Promagstyle

Transit Model Thread

9 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

Look at this grail... TTC CLRV St Petersburg model

(Not mine, nor could I ever afford it)

46 minutes ago, SMS said:

A screen shot could be appreciated for the future. Once the listing ends, there is nothing to see.

Capture5.thumb.JPG.8368dcd8d0bacb599699ba6c8ed7bf83.JPG FTW, No i'm not the winning bidder 

Capture5.thumb.JPG.8368dcd8d0bacb599699ba6c8ed7bf83.JPG

Capture5.thumb.JPG.8368dcd8d0bacb599699ba6c8ed7bf83.JPG

Good lord. I wish I had a grand to burn. Sure makes bus modeling look cheap.

9 hours ago, SMS said:

Good lord. I wish I had a grand to burn. Sure makes bus modeling look cheap.

Bus modeling is cheap if you're after what is available in the smaller scales...

If you want some O scale SPTC models though they're about as pricey as that CLRV. :P

http://www.sptc-spb.ru/model/1956-mack-c-49-dt-montreal-transportation-commission-3300-3349-series-sptc204-04.php

http://www.sptc-spb.ru/model/1956-57-gm-tdh-5105-montreal-transportation-commission-2300-2324;-2350-2399-series-sptc238-17.php

http://www.sptc-spb.ru/model/1944-montreal-tramways-co-canadian-car-foundry-pcc-order-1556;-3500-3517-series-original-livery-sptc449.php

http://www.sptc-spb.ru/oldsite/photo/ccfbrill_tb/175e.htm

I have the SPTC Calgary Transit T-44 model, plus 3 kits... A  CCF/ Brill C-36 and T-44, and a Pullman 44CX.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2018 at 4:10 PM, neoartic7101 said:

Can you do a SEPTA Neoplan version?

I'll look into getting one done eventually; I really like their AN460s and older AN440s

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 11:44 AM, tomsbuspage said:

I found some photos of Rapido's OC Transpo 8004 model online and am posting them below along with two of my OC Transpo Fishbowl photos:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1196/3030/products/NewLookBus_OC_1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1524688012https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1196/3030/products/NewLookBus_OC_2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1524688013

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQX1w1bU_p40Y0QU1EVIi68yhQ7UnA5twv_ZRluBQ95kaWE1jeufAhttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-zS7LhaO06_ju0G9cI_gA54e4Ngzjsb-A4dBN-895CGI4IPZ3

Interesting. There's one more very slight flaw that I see with the Rapido model. The leaf below the rear window is slightly different. In a way, it makes it look slightly worse to me. The best Fishbowl livery was the maple leaf paint job by far, so they at least made a good choice going with that livery.

Do you know if they made one in the original stripe livery with the white fluting? 

12 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Interesting. There's one more very slight flaw that I see with the Rapido model. The leaf below the rear window is slightly different. In a way, it makes it look slightly worse to me. The best Fishbowl livery was the maple leaf paint job by far, so they at least made a good choice going with that livery.

Which pictures of the model and prototype are you looking at?

3 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Which pictures of the model and prototype are you looking at?

I was looking at Jeffrey's model photo and Tom's photo of a real fishbowl. Tom's photo has the flaw as well, it's just not as visible at that angle.

Compare the leaf livery of these two:

15F454E1-0808-4BB5-9112-9D6FFB897C1E.jpeg

I can tell that this one looks a bit different. I personally don't like it as much. I understand that they can't get every single thing right, but still.

877772FB-7E07-440A-B6A9-67403D11C6E5.jpeg

This one is what it actually looked like on a real fishbowl. I prefer this.

15F454E1-0808-4BB5-9112-9D6FFB897C1E.thumb.jpeg.d9ca9c42ff64be52141d27e868edb6ec.jpeg

877772FB-7E07-440A-B6A9-67403D11C6E5.thumb.jpeg.06e3092874352bda88ddb4aec31cd894.jpeg

15F454E1-0808-4BB5-9112-9D6FFB897C1E.thumb.jpeg.d9ca9c42ff64be52141d27e868edb6ec.jpeg

877772FB-7E07-440A-B6A9-67403D11C6E5.thumb.jpeg.06e3092874352bda88ddb4aec31cd894.jpeg

You're also comparing a single width rear door prototype photo to a double width rear door model. Might want to use higher res pics of a bus closer to the actual model. 

Regardless, if the prototype apparently has this flaw, then how is it a flaw if it was reproduced on the model? Seems to me the model is indeed correctly based upon the prototype, even if the prototype is flawed as you claim. 

These are probably the best photos I was able to get of Fishbowls in the Maple Leaf livery, as I was only able to get a small number of photos before the venerable buses disappeared for ever:

OC7905.JPG

OC7905b.JPG

OC8111b.JPG

OC8222b.jpg

OC8238b.JPG

It looks to me as if Rapido faithfully copied the flaw in the paint scheme, especially if it appears on these buses.

