Fort McMurray aka Wood Buffalo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Was just browsing through APC, and noticed that Wood Buffalo has put out a tender for 8 new 40' buses for this year, with option to renew the contract for up to 2 additional one year terms. All have to be low floor, minimum 41 seated passenger, with bicycle racks, in solid white color. They specified the buses are to use Luminator Horizon signs and will have a full PA system for the driver to communicate with passengers, including an exterior mounted speaker, and 3 cameras mounted inside the bus. Delivery by December 1011

Was just browsing through APC, and noticed that Wood Buffalo has put out a tender for 8 new 40' buses for this year, with option to renew the contract for up to 2 additional one year terms. All have to be low floor, minimum 41 seated passenger, with bicycle racks, in solid white color. They specified the buses are to use Luminator Horizon signs and will have a full PA system for the driver to communicate with passengers, including an exterior mounted speaker, and 3 cameras mounted inside the bus. Delivery by December 1011

Hmm.. I don't believe the 40 foot LFR can have up to 41 seats. Xcelsiors possibly? I don't remember the maximum seating in Orion VII or Nova LFS 40 footers.

Interesting news ... I would imagine that the 8 are to replace the remaining Classics. According to a fleet list that I obtained via CUTA for Wood Buffalo, only 8 Classics remain, 1945-46 (ex-Utah) and 3522-27 (ex-Santa Monica). I am not sure about 1945 because when I was up there in 2009, it sure did not look active as parts were starting to be cannabilized off of it. It is still listed on their active roster though which is confusing to say the least.

• 1 month later...
Interesting news ... I would imagine that the 8 are to replace the remaining Classics. According to a fleet list that I obtained via CUTA for Wood Buffalo, only 8 Classics remain, 1945-46 (ex-Utah) and 3522-27 (ex-Santa Monica). I am not sure about 1945 because when I was up there in 2009, it sure did not look active as parts were starting to be cannabilized off of it. It is still listed on their active roster though which is confusing to say the least.

actually we have 10 new. 8 bought by city 2 by diversified. Xelciers. Pure Garbage. Noisy to drive and poor heating. I prefer driving the MCI's.

numbers of new buses are 1965-75 last years were the better buses but flyers in general are garbage for Fort Mc Murrray.

Retired buses this year are 3522( a california buss just bought last year) thing never ran..actually for the most part none of them run.1928,1927,1990,1989.

and theis one 1953 is down but not out.

Oh ya 1945 is no more either.

1299549665815.jpg

Retired buses this year are 3522( a california buss just bought last year) thing never ran..actually for the most part none of them run.1928,1927,1990,1989.

and theis one 1953 is down but not out.

Actually, bus 3522 was bought at the end of 2008 and entered service in 2009. Attached is a shot that I took of it in June 2009.

Wood_Buffalo_Transit_3522___18JUN09.jpg

Actually, bus 3522 was bought at the end of 2008 and entered service in 2009. Attached is a shot that I took of it in June 2009.

you're right. they were purchased by Diversified in nov 2008 but never saw the streets till 2009 due to us having to put on daytime running lights and fixing the heat in them as they were never turned on in california. Either way it didnt last that long. Thinking 3525 will be next.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are a few shots I took via cell phone while I was in Ft. McMurray on Friday. Anyone know what these new buses are in terms of model? Suffice to say they are a New Flyer product but I've never seen them before.

SSPX0648.jpg

SSPX0649.jpg

SSPX0654.jpg

SSPX0650.jpg

SSPX0656.jpg

Here are a few shots I took via cell phone while I was in Ft. McMurray on Friday. Anyone know what these new buses are in terms of model? Suffice to say they are a New Flyer product but I've never seen them before.

The newer buses are still New Flyer D40LFR units. The reason why the headlight setup looks different is that some transit agencies do not like how the bike rack can interfere with the headlight/turn signal setup on a traditional LFR setup. So New Flyer has modified the headlight/turn signal setup in order to accommodate the bike rack interference issue. Some transit agencies simply choose to get different bike racks that are off set, some transit agencies ignore the minor interference and some get the modification.

Here is another example, from Whistler, BC.

bctransit_1001.jpg

Interesting, those HVAC units look smaller than usual.

