Translink fleet overhaul watch

MCW Metrobus

Am I the only who thinks the Nova's could be retired after only 16-18 years of service? They're terrible busses, at least the 07/08 LFS. The 09's may last longer, they seem to be in better shape. Also, if this expansion thing pans out, the 1995 7115 could be 25 years old by the time they finally retire it. lol

2 hours ago, Peter M said:

What do you mean? I don't understand.

He's referring to botched quality control on the Novas.

During the delivery of the new E40LFR's in January of 2007, the new trolleys experienced power steering issues which caused them to be pulled out of service. I forget if it had something to do with the power steering pump itself or software glitches.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mountie said:

During the delivery of the new E40LFR's in January of 2007, the new trolleys experienced power steering issues which caused them to be pulled out of service. I forget if it had something to do with the power steering pump itself or software glitches.

As I recall, the issue was that the power steering pump would shut off when the coach lost 600V AC power supply, in other words, whenever it passed through an insulator or a dead spot on the wire. I might be wrong on this though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mountie said:

It was the power steering, at least that was the main cause for them being taken off the road.  As for the Nova's, from what I've heard, the order was rushed due to some issues TransLink was having with New Flyer at the time.  Just what I've heard over the years.  Just imagine, we could have had a full fleet of D40LFR's and possibly DE40LFR's

6 minutes ago, cleowin said:

Am I the only who thinks the Nova's could be retired after only 16-18 years of service? They're terrible busses, at least the 07/08 LFS. The 09's may last longer, they seem to be in better shape. Also, if this expansion thing pans out, the 1995 7115 could be 25 years old by the time they finally retire it. lol

I have to agree.  When I drive an 09, it always feels more solid than the 06/07/08 models.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Citaro said:

If you can't be bothered to read the preceding post, that's on you.

I'm so sorry. Clearly I'm on some level of stupidity, not sure what my issue is or why these post keep getting past me , if I do this again, please quote me and simply call me an idiot.

35 minutes ago, Marlow1331 said:

I'm so sorry. Clearly I'm on some level of stupidity, not sure what my issue is or why these post keep getting past me , if I do this again, please quote me and simply call me an idiot.

That's not the point; just do your due diligence.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2 friends of mine visited BTC today:

9250 is being refurbished. Expect it in service within the next 2 weeks.

9246 had a minor accident and is in for body repairs.

9479 last seen December 20 on the 25 with significant front body damage around the front doors.

9449 and 9787 sitting at east wall still damaged (not tarped)

7355 and 7268 are also there.

• 1 month later...

BTC Check: 1545 5/18/17

South Fence: 8155, 7290, 7266, 7477, 9408, 3297, Unidentifiable D40LFR, 7445, 7208

East Wall: 9449, 9787

9201 was inside one of the bays (one of the ones facing Kitchener street. It still had the old font but I couldnt tell whether I saw white or grey.

I couldn't find 9479.