CTB003 (Orion V, the only high floor bus left in the active fleet) might be retiring soon due to mechanical problems and has been parked outside for weeks now. Its usual run, Charles Spencer/St. Joseph High Schools Special, has been replaced by the New Flyers.

CTB006 (first batch of New Flyer D40LF) has been parked outside next to CTB003. It might be in the same situation.

Up05.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Grande Prairie retired 2 low floors...both had cracked frames and both were from the first and second batch of buses...Bus 14 i believe and one other one.

• Thanks 1

Electronic fare boxes are now in service. Paper monthly passes and ride tickets have been replaced by electronic "Superpass". Transfers are issued by the machine and are scanned electronically.

Two BYD electric buses have also arrived and are being inspected.

001.jpg

Any idea when the BYD's might enter service? I'm thinking of doing a trip to Grande Prairie on Greyhound before they shut down, so, I'm hoping the BYD's are in service before the end of October!

20 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Any idea when the BYD's might enter service? I'm thinking of doing a trip to Grande Prairie on Greyhound before they shut down, so, I'm hoping the BYD's are in service before the end of October!

They haven't been wrapped yet and the drivers are still to be trained so I doubt they would be in service soon. When the Vicinity's showed up it took a few months to get them ready, from wrapping them to installing GPS, fare boxes, and stop announcement system.

When in October are you planning on coming up?

Talking about Vicinity's, here is a pic in case you haven't seen it in GP.

002.jpg

On 1/22/2018 at 3:45 PM, roeco said:

Grande Prairie retired 2 low floors...both had cracked frames and both were from the first and second batch of buses...Bus 14 i believe and one other one.

I checked the roster today. Looks like CTB006 and 007 might have retired. The rest were in service at some point in the past week or being repaired.

On 9/16/2018 at 1:07 AM, Bustizen said:

They haven't been wrapped yet and the drivers are still to be trained so I doubt they would be in service soon. When the Vicinity's showed up it took a few months to get them ready, from wrapping them to installing GPS, fare boxes, and stop announcement system.

When in October are you planning on coming up?

Talking about Vicinity's, here is a pic in case you haven't seen it in GP.

002.jpg

I checked the roster today. Looks like CTB006 and 007 might have retired. The rest were in service at some point in the past week or being repaired.

It will probably be sometime after Thanksgiving when I get up there. I suspect that might still be too early to catch the BYD's.

On 9/19/2018 at 8:05 PM, M. Parsons said:

It will probably be sometime after Thanksgiving when I get up there. I suspect that might still be too early to catch the BYD's.

No words on the BYD's yet. Probably have a better idea once drivers training is scheduled. These K7M's do look different from the St Albert's K9. Seat layout and wheelchair ramp placement are also quite unique in GP transit fleet.

For the active fleet, weekday AM and PM peak hours would be best time to see the most in action. Fifteen buses are on the road during those times including regular services, peak services, school routes, and an extra bus. Only 6 for the rest of the day and weekends.

Since bus assignment varies daily, best place to check roster of the day would be on GP transit's Where's My Ride page if you are looking for particular units.

County of Grande Prairie regional bus service has started on Dec 5 as a 2-year pilot project. Currently in phase 1, the City of Grande Prairie has been contracted to provide the service to connect City of Grande Prairie and Hamlet of Clairmont with eight round trips per weekday (route 90) with two trips extended to town of Sexsmith (route 91).

Phase 2 will start on February 4, 2019 with an additional bus, providing service to towns of Beaverlodge and Wembley weekdays, and also village of Hythe on Wednesdays.

A new 30' Grande West Vicinity with County  Connector livery, CTB031, has arrived but yet to be seen in service. Details and a promotional video of the service can be found on the County website .

I'll try to ride and grab some pics when I'm back in the area.

01.thumb.jpg.efffd296fe9654f41069ef7874c9244c.jpg02.thumb.jpg.a9ff5db02d73f41f323cd10fb714de85.jpg03.thumb.jpg.e5573954a63a40e889f483784417d16f.jpg

Still haven't seen the "official" County Connector Vicinity (CTB031) in service yet, although I wouldn't be surprised it will be part of phase 2 of the service starting in February. So far it has been GP transit's CTB026, 027, and 028 on the route.

Had a closer look at 031 and there are subtle differences from 025-028:

- Vicinity branding at front, rear, curb-side by front door, and above driver's seat inside

- 3-point driver seat belt instead of 2-point

- Luminator LED destination MCU in stead of Axion (although Axion is part of Luminator Group)

- Slightly updated roof vents/advertising space

- Slim driver-side mirror with no mirror-mounted marker light or visible electrical cable. Not sure if it still has power mirrors on driver side. Curb-side mirror looks the same as other GP units. Update: no power mirror control on driver side

- Ad blu/DEF trap door on rear engine door has been moved. Now it's beside rear curb side door

- Appears to have different exhaust system components (looked through side grilles)

- HARD PLASTIC SEATS!!! (like those on ETS 7000's, could be a long hash ride on the highway)

I do hope the interior light setup will be updated. On 025-028, it is either too dark at night (only road-side interior lights on) or too bright for the driver (road-side and curb-side interior lights are on, as well as the front door light across from driver)

February 13, 2019 - 3:38pm
BUS%201.jpg?itok=aHs31VfF

We'll soon see electric transit buses on the streets of Grande Prairie.

Today city councilors took a ride on the city's first electric bus.

Manager of Transit Services Steve Harvard says the city currently owns two electric buses, which will begin their regular service in the coming weeks.

“We’re expecting the first bus to be on the road next week, then the second one shortly after that. The second one is currently just getting the decals put on it,” says Harvard. “This bus should last 15 to 18 years, and the battery itself is actually designed to have a longer lifespan.”

Harvard notes the city plans to acquire up to three more busses and the cost of each is about $640-thousand. The Alberta Government is paying for two-thirds of the cost of all the electric busses.

How soon the city sees the three other buses depends on how long manufacturing takes, but Harvard predicts it’ll be about six months.

In the spring, solar panels are going to be installed at the service centre which will be used to charge the buses.

Harvard explains the new buses can operate in extremely cold weather, but for a reduced amount of time.

“Temperatures have not made any significant difference. It does reduce the amount of time that the bus can be on the road because a lot of the systems are working. The heater is working a lot more, etc. – but in terms of functionality, they haven’t experienced any issues, any breakdowns or whatever because of the weather.”

Harvard adds the motivation for buying electric buses was reducing emissions and making transit more efficient and cost-effective. He says although the front-end cost for these buses is higher, the operating costs significantly make up for it. 

courtesy everythinggp.com

• Like 1