Grande Prairie

Well, just got some news from some Ontario friends who recently visited the Prairies including Alberta.

Grand Prairie Transit has 4 New Flyer D35's and an Ex-Milwaukee Orion V. Apparently, there are 4 D40LF's that are to be delivered this year and 4 more next year, so these D35's may be gone very soon. Not sure if the new buses will be LFR or just LF styled units.

Well, just got some news from some Ontario friends who recently visited the Prairies including Alberta.

Grand Prairie Transit has 4 New Flyer D35's and an Ex-Milwaukee Orion V. Apparently, there are 4 D40LF's that are to be delivered this year and 4 more next year, so these D35's may be gone very soon. Not sure if the new buses will be LFR or just LF styled units.

Sounds like a roadtrip to me!

Jame Roach

busfreak99

Big changes, they must have got those D35 sometimes 2-3 years ago due to GM retiring. And now they are going for Axion sign.

The Ex-Milwaukee Orion 5 is a emergency spare bus, it rarely sees service. 809 a original Grande Prairie Orion V is now running mainly on a school special. Normally one of the D35's are out all day on Route 5, while another one is used during the rush hours on Route 5. All four routes that run out of Downtown GP are low floor.

The Ex-Milwaukee Orion 5 is a emergency spare bus, it rarely sees service. 809 a original Grande Prairie Orion V is now running mainly on a school special. Normally one of the D35's are out all day on Route 5, while another one is used during the rush hours on Route 5. All four routes that run out of Downtown GP are low floor.

809 was doing a school run when I was there last... back in 2002. Rode it, but never got pics. The Orion I seemed to be in peak hour only service.

809 was doing a school run when I was there last... back in 2002. Rode it, but never got pics. The Orion I seemed to be in peak hour only service.

I totally forgot about there lone Orion I ! It was in the shop when we visited GP, I'm not sure if it still gets out in regular peak service.

• 1 year later...

I wonder if anything is new in Grand Prairie since last August when I visited there... Anyone heading up there soon? I probably won't be able to for a couple of years right now.

Anyways, I am not sure if this has been mentioned on this board before, but apparently Grand Prairie Transit tested out Edmonton Transit 1993 NFI D40LF #241 before purchasing some of their own. Their first D40LF's were delivered in 1995 as numbers 810-813. Here is a shot of ETS #241 working route 1 that I found on the Grand Prairie Transit website.

I could not get the link to work, so I have attached the image of 241 to this post:

120_edmbus.jpg

• 2 months later...

The 4 New D40LFR buses that are on order by GP Transit are supposed to start arriving next week. Two are expected on Monday with two more the week after.

Most of Grand Prairie's New Flyer buses have some sort of advertising on them. If you did not know their fleet colors were white with green and blue stripes, it would be tough to figure out with all of the advertising that their buses have.

Bus 803 (Orion V, ex-Milwaukee) is still out back at the garage. Bus 808 (Orion 1) is still in the fleet but will probably be one of the buses retired when the D40LFR buses arrive.

Kevin

• 2 months later...

I was up in Grande Prairie last week and saw 2 D35's running during the PM peak, one was 806 and I don't remember the other, but it should be either 817 or 818 since it looked different than 806. So the D35's are still alive. Was only in town for less than half an hour, so didn't really get a chance to scout out any other buses.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Four new buses may be on the way

Herald-Tribune staff

Posted 1 day ago

City council will be soon be asked to approve the purchase of four new buses for the GP Transit fleet. The public works committee this week cleared the $1.6 million plan to go to council.

Two of the new buses will replace older units in the fleet and two will be additional buses to help expand service.

Earlier this month, the city posted its 2008-2013 Transit Master Plan on its website. The plan calls for dramatic increases in spending on transit. The net operating cost for transit this year is listed at $2.4 million and is proposed to rise to $4.3 million by 2013. That figure, however, will have to be approved at future budget debates. The per-capita cost for transit is scheduled to rise to $76 per resident from $46.24 this year.

The rise in costs is largely because of increased service called for in the plan. Total hours of service will rise to 73,000 in 2013 from the current 48,720 and ridership will increase to 1.1 million from 647,000 this year

• 9 months later...

Grande Prairie transit's fleet has gone from GMC fishbowls to A mix of Orion and New Flyer buses at present. Most buses are low floors, however their are still about 6 high floor buses still in the fleet. Along with 13 low floors and 4 new low floors just received. The Fleet consists of the following

803- 1991 Orion 5.501. Acquired in 2004,this bus has not seen alot of active service in the past 3 years,I believe it is now parked and out of service.

805-806.1988 New Flyer D35. Acquired in 2004 In Active service

808- 1990 Orion. 1.507 This bus has not been seen in quite some time and I believe it may be retired due to body corrosion issues.

809-1992 Orion 5.501- In Active Service. Usually does School Special trips for the Catholic High School when school is in and used for a backup at other times

810-813.1995 NFI D40LF In Active service

814-816 1998 NFI D40LF IN Active service

817-818.1988 NFI D35.In active service

819-820.2006 NFI D35.In active service

821-824.2009 NFI D40LF.In Active Service

825-828.2010 NFI D40LF. New buses only arrived Summer 2010.

810-813 are distinguished apart from their later sisters as having back windows which 814-816 did not.

819-820 are a little different also..just slightly from the earlier series of DF 40's

821-24 all have bike racks mounted on the front of them as will 825-28 when they come into service

ALL BUSES HAVE LED SIGNS ON FRONT AND SIDES!

Grande Prairie has a total of 7 routes. and one is a peak hour only route, all services run hourly during non peak and weekends, and half hour during peak the only Exception to this is Route 4 serving Gateway Power Centre and College which runs every 1/2 hr.

