12 hours ago, A. Wong said:

The description of this video states all 120 tails have been parked across Canada.

I don’t think this is 100% correct as earlier today I was scanning Flightradar24 and although there weren’t many there were still a handful of Westjet planes operating flights. As I write C-FKWS is operating a scheduled flight between Calgary and Toronto as flight WS652. There are many Westjet plane parked out there, an example being there are many parked on the crosswind runway at YVR and at the end of March there were about 2 dozen Westjet aircraft parked at YYC. In other words, there is still a small handful of Westjet planes still flying but maybe there won’t be tomorrow. Who know? The time we are in is full of surprises.

17 hours ago, Thomasw said:

I don’t think this is 100% correct as earlier today I was scanning Flightradar24 and although there weren’t many there were still a handful of Westjet planes operating flights. As I write C-FKWS is operating a scheduled flight between Calgary and Toronto as flight WS652. There are many Westjet plane parked out there, an example being there are many parked on the crosswind runway at YVR and at the end of March there were about 2 dozen Westjet aircraft parked at YYC. In other words, there is still a small handful of Westjet planes still flying but maybe there won’t be tomorrow. Who know? The time we are in is full of surprises.

I sent you a PM with some more info regarding the video description of the 120 aircraft that were parked. Hope it helps :) 

While we're on the subject, WestJet is in fact still flying within Canada. According to WestJet, they are still operating domestic flights within Canada. This is from WestJet's coronavirus information page: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-info/coronavirus

Recently we announced the suspension of our commercial operations for all transborder (United States, including Hawaii) and international (Europe, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America) flights as of Sunday, March 22.

Whether we are flying or not, we are always here for our guests. During this downtime, we will be doing everything we can to accommodate your changing travel needs. We will also continue to ensure our aircraft meet the highest safety and health standards. We are ready to fly when you are.

According to the webpage, they have only suspended U.S. and international flights as of March 22. Flights within Canada are still running, albeit with many reductions in service levels. This explains why you are still seeing some WestJet flights operating within Canada.

They are also doing some repatriation flights as well. For example, there is one today, April 11, from Panama City to Toronto Pearson.

Additionally, WestJet tweeted on April 9th that they are continuing their cargo operations. Quote: "Our Cargo operations are helping keep vital supply chains open and moving by flying thousands of pounds of critical supplies each day. We're shipping perishables, pharmaceuticals, blood products and many other necessary items."

More info here on WestJet's cargo operations: https://blog.westjet.com/westjet-cargo-connecting-whats-needed/?sm_cid=social:ws-world:cargo-coronavirus-response:twitter

Edited by OC Transpo Route 95

Noticed this 787-9 going from Toronto to Atlanta for some reason flight number is WS9517

5A9AAC88-3F46-4909-9187-7E2432AC8799.jpeg

3 hours ago, John Oke said:

Noticed this 787-9 going from Toronto to Atlanta for some reason flight number is WS9517

5A9AAC88-3F46-4909-9187-7E2432AC8799.jpeg

Interesting that you bring this up, as I actually noticed this flight this morning while looking at Flightradar24.

I will add that WS9517 actually originated at Dublin International Airport (DUB), and arrived at YYZ at 8:32 am this morning under the same flight number: WS9517. Here is C-GUDO's flight history: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/c-gudo

Another WestJet B789 also did the exact same journey this morning. C-GKKN operated from DUB-YYZ this morning, landing at YYZ at 9:52 am as flight WS9513. As I post this, it is also now en route to ATL, also as WS9513. Here is C-GKKN's flight history: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/c-gkkn

I also noticed that both B789's flew to DUB from YYC on April 24, according to Flightradar24.

Looks like either a cargo flight, or a ferry/repatriation flight, as WestJet has extended the suspension of trans-border and international flights through June 4. I am leaning more towards a cargo flight, mostly because ATL is a major international cargo hub, like JFK and ORD.

On a side note, I also found lots of additional info on WestJet's updated domestic flight schedule here: https://blog.westjet.com/westjet-updates-domestic-flight-schedule-from-may-5-through-june-4/?sm_cid=social:ws-world:coronavirus-response:twitter

Could it also be something to do with the joint venture with Delta and ATL being there main hub?

2 hours ago, John Oke said:

Could it also be something to do with the joint venture with Delta and ATL being there main hub?

Possibly, I didn't even think of the codeshare aspect. Thanks!

