"Televiewer" Upgrades have Finally Arrived for GRT

Josh

Hey Everyone,

So from what I can see, there is 4 locations in the Charles St. Terminal where these devices are being installed, 5 if they put one by the greyhound area again... They are NEC 32" Widescreen TV's stacked vertically, and in behind there is a LAN connection which I presume hooks into a computer which in turn displays on the TV. This is all enclosed in a steel/plexiglass, tamperproof Casing. They Devices have been needed for a long time, seeing as how the old "Televiewer" systems we're from the 1980's, always locked up, and we're so big that if they we're to fall on someone, i would guess it would cause death. :P anyways I got a couple shots on my cellphone for you all, may not be the best but at least you can see whats goin on in GRT land, since there doesnt seem to be much updates anymore for our area (Nice Job John, you idiot :P )

Now as for current locations, they are as follows:

• Between Platform C/D on the 1st Floor
  • Between Platform E/F on the 1st Floor
  • Between Platforms C/D & E/F on the Overhead Walkway on the Second Floor
  • In The Main Terminal Building Above the Security Office and Ticket office on the 2nd Floor (not installed Yet! Area prepped though)

Now if that sounded as confusing to you as it was to me writing it, i even drew a little map, and the numbers just tell you what floor it is on.

0.bmp

Thanks for looking and EnJOY! :P

P.S. If I screwed up on anything, it's cause i'm trying to get used to this new CPTDB, which has WAYY too many USELESS bells and whistles... What Happened to the simpler days :(

0619071030.jpg

0619071031.jpg

0619071030a.jpg

0619071031.JPG

One screen has been installed at Ainslie Street today , Maybe Cambridge will even get Telerider when the new system is in place LOL

Actually telerider in Cambridge is one of the goals of this upgrade, the televiewer/telerider system was maxed out (and ancient by today's standards), GRT also ran out of telephone numbers for telerider so expansion of telerider to all but a VERY small part of Cambridge was out of the question, the new system should provided Cambridge with all the bells and whistles K-W has.

I didn't know that Cambridge didn't have TeleRider. Will the new system be one with only one telephone number, and then you input the stop number, like for Mississauga Transit?

Presumably Yes

They installed another screen above platforms C/D At the top of the elevator, the only one installed in the location of an old screen, and there is a name to them as they were on today! It's call something like GoEasy or some crap like that, and it said coming soon (No Times Yet), and it had up to date weather, and a spot for Business ads at the bottom. looks pretty neat :)

I heard today from some guy in a GRT uniform at the bus station that the main server for our GPS & "GoEasy or some crap like that" Screens is down in the USA!! And that Telerider is indeed coming to Cambridge with the upgrades.

I heard today from some guy in a GRT uniform at the bus station that the main server for our GPS & "GoEasy or some crap like that" Screens is down in the USA!! And that Telerider is indeed coming to Cambridge with the upgrades.

Kinda how RIM's server for all Blackberry servics in Canada and the USA is in Waterloo, doesn't surprise me.

Kinda how RIM's server for all Blackberry servics in Canada and the USA is in Waterloo, doesn't surprise me.

Not surprising, but not so good either. We (=GRT) can't really do anything if the whole system goes down! Kind of like RIM's failure earlier this year.

Not surprising, but not so good either. We (=GRT) can't really do anything if the whole system goes down! Kind of like RIM's failure earlier this year.

On the other hand the loss of the Telerider/Televiewer system for any period of time isn't going to result in huge economic losses and disruptions to major businesses either.

On the other hand the loss of the Telerider/Televiewer system for any period of time isn't going to result in huge economic losses and disruptions to major businesses either.

I suppose it will just be a little inconvenient. Hopefully they aren't about to stop printing paper schedules anyway.

• 3 years later...