School Bus Sightings

A. Wong

Remember the Freightliner/Corbeil spotted by M. Parsons a while ago? (captaintrolley - you were with him and thought he was crazy for running after it.) I don't know if it's the same one but I saw Golden Arrow 468 this morning. It is a high-roof Corbeil on a Freightliner chassis. The windows are aluminum framed though. Also interesting is that the rear reverse light is the same size as the brake/turn signals.

Remember the Freightliner/Corbeil spotted by M. Parsons a while ago? (captaintrolley - you were with him and thought he was crazy for running after it.) I don't know if it's the same one but I saw Golden Arrow 468 this morning. It is a high-roof Corbeil on a Freightliner chassis. The windows are aluminum framed though. Also interesting is that the rear reverse light is the same size as the brake/turn signals.

Cardinal Coach Lines has some Corbeil body schoolies with the reverse light the same as the brake/signal lights as well. It isn't a common thing out here, but they are around.

Cardinal Coach Lines has some Corbeil body schoolies with the reverse light the same as the brake/signal lights as well. It isn't a common thing out here, but they are around.

Photo please! And it's a rare to have it.

• 2 months later...

Golden Arrow is expanding their fleet from just the regular Freightliner FL60-80 chassis/Thomas combination it looks like. They have a bunch of new C2s (around 5 at Belvedere) as well as more ICs on the road. I even spotted a IC BE on the road the other day. The logo is in an odd place on the lower panels.

They could easily put it in the normal position, but there are two turn signal lights there so I guess it wouldn't fit. And even IC's default place for text is down there - their promotional image had "SCHOOL BUS" there, which is the most awkward position ever.

I think on another Golden Arrow bus I saw, the logo wasn't centered along the side, but a lot closer to the front.

Coming to you live...from the recieving area of my store...

Golden Arrow C2 424 is decalled up for something... My mom actually mentioned she saw a "funky looking" school bus with ads on it the other day. Guess she does know what she was talking about... although I figured it was a C2.

Considering it's parked outside of a Walmart... that needs staff... I can only assume that's what the ads are for (ie, it was parked right up on the sidewalk and positioned in a specific way).

• 2 weeks later...

I was driving along when something caught my eyes through the trees - it was Briggs unit 430, which is an IC FE! For those who aren't into school buses, this is a transit-style flatnose non-conventional bus.

fe_med.jpg

I think I saw it last year once but never got a fleet number off of it. These are rare here - heck, transit-style school buses are rare here.

Briggs' fleet numbers are really random - unit 431 is an old 1990s GMC Blue Bird. And 422 is a 1980s Chevy Microbird.

I actually remember riding a couple of transit style (flat nose) school buses years ago. I only remember ever seeing two in the Golden Arrow fleet (Golden Arrow served my old school). The numbers of course, are lost in time. Every now and then one from out of town will show up at WEM though.

Ah yes, the modern fleet. Even though I was very young at the time, I still remember when the first Thomas Freightliners joined the GA fleet. They assigned one to my school run in early 2000. Those first ones were different as they did not have the tinted windows that most of the others have (I believe the '02s? were the first to come with them)

I'm not a huge fan of the modern stuff, as they all have that same "generic diesel" sound to them. The old stuff had more character! (Even a D40LF sounds better than a modern school bus)

There are exceptions though. A large percentage of Briggs' smaller units (24 passenger or less) are propane powered (And a lot of these are fairly recent). Those sound awesome! Every morning on my way to my bus stop, I get to hear one of those fly by me <_<

Yeah, the Belvedere yard has pretty much every model that Golden Arrow has other than the oddballs. You should have a ride-by if you are interested!

I noticed that one C2 had bulb reverse lights while one had LED ones (or that's how it looked from the train anyways).

There was a broken down Cunningham Blue Bird on 118 Avenue by the entrance to Coliseum Transit Centre when I was heading to school at about 1150.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. It's not the first time I've seen that one in my area, so I should be able to get a better shot some other day.

I did see Briggs #100 yesterday as well (Not sure exactly what it was, but I recongnised the large angle front end design)

I came across something odd today. GA #426, which appears to be a full size Corbiel/Frieghtliner bus.
Incidentally, it was a bus of that combination that started this thread.
Not the greatest shot, unfortunately.
Yeah. it's brutal. <_<
I'm not a huge fan of the modern stuff, as they all have that same "generic diesel" sound to them. The old stuff had more character! (Even a D40LF sounds better than a modern school bus)

I would disagree with you. Generic diesel sound, OK. But I didn't start liking buses because of the way they sound. I definately prefer modern school buses. All major school buses builders now usually use their own chassis. That means no more generic Ford, International and Freightliner fronts. OK, Freightliner still shows up. The C2 looks relatively sweet. So does the Bluebird Vision (unfortunately, not too popular out here, especially when Briggs went IC). The International IC is also very nice. Using the ex Amtran body style which I've alway liked. The chassis is like any other modern International, but it looks nice.

