WS’s dispatchers are now unionizing. 

Also, in regards to my winter schedule announced, Swoop just released some sun destinations for this winter after all. 

Some routes mentioned were Abbotsford and Edmonton to Las Vegas and Phoenix(Mesa) as well as some Hamilton to Florida flights. 

On 7/24/2018 at 1:54 PM, 9924 said:

Quoted:

Also, Plus will be replaced by a full business class cabin on the 737s starting this fall. There’s a video on YouTube, I’ll have to link it later. 

https://onemileatatime.com/westjet-business-class-737/

No video provided there, but great pictures. Thankfully, they're moving to 2-2, seatback screens, legrests, and way larger seats. Beginning to look something like AC... good job WestJet.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, FlyingPig said:

https://onemileatatime.com/westjet-business-class-737/

No video provided there, but great pictures. Thankfully, they're moving to 2-2, seatback screens, legrests, and way larger seats. Beginning to look something like AC... good job WestJet.

Not sure for the Economy Class will they resumed the Personal TV as well on their Boeing 737~~

My wife and I spotted the first 787 for WestJet, tail number 901, on the assembly line at the Boeing plant when we took the tour on Saturday.

• Like 1

WestJet is adding Halifax – Dublin daily next summer (but at the expense of St. John’s losing YYT-DUB) That will put WestJet as the dominate TATL carrier at YHZ with daily flights to Paris, Gatwick, Glasgow and now Dublin. And when you include; Air Canada to Heathrow, Icelandair to KEF and Condor to FRA…..not too bad for a city of 400,000!

• Like 1

WestJet's 787-9 service is expected to commence on February 20, 2019 from Toronto-Calgary.

Flights can already be booked via WestJet, but beware that the current prices seem pretty hefty. Business class is available, along with the standard economy and premium fares.

• Like 1

WestJet's first Boeing 787-9, registered C-GUDH and named 'Clive Beddoe', arrived in Calgary tonight.

IMG_4993.JPG

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nick B said:

WestJet's first Boeing 787-9, registered C-GUDH and named 'Clive Beddoe', arrived in Calgary tonight.

IMG_4993.JPG

It looks great!

There is also a live stream from an hour ago on WestJets Instagram story that shows that interior

8 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Found this on Westjet.com

Screenshot_20190218-015400_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e502037060b2bc605d43583f1d5e08a9.jpg

Shows $250 CDN on my end right now.

In other news, C-GUDH is now officially coming up as departing YYZ-YYC on Wednesday February 20th, flight 655.

3 hours ago, Enzo Aquarius said:

Shows $250 CDN on my end right now.

It looks like the $187 fares are for flights departing Ottawa on April 27th only. 

15505133352763983964423273722830.thumb.jpg.e600c832e81c4ef79e5b40ed53016cfc.jpg

Flights from Toronto start on April 1st and are going for $250 

1550513545251186740031370203677.thumb.jpg.1a71a0cb02c7fc61b6bd7a543b565405.jpg

WestJet #901 - Boeing 787-9 just completed it's inaugural run from Toronto to Calgary, landing at 11:22AM MDT. The second Dreamliner was just delivered to WestJet on February 20 in Toronto. 

WestJet901-C-GUDH.jpg

• Like 3

The Old and the Replacement. I eventually, hope to get a better picture of the two in the future. 

WestJet901-C-GUDH (3).jpg

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5133465

This is bad news

Lets hope that the deal doesn’t go through. I feel like this Onex Corporation would just cause more issues. Just people you own a successful cinema company and a hit saloon doesn’t mean that your nessesary ready to own an international airline 

I disagree, I think it's great news for the company.  Bad news for shareholders like me investing in value stocks that will no longer own a piece of a well run company.

Right now WestJet is going through a transition from offering a service that is essentially a commuter bus with wings to becoming a full service international airline competing with the big, established players.  I just flew premium class on a Dreamliner and can say they've nailed it in terms of the product to appeal to higher value, longer distance travelers and they're ready to earn their share of the market. In the short term I expect they'll see pricing pressure from established, financially well off competitors like Air Canada that will hit WestJet's bottom line as they rapidly establish new markets.  The markets have demonstrated they're very intolerant of any hit to WestJet's quarterly financial performance even if it is an anomaly or part of a strategic investment that will lead to greater profit in the future (eg when WJ took an accounting loss from the early retirement of their -200s when fuel prices were high or the most recent quarter where they incurred a loss due to rapid expansion).  Private ownership will shield the company from the whims of day traders and short term investors unconcerned with the long term success of the company.

As far as Onex not being in the aviation industry, that probably won't matter.  It's no different than today where investment funds, pension funds and others that have no experience running an airline hold shares and influence the board.  If Onex trusts WJ management to competently run the company and stays out of the way then it's better.  Unlike 2 decades ago when Onex was trying to buy Canadian Airlines which was financially on the brink of ruin and later Air Canada which would head into bankruptcy after purchasing Canadian this doesn't read like a situation where Onex is coming in with new management to turn around a failing company.  Quite the opposite, rescuing a successful company from failing investors.

• Like 1

While I agree that going private ownership has its benefits (think BNSF) I'm concerned about the debt portion being loaded onto westjet. 

They've been running pretty lean for a few years doing sale+leaseback deals for some of their owned aircraft that previously represented debt. I don't think there are many good assets for Onex to pillage if that was their reason to acquire the company.  If anything I think Schwartz is looking at this as an opportunistic, easy path to end up with a well run, profitable top tier international airline which we wasn't able to achieve 20 years ago when he tried to take over Canadian Airlines.  Canadian was already a competitive international carrier but was struggling financially, in this case we an airline that is doing well financially in the process of rapid growth to become an international competitor.  Onex has a decent history of turning around failing companies into sustainably profitable ones.  I'm optimistic that Schwartz and his team recognize WestJet's biggest asset is it's reputation and customer loyalty and don't lead the company down a path that will harm those things.