AC Transit

BCT-3122-D800-10240

8 hours ago, Cimon8000 said:

Thank you, i am wondering why they are not ordering more double deckers, but MCI D45CRT LE instead?  Do they have clearance issue operating the double deckers?  Thank you.

You're welcome for the last response.

The double deckers have some clearance issues in the tunnels that connect Oakland with Alameda because they are very low in height, and there would be some clearance issues with the double deckers going up very steep hills on some streets in East Oakland and in Berkeley.

The MCI D45CRT LE motor coaches are intended to replace the current MCI D4500s in service and would add on to the fleet with the exisiting 6100 Series Gilligs in service. The order is supposed to be up to 45 Motor Coaches but currently there is funding for only 36 of them (its with a joint contract with 2 other transit agencies, which I have forgotten the name of those agencies involved in the contract.)

• Like 2

On 2/10/2021 at 11:30 PM, Rob's Transport Hub said:

You're welcome for the last response.

The double deckers have some clearance issues in the tunnels that connect Oakland with Alameda because they are very low in height, and there would be some clearance issues with the double deckers going up very steep hills on some streets in East Oakland and in Berkeley.

The MCI D45CRT LE motor coaches are intended to replace the current MCI D4500s in service and would add on to the fleet with the exisiting 6100 Series Gilligs in service. The order is supposed to be up to 45 Motor Coaches but currently there is funding for only 36 of them (its with a joint contract with 2 other transit agencies, which I have forgotten the name of those agencies involved in the contract.)

Thank you again for your reply.  Is that the Posey Tube and Webster Street Tube that connects downtown Oakland with Alameda?  I checked the google map for their clearance that they should be more than good enough to fit the deckers at 13' 6".  I agree it might be something to do with the tree issues along the route which is a common issues for the deckers to deal with...........

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

ICYMI: 

Service changes were made on August 9th 

Here are some notable ones:

• Line 76: Extended to Richmond Pkwy Transit Center
  • Line 78: Launching as a Pilot program to operate between Fruitvale BART & The Alameda Ferry Terminal
  • Transbay: Lines E, NX3, & OX have been restored.
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 12:08 PM, Cimon8000 said:

Thank you, i am wondering why they are not ordering more double deckers, but MCI D45CRT LE instead?  Do they have clearance issue operating the double deckers?  Thank you.

am coming to this late.... the MCI D45CRT is a beautiful bus and the prototype met with good reviews when it operated over the system in 2017. mgmt also liked it. note that criteria for selection of certain fleet types can involve where mgmt last came from. if from a property that operated DDs, then DDs are preferred. the MCI will have less 'tree trimming' issues than the DD. the clearance issues aren't related to the Posey Tube. it clears fine (though if you're on the upper deck in the front seats, you'll want to duck. the issue is TREES! and also sometimes, do the neighborhoods they're operating in object to the bus itself. some don't want a big DD on their streets. sometimes it comes to that.

also, to answer the question on where to see DDs operating, they're all at the Richmond division, so will be operating routes originating from there. currently they're mostly operating on the Owl 700 series routes. once service is restored, they're likely to also be seen on school trippers, as trippers are usually associated with some bridge runs.

2 hours ago, gmcfan949 said:

am coming to this late.... the MCI D45CRT is a beautiful bus and the prototype met with good reviews when it operated over the system in 2017. mgmt also liked it. note that criteria for selection of certain fleet types can involve where mgmt last came from. if from a property that operated DDs, then DDs are preferred. the MCI will have less 'tree trimming' issues than the DD. the clearance issues aren't related to the Posey Tube. it clears fine (though if you're on the upper deck in the front seats, you'll want to duck. the issue is TREES! and also sometimes, do the neighborhoods they're operating in object to the bus itself. some don't want a big DD on their streets. sometimes it comes to that.

also, to answer the question on where to see DDs operating, they're all at the Richmond division, so will be operating routes originating from there. currently they're mostly operating on the Owl 700 series routes. once service is restored, they're likely to also be seen on school trippers, as trippers are usually associated with some bridge runs.

Funny that the selection literally is New Flyer vs. New Flyer (AD) vs. New Flyer (MCI).

Hope that Gillig rep has some game, or they could get left in the dust with ACT.

Does anyone know, how has ACT's experiences with both Gillig and New Flyer been? Seems like they are sticking to their original plan (Gillig 40' (outside of the green buses); New Flyer everything else). Seeing as they don't really spec anything too special with any of their buses (hill holder, electronic dashboard, vapor controls, etc.) I can't imagine that there are any specific features that operators would particularly love one over the other.

On 9/14/2021 at 7:03 PM, GojiMet86 said:

I'm looking at the Van Hool A300L FC section. FC4 to FC16 are 2010 units, but it says FC13 was bought in 2015.

So did AC Transit just skip over the number 13 originally or something?

The FC13 question was answered some time ago. Scroll thru past posts. It was the same vintage as the rest of them, just acquired later. When hours get maxxed, they’re retired. You’ll note a couple are already off the roster. 

On 9/9/2021 at 12:33 PM, Jared Kam said:

Funny that the selection literally is New Flyer vs. New Flyer (AD) vs. New Flyer (MCI).

Hope that Gillig rep has some game, or they could get left in the dust with ACT.

Does anyone know, how has ACT's experiences with both Gillig and New Flyer been? Seems like they are sticking to their original plan (Gillig 40' (outside of the green buses); New Flyer everything else). Seeing as they don't really spec anything too special with any of their buses (hill holder, electronic dashboard, vapor controls, etc.) I can't imagine that there are any specific features that operators would particularly love one over the other.

Flyer actually feels the pinch in AC buying Gilligs. I think they’re mad they couldn’t buy Gillig, too. They also know that they’re out of the game for 40’. Flyer keeps thinking Gillig is developing an artic. Gillig keeps denying it. 

the Gillig battery buses are problematic and the flyer artic fuel cell spends more time in the yrd. 

as for maint issues—it’s about even. Structurally the Gilligs have issues due to their Erector set design. When they’re wrecked, more framing structure is damaged. The roof material is a roll of fibreglas, not sheet metal. Flyer makes tiny cosmetic changes so buses built in different years don’t have interchangeable parts even tho they look the same. 

I see the alt fuels being a bigger issue than the mfg. very expensive boutique components made by small outfits that go obsolete/out of business quickly. I am glad Flyer is in this aspect of the game so Protera and BYD is out of the picture. But basically Flyer’s octopus of acquiring mfgs is a bit scary. And people thought National City Lines was bad… it’s like Flyer is unhappy with not having 100% of the market share.