistake........nobody's perfect, but it's not ok to repeat the same mistake you've made.

Dave

PS: Sorry folks, I've typed this message after finishing my Socials Studies homework :lol:

IT'S NOT OTTAWA IT'S PARLIAMENT!!! Arg I hate when the news casters call stuff like "Ottawa says they won't do this" because IT'S PARLIAMENT!!! Ottawa has nothing to do with that... :lol:

If they did have something to do with it then Bob would be busy with the feds.

But you are right, the Terrorist have won. They've achived what they wanted too. They've won.

They call it Ottawa because we are where Parliament is. So, technically, it IS Ottawa, because that's where the politicians are. Parliament is in Ottawa, they make the desicions affecting Canadians, therefore, it is Ottawa. I can still rememebr where I was on Sept. 11, and I didn't believe when my friend told me a plane had crashed into the WTC, and then I turned on the news, and, sure enough, there was a smouldering building, and then I saw the second plane hit the building. May the dead rest in peace.

OC 4439

Guest M. Wright

They call it Ottawa because we are where Parliament is. So, technically, it IS Ottawa, because that's where the politicians are. Parliament is in Ottawa, they make the desicions affecting Canadians, therefore, it is Ottawa. I can still rememebr where I was on Sept. 11, and I didn't believe when my friend told me a plane had crashed into the WTC, and then I turned on the news, and, sure enough, there was a smouldering building, and then I saw the second plane hit the building. May the dead rest in peace.

OC 4439

Yeah but still, people out west when I went on a trip across canada thought that I was one of the "Evil" politions when I told them I was from Ottawa.

On September 11th I was allowed to go home if I wanted too at lunch (I didn't know why so I just went home anyway) and I watched with my mother the news story unfolding from 12:00 PM till dinner. The days after that where there was no Air Traffic was great because usually I have planes flying over my house. Well really it was odd because there was no planes...

Man the days after 9/11 were weird as there was nothing in the sky...

September 13 and 14 were very loud days because I had gotten so used to living under the flightpath, and after there had been no planes for two days.

I was in my fifth day of grade five. The other teacher had been on the internet and had found out about the tragedy. I think I was more suprised by the fact she had read the news than planes had hit buildings! I only got to watch tower 7 fall at 5:30 that evening.

I was at home. It was my day off, and I was lounging around in bed, awake but luxuriating in the fact I did not need to get up yet. The phone rang. My son (still living at home then) answered the phone. It was my mom telling him there was another world war starting. (She survived WWII, so this event triggered many flashbacks for her). He raced to turn on the television, stared in horror, and then came to my room to get me where we both watched the events unfold (and countless replays) over and over again. It seemed so surreal, like something out of a bad dream, like it wasn't really happening.

September 13 and 14 were very loud days because I had gotten so used to living under the flightpath, and after there had been no planes for two days.

I was in my fifth day of grade five. The other teacher had been on the internet and had found out about the tragedy. I think I was more suprised by the fact she had read the news than planes had hit buildings! I only got to watch tower 7 fall at 5:30 that evening.

Yeah same here, I live under a holding pattern, although, planes don't get that low but sure enough, they're still loud.

I feel the events of 9/11 will be remembered by our generation as much as when our elders saw John F. Kennedy get assassinated on Nov. 22nd 1963. A lot of "Do you remember where you were?", and stuff like that. It is a memory that will be seared into my brain forever.

I first heard of what happened at the WTC, back then I was working at McD's at Longueuil metro and our first assistant manager told us that two planes struck the towers. At first we didn't believe him, we thought he was making all this up. We had a TV in our break room so a couple of us alternated going to see what was going on. I was horrified to see the towers collapse. And I remember getting home and my ex having the TV on TVA and it was all that was on that day.

The next day, I went and bought as many newspapers as I could. I think I got "Le Journal de Montréal", "La Presse", "The Gazette" and the "Globe and Mail". And later that month, I bought a special special edition of LIFE magazine. I still have them to this day.

Saturday we saw "Flight 93" on A&E, last night we were watching ABC where we saw a movie depicting the events leading to 9/11 and the presidential address.

I hope one day the prepertrators will be found and punished. And may the fallen heroes of that fateful day rest in peace.

Yeah but still, people out west when I went on a trip across canada thought that I was one of the "Evil" politions when I told them I was from Ottawa.

Its Ottawa as in the same way the Americans talk about Washington.

I doubt it was the fact that you were from Ottawa that made them look at you like that, its more likely the fact that you are from the rich east!

My memory of 9/11/01 is on the morning, I was watching TV and flipping through the channels when I passed CNN and it said "Breaking news: Plane crashes into World Trade Centre tower"

I thought, "Well, it finally happened..." The reasoning behind what I was thinking was of an incident that happened almost 20 years earlier. A plane was flying from Argentina to NYC and was lost in the fog and flying low and towards the WTC. The pilots didn't understand English well, but they were able to understand one important command: "Turn right immediately".

I didn't see the second plane hit the second tower live, but saw the replay a few minutes later. I thought that this was the one in 1000000000+ that something like that would happen. When I left for school, I heard about a third plane. By then, I knew at least one of the WTC planes was hijacked. I was thinking "What's going on here?!?"

Throughout the day, I heard reports that confused me. I had my doubts when I heard the WTC had collapsed until I got home.

Guest M. Wright

I feel the events of 9/11 will be remembered by our generation as much as when our elders saw John F. Kennedy get assassinated on Nov. 22nd 1963. A lot of "Do you remember where you were?", and stuff like that. It is a memory that will be seared into my brain forever.

I first heard of what happened at the WTC, back then I was working at McD's at Longueuil metro and our first assistant manager told us that two planes struck the towers. At first we didn't believe him, we thought he was making all this up. We had a TV in our break room so a couple of us alternated going to see what was going on. I was horrified to see the towers collapse. And I remember getting home and my ex having the TV on TVA and it was all that was on that day.

The next day, I went and bought as many newspapers as I could. I think I got "Le Journal de Montréal", "La Presse", "The Gazette" and the "Globe and Mail". And later that month, I bought a special special edition of LIFE magazine. I still have them to this day.

Saturday we saw "Flight 93" on A&E, last night we were watching ABC where we saw a movie depicting the events leading to 9/11 and the presidential address.

I hope one day the prepertrators will be found and punished. And may the fallen heroes of that fateful day rest in peace.

Seems like everyone thought they didn't belive the person at first untill they turned on the TV.

Just like my Mother didn't belive my dad when he broke the news to her.