Ya know, this is the frustrating thing. Surely  OC/ STO guy can check other websites for photos, such as busdrawings.com for reference photos?
My earliest photos weren't the greatest either, but, there's a whole lot of reference material out there if people want to look for it. They can't always get spoon fed everything they need. And that's the thing... I've been looking at Peter's photos and I can see that such things as the point in leaf just above the rub rail sits on the second corrugation in the "silversides" in both a prototype photo and the model. That is damn accurate for the model in my opinion.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tomsbuspage said:

These are probably the best photos I was able to get of Fishbowls in the Maple Leaf livery, as I was only able to get a small number of photos before the venerable buses disappeared for ever:

OC7905.JPG

OC7905b.JPG

OC8111b.JPG

OC8222b.jpg

OC8238b.JPG

It looks to me as if Rapido faithfully copied the flaw in the paint scheme, especially if it appears on these buses.

So either OC Transpo messed up their livery, or Rapido copied them and messed up... I guess it was a fault of OC, not Rapido. Rapido had them to base their model off of. I take back what I said.

I guess the 1993 Classics had the the most consistent leaf livery then.

Pay attention closely to the no rear boarding sticker behind the rear door. On 8122, the leaf does not go above the white line inside the sticker. On the model, the leaf goes above the white line inside the sticker slightly. Some of our fishbowls had the former, some had the latter. 

These were some photos that I could find. Credits by Jeffrey and Peter McLaughlin respectively.

90BB9083-BB51-48F2-A410-8484377C0705.jpeg

99CA2045-4CE3-4C59-A561-9062BE58DB14.jpeg

90BB9083-BB51-48F2-A410-8484377C0705.thumb.jpeg.6a5cbb413d7f979c19db47b6dc1c10b2.jpeg

99CA2045-4CE3-4C59-A561-9062BE58DB14.thumb.jpeg.1a2e5782f056175ae909ab07a0804880.jpeg

90BB9083-BB51-48F2-A410-8484377C0705.thumb.jpeg.6a5cbb413d7f979c19db47b6dc1c10b2.jpeg

99CA2045-4CE3-4C59-A561-9062BE58DB14.thumb.jpeg.1a2e5782f056175ae909ab07a0804880.jpeg

31 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Ya know, this is the frustrating thing. Surely  OC/ STO guy can check other websites for photos, such as busdrawings.com for reference photos?

My earliest photos weren't the greatest either, but, there's a whole lot of reference material out there if people want to look for it. They can't always get spoon fed everything they need. And that's the thing... I've been looking at Peter's photos and I can see that such things as the point in leaf just above the rub rail sits on the second corrugation in the "silversides" in both a prototype photo and the model. That is damn accurate for the model in my opinion.

I have been looking at busdrawings for some photos to compare the Rapido model with. As I said, I take back what I said. I foolishly believed that it was one of Rapido's flaws. I now know that it's one of OC's messups. I should have looked first before doing my original post, I apologize about that, and for any confusion that it may have caused. 

I do agree with you, however. It is actually very accurate, not counting the flawed livery that they copied from OC. I don't blame them as they only had that to go off of. 

Edit: I see that it was a double post. I thought it would merge... I did not intend on having it be two separate posts.

23 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Pay attention closely to the no rear boarding sticker behind the rear door. On 8122, the leaf does not go above the white line inside the sticker. On the model, the leaf goes above the white line inside the sticker slightly. Some of our fishbowls had the former, some had the latter. 

Emphasis added to 8122.... the model is based on 8106. Now, we're starting to split hairs over decal placement, which if you look around at the photos of the 8000's and 8100's that the "no rear boarding" decal placement is all over the map. 

8106.jpg

The actual 8106 indeed seems to have the decal placement close to what the model has. Tough to see in this pic, but it's clearly not like 8122.

4 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

I do agree with you, however. It is actually very accurate, not counting the flawed livery that they copied from OC. I don't blame them as they only had that to go off of. 

Edit: I see that it was a double post. I thought it would merge... I did not intend on having it be two separate posts.

I'm actually becoming impressed how well they did with these with this paint scheme, which might well be one of the more complex ones they did... off the top of my head... There's a lot of nits you could pick with these, but, for most people they are close enough. And for me.... I have 20 kits to make as perfect as possible. One day. Some day.

10 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Emphasis added to 8122.... the model is based on 8106. Now, we're starting to split hairs over decal placement, which if you look around at the photos of the 8000's and 8100's that no rear boarding decal placement is all over the map. 

8106.jpg

The actual 8106 indeed seems to have the decal placement close to what the model has. Tough to see in this pic, but it's clearly not like 8122.

Another one of OC Transpo's inconsistencies... First it's the livery, now it's the fact that the no rear boarding decal placement is all over the place... What next, a different shade of red being used?