New Routes are in the development and service hrs are 6:15am-10:15pm Mon to Fri, buses start at 8:45 am on Sat til 10:15 and sun from 9:15-4:15.

Grande Prairie transit's fleet has gone from GMC fishbowls to A mix of Orion and New Flyer buses at present. Most buses are low floors, however their are still about 6 high floor buses still in the fleet. Along with 13 low floors and 4 new low floors just received. The Fleet consists of the following

803- 1991 Orion 5.501. Acquired in 2004,this bus has not seen alot of active service in the past 3 years,I believe it is now parked and out of service.

808- 1990 Orion. 1.507 This bus has not been seen in quite some time and I believe it may be retired due to body corrosion issues.

809-1992 Orion 5.501- In Active Service. Usually does School Special trips for the Catholic High School when school is in and used for a backup at other times

810-813 are distinguished apart from their later sisters as having back windows which 814-816 did not.

819-820 are a little different also..just slightly from the earlier series of DF 40's

821-24 all have bike racks mounted on the front of them as will 825-28 when they come into service

Grande Prairie has a total of 7 routes. and one is a peak hour only route, all services run hourly during non peak and weekends, and half hour during peak the only Exception to this is Route 4 serving Gateway Power Centre and College which runs every 1/2 hr.

New Routes are in the development and service hrs are 6:15am-10:15pm Mon to Fri, buses start at 8:45 am on Sat til 10:15 and sun from 9:15-4:15.

Hmmm... Where did you get this info from? 819 and 820 are not D35's from 2006. They were actually D40LF's originally built for Winnipeg Transit along with 18 units that went to Calgary. Also, the last I heard was that 821-824 were LFR's and not LF's. Interesting to hear that 825-828 have arrived.

Here is a list for GP Transit on the WIKI which will need updating: http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=G...Prairie_Transit .

Also, I believe we already have a thread for Grand Prairie Transit.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm... Where did you get this info from? 819 and 820 are not D35's from 2006. They were actually D40LF's originally built for Winnipeg Transit along with 18 units that went to Calgary. Also, the last I heard was that 821-824 were LFR's and not LF's. Interesting to hear that 825-828 have arrived.

Here is a list for GP Transit on the WIKI which will need updating: http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=G...Prairie_Transit .

Also, I believe we already have a thread for Grand Prairie Transit.

I actually got it off a website...just trying to remember where though. That would explain why 819-820 look very much different from the rest of the low floor fleet. Yes 825-828 arrived in July, last I heard they were still white, however one of the senior drivers said they hope to have them in service by Sept.

I actually got it off a website...just trying to remember where though. That would explain why 819-820 look very much different from the rest of the low floor fleet. Yes 825-828 arrived in July, last I heard they were still white, however one of the senior drivers said they hope to have them in service by Sept.

oops your're right i just typed the info wrong, must have been reading it wrong..:P

825-829 are supposed to be in service from what I've heard in the Fall, but who knows. GP Transit even the drivers dont know half the time til the week before if theyre lucky

oops your're right i just typed the info wrong, must have been reading it wrong..:P

825-829 are supposed to be in service from what I've heard in the Fall, but who knows. GP Transit even the drivers dont know half the time til the week before if theyre lucky

oops..darn i meant 825-828..No 829..sorry

• 2 months later...
I was just up there... I didn't see anything higher than 824 on the road, but that doesn't mean much. I'm hoping work sends me up there for another trip this coming week and I might get some time to go out and do some fanning.

825-828 are on the road have been since about early-mid Sept. 803 Is now at the Ritchie Bros Auction sale yard north of Grande Prairie. I just heard that they are keeping 805 and 806 as extra buses, and instead of just sitting they are going to have each of them one day per week on Route 6B that is the Pinnacle/Richmond Industrial that operates Mon-Fri peak hrs only. I'm not sure on the status of 817-818, I believe they are seeing a little more active service than 805-806. And as usual 809 is doing the School Specials for St.Joe's High School.I'm not sure on 808 status, she is retired I know that, but as far as I know she is still Parked at the tranit garage.

Sounds vaguely familliar... :P :P

Gp Transit likes to wrap their buses...Some wraps are very annoying...you cant see out the windows very well sometimes. 809 is wrapped for Subway and its neat profile makes it look kinda funny. 809 is apparently a rare Orion and I think its the only one of its kind in Alberta, It runs the St.Joe's Catholic High special for the kids in the am and pm on school days and is used as a spare weekends and school holidays.

Also the 6 Pinnacle/Westpointe and 6 shoppers Special run hourly service too, these are both new routes, only in service for a year.

• 1 month later...
Gp Transit likes to wrap their buses...Some wraps are very annoying...you cant see out the windows very well sometimes. 809 is wrapped for Subway and its neat profile makes it look kinda funny. 809 is apparently a rare Orion and I think its the only one of its kind in Alberta, It runs the St.Joe's Catholic High special for the kids in the am and pm on school days and is used as a spare weekends and school holidays.

Also the 6 Pinnacle/Westpointe and 6 shoppers Special run hourly service too, these are both new routes, only in service for a year.

The Following Units have been Retired From Gp Transit. 803,808,817,818 and I believe they have all gone to the auction. I know they got like $500 for 803, it ran ok but did have issues with getting enough power to do a decent speed and the heater they could never get it to work properly, this unit saw little service in the last 2-3 yrs. 808 I belive had major corrosion issues, and 817,818 we're starting to cost too much to keep on the road. So the only step buses left are 805,806 and 809. 809 is used 2-3 hrs a day Mon to Fri and 805/806 are technically spares but they go into service each once a week on Route 6B usually just so they dont just sit in case they need to use them.