Ferry Maintenance

I always wondered how ferry companies maintain their fleet, do they rotate their equiptment around? What about in situations where that ferry is in service 7 days a week? how does it get maintained?

BC Ferries keeps a few spare vessels that they use to replace the regular vessels when they go in for maintenance. I suspect other ferry companies do the same.

BC Ferries keeps a few spare vessels that they use to replace the regular vessels when they go in for maintenance. I suspect other ferry companies do the same.

IIRC Toronto Island ferries have an extra vessel.

• 2 years later...

Washington State Ferries got stuck in a political mess and is short boats. They are trying to keep up with painting during winter, but that is tough with the weather elements. They are too busy during summer to do painting them. Worst off (exterior) are the Chelan (Currently, the only boat able to cross to Canada, as she has SOLAS cert), Hyak and Yakima. They need attention, but cannot just be pulled from service.

• 11 months later...

A few spare vessels? I guess this would depend on the size of the operation. When the vessels being used are in the 150 million dollar range, this is not a option. Having a schedule in place that allows for annual maintenance plus a preventive maintenance program is the only answer.

During the peak season BC Ferries doesn't have a spare vessel as they need all their vessels in service to maintain the schedule that they run. Only in the fall and spring do they pull vessels from service for maintainance when they don't need every vessel to maintain the shcedule.

• 1 year later...

Halifax currently has had to cut rush hour service levels on the Alderny/Halifax Ferry, each ferry has to go in for maintenance every 3 years, this year it was Dartmouth III's turn, so its likely we wont have rush hour service levels till at least Dec 1st, I'll post here when she comes back out on the line..

( btw Halifax Metrotransit, only has 3 ferries, currently there are no spares, so if one breaks down right now, they would have to cut service again or risk losing the Woodside/Halifax trips.. which currently only run during rush hours anyways)

• 11 months later...

Metro Transit in Halifax, currently have 3 ferries, 2 are from 1979, other i believe is 1987?

Each year for a period of 6-8 weeks, we will get our service frequency sliced in half, usually sept-oct, for one of the ferries to go their yearly overhaul/prettying up, this year, its the oldest of the bunch, Halifax III, thats off for a bit..

The new ferry is in the process of being built in Yarmouth.