Not only do they look smaller but they are also in a different location than the usual D40LF or D40LFR. That was why I had to ask about model of coach for those ones. I still find it wierd to see a D40LF with out and HVAC or something like that on the roof like those older D40LF's. Part of me thought they might have tried to bring back a coach that Community Transit in Metro Seattle uses but not many others use. I can't remember what that model is at the moment but I'm sure it will come to me soon.

• Board Admin

Yeah, in 2010 they started using a different Thermo King unit, and it is offset much closer to the front. Not sure if this is due to the EPA2010 regulations and having some other equipment in that area.

Example from Red Deer Transit of a 2010 D40LFR with a "regular" sized unit.

Red_Deer_Transit_864.jpg

Not only do they look smaller but they are also in a different location than the usual D40LF or D40LFR. That was why I had to ask about model of coach for those ones. I still find it wierd to see a D40LF with out and HVAC or something like that on the roof like those older D40LF's. Part of me thought they might have tried to bring back a coach that Community Transit in Metro Seattle uses but not many others use. I can't remember what that model is at the moment but I'm sure it will come to me soon.

It would be the 1995 model, but later in couple of years on the D40LF with rear window must have a rooftop heater due to equipment that needs to have proper function during cold winter. Otherwise, order a rear heater equipment when w/o rear window.

The problem is that, the heater is very weak during cold winter. I remember I had a chat with one of the Thunder Bay staff, he remembers driving it when it was new, after 8 hours on cold winter, he was nearly and along with the rest have nearly frozed to death! The same goes to passengers. In 2002, after only 7 years old, it had to be rebuild with Wabaso and install the rooftop heater shortly, not all of them.

Yeah, in 2010 they started using a different Thermo King unit, and it is offset much closer to the front. Not sure if this is due to the EPA2010 regulations and having some other equipment in that area.

Example from Red Deer Transit of a 2010 D40LFR with a "regular" sized unit.

It has to do with the EPA 2010, and this is a new HVAC due to both EPA and easier for mechanics for easier access. This is new standard!

As mention, the Fort McMurry D40LFR 2010 are just heater only. Interesting to see what is like, and FFT doesn't need HVAC, summer is gotta be cool up there.

Would like to see what's like on the Xcelsior with hear rooftop only if anyone orders it.

you're right. they were purchased by Diversified in nov 2008 but never saw the streets till 2009 due to us having to put on daytime running lights and fixing the heat in them as they were never turned on in california. Either way it didnt last that long. Thinking 3525 will be next.

Just wondering how many Classics are still active in Fort McMurray as of May and what are their numbers? thank you~~

Just wondering how many Classics are still active in Fort McMurray as of May and what are their numbers? thank you~~

well, when I go into the barn I see nothing that resembles a classic but I assure you there are a few that should have been retired. There is just no need for them. I.e 1946,1945,1928 or any of the 3500 series excluding 3522 which was retired if I'm not mistaken. I can check for exact models if u like but as of now only 7 buses are not dl flyers. And it would have been nice if they gave us an ac unit in the new buses to justify the horrible noise they make. but no, it's just heat and very poor heat too. I refuse to drive the new buses. I'll take the 09 flyers anyday.

well, when I go into the barn I see nothing that resembles a classic but I assure you there are a few that should have been retired. There is just no need for them. I.e 1946,1945,1928 or any of the 3500 series excluding 3522 which was retired if I'm not mistaken. I can check for exact models if u like but as of now only 7 buses are not dl flyers. And it would have been nice if they gave us an ac unit in the new buses to justify the horrible noise they make. but no, it's just heat and very poor heat too. I refuse to drive the new buses. I'll take the 09 flyers anyday.
So u mean 7 classics still left in the fleet? I am looking for the 3500 series ex Santa Monica's ones, all retired but one still active? Thank you

• 1 month later...
So u mean 7 classics still left in the fleet? I am looking for the 3500 series ex Utah ones, all retired but one still active? Thank you

I was doing an oilsands shuttle in town yesterday and spotted 4 Classics outside of Father Mercredi H.S. around 3pm. Couldn't get the number for the first one but the rest were: 3522, 3525 & 3526.

June 21 revision: Met 3527 on the road today with a mechanic behind the wheel.

JC