October 15, 2017

Boston  – Montreal

Twice daily

9:25 a.m.

6:15 p.m.

10:57 a.m.

7:47 p.m.

October 15, 2017

That's a big step up for YQB in terms of Westjet, from 2 YYZ Roundtrip and a couple of south flights during winters, we will now have 4 YUL and 3 YYZ round trips a day

Still, why so many flights to YUL that is not Westjet main hub in eastern canada. Nearly all YQB - YUL passengers are people in transit going to take another flight to western canada or Europe (AC territory), i would swap 2 YUL flights to YYZ flights that would be better for Quebec City people that are currently been ripoff by AC on that route

10 hours ago, eclair14 said:

That's a big step up for YQB in terms of Westjet, from 2 YYZ Roundtrip and a couple of south flights during winters, we will now have 4 YUL and 3 YYZ round trips a day

Still, why so many flights to YUL that is not Westjet main hub in eastern canada. Nearly all YQB - YUL passengers are people in transit going to take another flight to western canada or Europe (AC territory), i would swap 2 YUL flights to YYZ flights that would be better for Quebec City people that are currently been ripoff by AC on that route

YUL is under served even by Air Canada, Westjet's main growth is now Canada and USA as Air Canada expanding international

I see that Westjet will be back again this summer with those short hops across the pond on the Transatlantic ‘737s.  With a strong tailwind....the St. John’s-Dublin flight can do it in just under 4 hrs.

YYT-DUB

YYT-LGW

YHZ-GLA

(Halifax will also Has a ‘737 flight to Dublin and Paris on ASL French Airlines) 

WestJet sweetens up summer schedule

Adds route between Winnipeg and Abbotsford, 21 additional flights

Route

Frequency

Departing

Arriving

Effective

Winnipeg – Abbotsford

Daily

7:25 a.m.

8:20 a.m.

April 30 – Oct 28

Abbotsford – Winnipeg

Daily

1:10 p.m.

5:48 p.m.

April 30 – Oct 28

Introductory one-way fares are available starting from:

Departing

Arriving

Air transportation charges (ATC)

Taxes, fees and charges

Total one-way price from

Base fare from

Other ATC

Winnipeg

Abbotsford

$34.00

$23.00

$36.58

$93.58* CAD

Abbotsford

Winnipeg

$54.00

$23.00

$16.58

$93.58* CAD

The airline will increase its number of non-stop flights between Abbotsford and Edmonton from 13 per week to 20 and service between Winnipeg and Edmonton will increase from 21 flights per week to 24 beginning April 30. Daily service between Winnipeg and Hamilton begins May 1. With these additions, WestJet will operate 60 weekly departures from Abbotsford and 204 departures from Winnipeg by May 2017, reinforcing WestJet's position as the number one air carrier in both these markets.

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1215

Regardless of the credibility of those eyewitnesses, I wouldn't use FlightAware to back up an argument like that. I sure hope WestJet's investigation into this incident goes beyond FlightAware. Breaching minimums on any instrument approach is a serious safety violation...

^^^ I dread the -600s.  They still have the cramped old seating.

Paris in the spring? You can with WestJet Rewards

WestJet today announced the expansion of their reciprocal frequent flyer agreement with Delta Air Lines to include redemption of WestJet dollars on new select Delta routes including Paris, Tokyo, Rome, Madrid, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Sydney (Australia). Delta SkyMiles Members can now redeem miles anywhere WestJet flies.

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1221

Was just reading in WestJets Facebook page that they will be starting up a new ULCC by the end of this year. 

1 hour ago, 9924 said:

Was just reading in WestJets Facebook page that they will be starting up a new ULCC by the end of this year. 

WestJet announces intent to launch ultra-low-cost carrier

CALGARY, April 20, 2017 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced its intention to launch a new, ultra-low-cost carrier (ULCC) in Canada subject to agreement with its pilots and any required regulatory approvals. Service is expected to start in late 2017 with an initial fleet of 10 high-density Boeing 737-800s designed by the airline that first brought low-cost air travel to Canada in 1996. The ULCC will provide Canadians with no-frills, lower-cost travel options.

"We have built WestJet from its low-cost, regional roots into a renowned, international airline with service to 21 countries and today it's all about disrupting at the price-sensitive end of the market," said Clive Beddoe, co-founder of WestJet and Chair of the Board of the Directors. "Launching a ULCC will broaden WestJet's growth opportunities and open new market segments by offering more choice to those Canadians looking for lower fares."

"The worldview on low-cost airlines has changed since the launch of WestJet in 1996 and we are responding," commented Gregg Saretsky, WestJet President and CEO. "The complete unbundling of services and products in order to lower fares for the price-sensitive traveller has created the ULCC category and our new airline will provide Canadians a pro-competitive, cheap and cheerful flying experience from a company with a proven track record."

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1227

2 people like this

59 minutes ago, TheAverageJoe said:

WestJet announces intent to launch ultra-low-cost carrier

That is interesting to hear and I wonder where they would fly with this airline. 

I could see them providing service between major domestic hubs (Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto) for a start. The original WestJet did something like that too when they inaugurated in the 90's. Though this time it wouldn't surprise me if they did the same thing NewLeaf did and used lower cost airports such as Abbotsford and Hamilton.

2 hours ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

That is interesting to hear and I wonder where they would fly with this airline. 

Expect them to try and put New Leaf out of business. They also been trying to hit Porter's bottom line too. I would also expect them to run it like Rouge. More vacation spots and lower frills/cost.

On April 20, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Nick B said:

I could see them providing service between major domestic hubs (Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto) for a start. The original WestJet did something like that too when they inaugurated in the 90's. Though this time it wouldn't surprise me if they did the same thing NewLeaf did and used lower cost airports such as Abbotsford and Hamilton.

WS started with Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg flying in frequent triangle routes, for example one plane would fly from Edmonton to Kelowna to Vancouver to Edmonton to Calgary to Winnipeg - so multiple stops for even short sectors were the norm.  Ah, those were the days :)

Two things I'll be curious about ...

1)  Will the Econo fares on WestJet and Encore start to sneak up a little bit after this new entity takes to the skies?  Or will there be fewer seat sales such as YLW-YVR or YEG for $69 taxes in?

2) Exactly how "no frills" are they going to go?  In all honesty, once you start adding some of the necessary perks such as carry-on -  there isn't much of a savings in many cases.

Make that 3 things ...

3) If they service same airports as the mainline WS, will they have dedicated airport counters/staff or just use the regular ones.  Also, will this entity be integrated to my WS app?

Hmmmm ;)

1 person likes this

On April 20, 2017 at 10:31 AM, TheAverageJoe said:

I would also expect them to run it like Rouge. More vacation spots and lower frills/cost.

And lower *cough cough* wages.