I did go to WestJet's website, and tried to find flight status info for both flights, with no success. However, WestJet's flight status page says that codeshare information can be found on their partners' websites.

Therefore, I also had a look around Delta's website, to no avail. On Delta's website, I even searched flight schedules/statuses for today between DUB and ATL; and YYZ and ATL; and nothing about the two flights came up. Although, anything could be possible these days, and perhaps they were codeshared flights, not cargo flights.

I did, however, find Delta's 2012 press release on its codeshare agreement with WestJet, along with a list of codeshared routes: https://news.delta.com/delta-westjet-launch-codeshare-service

UPDATE: As I post this, C-GUDO has left ATL. It left at 2:54 pm Atlanta time, as flight WS9927 to YYC. It previously landed at ATL from YYZ at 12:09 pm Atlanta time.

EDIT: C-GKKN has also left ATL. It left at 3:43 pm Atlanta time, as flight WS9921 to YYC. It previously landed at ATL from YYZ at 1:30 pm Atlanta time.

Edited by OC Transpo Route 95
C-GKKN Has Also Left ATL

On 4/26/2020 at 6:06 PM, 9924 said:

^^^ WestJet has started cargo only flights with their 787s.

https://simpleflying.com/westjet-dublin-atlanta-cargo/

They've also been given approval to fly to South America and the Middle East.

Thank you very much for the info @9924. Nice to see WestJet joining Air Canada in flying cargo-only flights to help transport vital supplies.

I’ve seen rumours that WS is trying to get out of Gatwick. There was one report I saw saying that they’re trying to get 14 slots at Heathrow, but they where denied in the recent slot lottery there. Sounds like to me that they want to beef up transatlantic flights to London from Canada, possible seeing more flights from Toronto and Calgary, possibly year round service from Vancouver, Halifax and Edmonton as well. Sounds like to me that they want to compete more with BA and AC.

Does anyone know if or when the YYZ-BCN flights will be upgraded from a 767 to a 787 and with flights to the Caribbean in the winter that use the 767?

6 hours ago, John Oke said:

Does anyone know if or when the YYZ-BCN flights will be upgraded from a 767 to a 787 and with flights to the Caribbean in the winter that use the 767?

Given the current events, I'm pretty sure thats an open ended question with a big 🤷‍♂️ at the end of it.

• Like 5

Looking at the current 787 orders for 2020 I see 10 787's on order for an unidentified customer a long with a few others for Air lease Corporation(3), Oman Air(4) and ANA(12). I have a feeling it might be WS exercising their 10 options for the 787. Even with the current situation they might've gotten a good deal on it.

From information that I’ve heard one Q400 is at YLW rumour has it that it’s getting new livery painted on it

• Like 3

WestJet flight 706 (737-800 reg. C-GJLZ) on Sunday June 14th from YVR-YYZ was diverted to YWG after a passenger took off his mask and lit up a cigarette, a 60 year old man from B.C. is now facing charges if convicted he will revive a $5000 fine for removing the mask and another $5000 fine for lighting the cigarette. He was released from Manitoba RCMP custody on $3000 bond, he’s scheduled to appear in court in July 

https://simpleflying.com/westjet-737-smoking-passenger/amp/

WestJet has retired their 4 767-300’s, rumours are that they’ve sold them to Amazon it was confirmed by WestJet through Instagram 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

This is the news for the YVR spotters, Westjet will send the Boeing 787-9 for one of the YYZ flight (WS706/711) from 05Oct20~~

WS706 YVR0900 – 1610YYZ 789 D
WS711 YYZ1715 – 1855YVR 789 D

• Like 2

WestJet has announced it's cutting services to Atlantic Canada which will see roughly 100 flights a week cancelled.

Some routes are being halted indefinitely, others are being scaled back.

Service between Toronto and Quebec City is also being reduced.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2020/10/14/canadian-press-newsalert-westjet-cutting-flights-to-atlantic-canada.html

8 hours ago, Marc said:

WestJet has announced it's cutting services to Atlantic Canada which will see roughly 100 flights a week cancelled.

Some routes are being halted indefinitely, others are being scaled back.

Service between Toronto and Quebec City is also being reduced.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2020/10/14/canadian-press-newsalert-westjet-cutting-flights-to-atlantic-canada.html

Does anyone know the exact routes which are being cut?

29 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

Does anyone know the exact routes which are being cut?

YYZ-YYT, YHZ-YOW, YYZ-YQB and all flights to YQM, YYG, YFC, YSJ and YQY

• Like 1