I stand corrected.

At the end of the day, the paint scheme is close enough, even if I don't like a few things.

Hey guys! Otter Valley Railroad (OVR) has a sale on Rapido buses currently. A simple search will allow you to see that they are undercutting prices to the effect of 13-24% off on standard, deluxe, or non transit liveried models. They have stocked TTC (Maroon and Cream), OC Transpo, Detroit, Pittsburgh, and BC Transit models, along with a variety of other colours. I could not resist added Detroit, Pittsburgh, and another OC model (my appetite was somewhat whetted based on the above discussion) to my collection for the lowest price that I have seen to date: $47.99 (from retail $59.99). I would also suggest taking advantage of said sale if you fancy the deluxe model, sale $63.99  -$69.99 (from retail $79.99 - $83.49). Shipping costs were reasonable, averaging five dollars a bus for me. Looking forward to receiving my units!

• Thanks 1

Something to consider:

The real life examples of OC’s maple leaf scheme (and all the others for that matter) were masked off by the hands of (several) people- not assembly line robots.

Inconsistencies will happen. Especially on a challenging shape like that. 

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Something to consider:

The real life examples of OC’s maple leaf scheme (and all the others for that matter) were masked off by the hands of (several) people- not assembly line robots.

Inconsistencies will happen. Especially on a challenging shape like that. 

I really don't want to turn this into a OC paint job inconsistency thread, but agreed. Slight inconsistencies will happen, because they're humans. They're not expected to be perfect every single time. They do a good job of keeping it as consistent as possible, even if there are a few buses with messed up paint schemes.

On 11/28/2006 at 1:38 PM, M. Parsons said:

Well, just sprayed the white for the model of MP 4500. So far... not bad.

It has a few flaws... but, it is my first time.

This will also be my first experince with an air brush. I'll post a pic a bit later on.

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll spray the silver and on Thursday the blue.

In other news... just picked up a Corgi fishbowl off of eBay for $15. It was one of the Lionel City ones... which usually do go pretty cheap because they don't follow a prototype, and hence, aren't popluar among collectors.

I know that it is bad netiquette to dig up the past like this, but finally, can we see a pic of MP 4500 please Martin? 

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:21 PM, SMS said:

I would like to amend the above post. Thanks to the help from a friend at TTC, I was able to procure both the Modern and Maroon & Cream liveries. Unfortunately, the only Canadian property that I am still missing is Edmonton Transit. I have little interest in DC Transit, St Louis Bi-State, Connecticut Transit, Detroit DSR, Los Angeles LACMTA, or Pittsburgh Port Authority.

Please post any news, updates, and pricing of your models!

Update:

After a very successful ten-day trip to the US, I was able to add some fishbowl models to my collection. At Patrick's Trains in Wheeling, WV, I snagged three Lionel City Corgis for $39.99 each, however the sticker indicated that the merchandise was used from a previous collector. I asked Patrick (the owner) to examine the contents and they were pretty much in mint condition, with the certificate # of production still inside (no low numbers though). I have the Lionel City Transit Corporation, Bus Services, and Transit editions. The hope is to get them sanded down and custom painted. An alternative would be to resell them. A quick search online shows that even the Lionel models seem to fetch a pretty penny these days (asking for anywhere from 1.5-2x what I paid). Pretty outrageous considering that most of the serious collectors that I know turned up their nose to this run! Perhaps this is an indication that the market for these buses is finally drying up??

With regard to the above quote... Finally, I caved and bought Port Authority (Pittsburgh) #2476 from Hobby Express in Cranberry Township, PA. I took the hit and paid MSRP $44.99 for standard (no interest in deluxe). I sure learned my lesson. I am not sure if I will complete the collection from Rapido's first run of fishbowls, but I will make an effort. The BHA flea market was a bust for Rapido buses!

By the way, if anyone was looking for the HO scale version of Dayton MVRTA #110 by Busch, three were available at The Train Store in Columbus, OH. I do not remember the pricing (perhaps $45 US?) - I did not care to buy one, since I already have one. It is ironic that the hobby store that I visited in Dayton, OH did not stock any buses, let alone this one!

• Like 1

MP 4500 is currently MIA after 2 moves... packed away somewhere. One day it will resurface and go in for finishing!

I got an excellent deal one time on the Corgi Lionel Fishbowls as they were cheap. It's been awhile since I looked, but the last time I did I was surprised what the Lionel buses were going for. I suspect it might be Lionel collectors going for them rather than actual model bus collectors. 

Recently, a whole fleet of Corgi Old Looks came through a Edmonton Goodwill. A few of us snagged a number of them. Pretty decent pricing since I have a family member who works there. No boxes or numbering or anything though.