Of couse, old (ie 1970's and earlier) school buses are nice, as are any Wayne's. Cunningham had many Wayne's at one point, although I haven't seen one in a few years (A. Wong... ever been to Cunningham's Yard?).

Would like to see some Freightliner/ Corbeils.

That GA C2 that I said was outside of the SEC Walmart has been there virtually every day since. One day I might go over there and take a pic...

And speaking of GA... has anyone spotted that flatnose Premier that used to hangout at Belvedere?

One day I'll get around to scanning some schoolbus pics. I have a Briggs Ward bodied bus somewhere.

Yeah, that is their only one. Second hand from somewhere I think.
I should actually clarify myself here - the only Freightliner/Corbeil they have. They have at least one other short International/Corbeil that I see around my area sometimes. And while I am not sure it is second hand, it seems to be since it is an oddity.
I did see Briggs #100 yesterday as well (Not sure exactly what it was, but I recongnised the large angle front end design)
If memory serves me correctly (I don't have access to my school bus pics here), that is a 2005 Blue Bird Vision.
All major school buses builders now usually use their own chassis. That means no more generic Ford, International and Freightliner fronts. OK, Freightliner still shows up. The C2 looks relatively sweet. So does the Bluebird Vision (unfortunately, not too popular out here, especially when Briggs went IC).

Of couse, old (ie 1970's and earlier) school buses are nice, as are any Wayne's. Cunningham had many Wayne's at one point, although I haven't seen one in a few years (A. Wong... ever been to Cunningham's Yard?).

And speaking of GA... has anyone spotted that flatnose Premier that used to hangout at Belvedere?

Yeah, the C2 uses a Freightliner M2 chassis design. Ford dropped out of business early compared to everyone else. The GMC/Chevy chassis are popular, since Briggs has a ton of them.

I remember that was pretty much all Cunningham had - Waynes... I wasn't even 5 years old at the time probably. <_< When I saw a Blue Bird with their name on it, I thought it was an upgrade. :( While I don't really like the style better than, say Thomas, I do appreciate them.

Their yard is probably the only one I've never been too, just because I don't know where it is. :P (Well, same goes for StAT's garage)

Haven't seen that sadly - it's definitely not up by Belvedere anymore. It used to hang out on 118 Avenue too. I wouldn't be surprised if they retired it with the new C2s coming in.

I noticed the driver who decorated his/her FS-65 last year for Halloween now has a C2.

I should actually clarify myself here - the only Freightliner/Corbeil they have. They have at least one other short International/Corbeil that I see around my area sometimes. And while I am not sure it is second hand, it seems to be since it is an oddity.

Doe GA have some Premier's?

Yeah, the C2 uses a Freightliner M2 chassis design. Ford dropped out of business early compared to everyone else. The GMC/Chevy chassis are popular, since Briggs has a ton of them.

But who's using the GMC chassis anymore?

Again, it seems the three main school bus products are the C2, Vision, and IC.I just check Bluebird and Thomas's website. Neither offers bodies any more as far as I can tell. You either get the Vision or the C2. If you want something from International, you have the IC.

Doe GA have some Premier's?

But who's using the GMC chassis anymore?

Again, it seems the three main school bus products are the C2, Vision, and IC.I just check Bluebird and Thomas's website. Neither offers bodies any more as far as I can tell. You either get the Vision or the C2. If you want something from International, you have the IC.

Yeah that's actually probably what that short one is. I just refer to anything of that body design as a Corbeil. :lol: Though it really is Les Entreprises Michel Corbeil Inc.

No one uses GMCs after those boxes (which IMO sound like crap). But if you want to count mini-buses, some still do use the Savanna/Express chassis.

I was right, Briggs 100 is a Vision (they only have a handful, maybe even just 2):

briggs100.jpg

^^^That is indeed the 100 that I saw :D

I remember riding on some of those old Waynes that Cunningham had (still have?). My old school used to charter them for ski trips for some reason. (Even though they didn't have under floor storage or overhead racks). I remember everyone calling them the "vintage buses" :lol:

My favourite school buses were the old Bluebird/GMC ones from the '80s. (The ones with the square front and round headlights). I guess it was because I rode that style of bus to school for quite a few different years.