I snagged a Corgi fishbowl, Baltimore I believe, at a model railroad swapmeet for a reasonable price. It's hit and miss, but, MR swap meets can be a good place to find bus models that are perhaps under priced as sometimes the seller doesn't know what sort of market there is for them. What might have actually been an even better find from the same seller was a diecast 1:48ish scale school bus model. Flat nose type thing, lots of curves like a older Crown or Gillig school bus. I never did research much into it.

Last night I came across my American Precision Models TTC old look model. Now that I have that one and the Calgary T44 model located I'll need to take some photos of them.

In other news, it sounds like the Rapido ETS fishbowls should be hitting stores soon. 

This was what was left of the models at Goodwill when I saw them.

F5nSOXfusyxEohUwq_Gn-D4zpp8uP12YiD3JosAX_jM-83NUIuq2ds8LxmrA85fZ4jKyga4FUDSaxgWCCPQlf1UuoVvUNcr0fNeqmmrTCkjPO517s2D1WIZS3i0LeWQqFOhepISufTowr1HCJgG_KhL0crHu1Y0C30ULaXhnEwBvDnSnd2m0_iayGF3O_Vw25Iil_5F1zg-o61t_w_TDgTg45wvVNeEG_KYZBveeLPGBoUpk14UE5ZRmzEeLBUrZiQOVXw3TrjOilVpSS3AHoGgVTHmXofo8bFrOhRwLX7mYRX692Sn7hVlJ5X_cljq8-VE_9z9BRa_9mHNNph_n-R40N2BbgaUNoXT4lg-RWwrxR4hlet6oMlFaCddQvDJDFU51Fpj4i1H07XPHKs3iY6nJYFD6gXOJXnYujN9XGQme-w7kUchP1psYzxKYC8UWQFd99YLFrRKq2kZ68N35w5a3LZi3gUgz8DXqOy1MqgzXAQjdepSxpToZffhhwC0hPNHp0e_R8US4t_YyyRTSMl7kzFP8DczqpiwtS04A00ps0f67X3zRngyJsmOs8fec_yrDO8PzYVWryUXXxwlV1SOtwV7bvz1_ogftbvs=w1156-h867-no

I got a heads up from the manager that they got them too... I was trying to be good and keep money in my bank account so I ignored them for a few days.  Apparently there were a few more that sold before I took this.   

19 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

MP 4500 is currently MIA after 2 moves... packed away somewhere. One day it will resurface and go in for finishing!

I got an excellent deal one time on the Corgi Lionel Fishbowls as they were cheap. It's been awhile since I looked, but the last time I did I was surprised what the Lionel buses were going for. I suspect it might be Lionel collectors going for them rather than actual model bus collectors. 

[...]

In other news, it sounds like the Rapido ETS fishbowls should be hitting stores soon. 

Thanks for the update Martin and looking forward to seeing MP 4500 one day! As for those Lionel collectors, they should have gotten in on the action earlier when they were dirt cheap. Good news on the ETS fishbowls, I love that blue and grey livery. Thanks for the tip!

20 hours ago, awstott said:

This was what was left of the models at Goodwill when I saw them.

F5nSOXfusyxEohUwq_Gn-D4zpp8uP12YiD3JosAX_jM-83NUIuq2ds8LxmrA85fZ4jKyga4FUDSaxgWCCPQlf1UuoVvUNcr0fNeqmmrTCkjPO517s2D1WIZS3i0LeWQqFOhepISufTowr1HCJgG_KhL0crHu1Y0C30ULaXhnEwBvDnSnd2m0_iayGF3O_Vw25Iil_5F1zg-o61t_w_TDgTg45wvVNeEG_KYZBveeLPGBoUpk14UE5ZRmzEeLBUrZiQOVXw3TrjOilVpSS3AHoGgVTHmXofo8bFrOhRwLX7mYRX692Sn7hVlJ5X_cljq8-VE_9z9BRa_9mHNNph_n-R40N2BbgaUNoXT4lg-RWwrxR4hlet6oMlFaCddQvDJDFU51Fpj4i1H07XPHKs3iY6nJYFD6gXOJXnYujN9XGQme-w7kUchP1psYzxKYC8UWQFd99YLFrRKq2kZ68N35w5a3LZi3gUgz8DXqOy1MqgzXAQjdepSxpToZffhhwC0hPNHp0e_R8US4t_YyyRTSMl7kzFP8DczqpiwtS04A00ps0f67X3zRngyJsmOs8fec_yrDO8PzYVWryUXXxwlV1SOtwV7bvz1_ogftbvs=w1156-h867-no

I got a heads up from the manager that they got them too... I was trying to be good and keep money in my bank account so I ignored them for a few days.  Apparently there were a few more that sold before I took this.   

Picture broken

Stupid Google photos.... I copied the pic and then pasted it into the board.  I can see it fine on my side.  Any here it is on Imgur instead.

Hv2Qlj0.jpg

• Thanks 1