hl7534

Shocking / disturbing things you have witnessed on transit

I witnessed several odd things when I lived in DC and rode WMATA regularly.

-On the bus routes in my neighborhood, we would occasionally get a few crazies riding the bus to a local mental outpatient facility. Some of these guys were insane. I remember the time when one of them was talking out loud to himself about his imaginary villain "slim Jim", and how he wanted to violently stab him to death. Everybody tried to move to the front of the bus, and of course he got off and went to the looney bin.

-Another time, I was riding the Red Line through Northeast DC on my way home from school, when a  normal sight on the subway in that part of town sparked a violent fight. Several teenagers ran up to the train as the doors were closing,  and held them open so they could all get on. This is annoying for the train operator, but it happens quite frequently. An older man who was about 40 got extremely angry at them. After yelling expletives at them, one of the teens said fight me. At that point the older guy pulled out a knife and tried to stab the teen (who luckily was wearing a thick winter coat). I think the fight moved into the next car. When the train reached the next stop, everybody in the car got off or moved to a different car. Someone I knew called the cops, but the guy with the knife escaped at Noma Gallaudet, while the cops were waiting at Union Station. 

- I could also go on about how the Green Line's name makes sense, given how many times I've seen people smoking blunts on it. 

Earlier today I was riding the subway and at Davisville a scruffy looking person got on and was facing an empty seat, but didn't sit. His butt crack was showing and he was pretty much half mooning the car. Fortunately he got off at St. Clair.

I've seen many things in my years of riding COTA from the usual stuff to the outrageous. But this is the most unusual one of them all.

For a few weeks during the summer a few years ago on Wednesdays on my way home on route 10 from a summer job I had, a group of teens who apparently liked to dress up and look like gothic vampires would board the bus at the same stop downtown and sit in the back of the bus. Something felt off about this group and other passengers also felt nervous around them. Over the weeks that summer the bus got emptier and emptier the day the group of teens rode the bus. One day I was half asleep in the back of the bus as the bus was fuller then normal, but when the teens got on almost everyone else got off at the next stop which I assumed was to catch their transfers. The teens moved to the back and one of the girls in the group sat next to me and even put her arm around me for a while. Nothing else happened that day but the next week I had fallen asleep on the bus after I got on. The same group of teens got on and again the same girl had sat beside me again but this time I was asleep and didn't know she was there. When the bus neared my stop, she woke me up and whispered in my ear "You almost missed your stop". For a few more weeks on Wednesdays Id see the same group get on and the same girl would sit beside me and do nothing aside from her putting her arm around me now and then. However on the last Wednesday in August only the girl got on and once again sat beside me once more. Nothing much happened but when the bus got near my stop she once again whispered in my ear "Thanks for letting me sit next to you for the last few weeks, I enjoyed keeping you company and I do apologize if I made you feel uncomfortable in any way." I got off the bus at my stop and hurried home as fast as I could.

After that I never saw the girl or any of her friends again. 

5 hours ago, MCTAbus said:

I've seen many things in my years of riding COTA from the usual stuff to the outrageous. But this is the most unusual one of them all.

For a few weeks during the summer a few years ago on Wednesdays on my way home on route 10 from a summer job I had, a group of teens who apparently liked to dress up and look like gothic vampires would board the bus at the same stop downtown and sit in the back of the bus. Something felt off about this group and other passengers also felt nervous around them. Over the weeks that summer the bus got emptier and emptier the day the group of teens rode the bus. One day I was half asleep in the back of the bus as the bus was fuller then normal, but when the teens got on almost everyone else got off at the next stop which I assumed was to catch their transfers. The teens moved to the back and one of the girls in the group sat next to me and even put her arm around me for a while. Nothing else happened that day but the next week I had fallen asleep on the bus after I got on. The same group of teens got on and again the same girl had sat beside me again but this time I was asleep and didn't know she was there. When the bus neared my stop, she woke me up and whispered in my ear "You almost missed your stop". For a few more weeks on Wednesdays Id see the same group get on and the same girl would sit beside me and do nothing aside from her putting her arm around me now and then. However on the last Wednesday in August only the girl got on and once again sat beside me once more. Nothing much happened but when the bus got near my stop she once again whispered in my ear "Thanks for letting me sit next to you for the last few weeks, I enjoyed keeping you company and I do apologize if I made you feel uncomfortable in any way." I got off the bus at my stop and hurried home as fast as I could.

After that I never saw the girl or any of her friends again. 

Lmao wut?

5 hours ago, MCTAbus said:

"Thanks for letting me sit next to you for the last few weeks, I enjoyed keeping you company and I do apologize if I made you feel uncomfortable in any way." I

At least she was nice about it.

After reading almost all of the posts here, I feel compelled to share my experience of riding the Honolulu C&C's TheBus in Hawaii. These experiences mostly span back to when I attended Honolulu Community College, and most of these occurred on the Route 1.

Somewhere in the autumn of 2013 (I started community college on this year), I think I had one female bus driver make a rude comment about how I was cheap to use the bus pass I got from the cc. This was upon boarding on one of the D60LFs that she operated on and showing her the pass. I brushed it off anyways. The operator looked like she was formerly homeless.

Somewhere in the spring of 2014, I boarded onto a crowded DE60LFR and sat at the near end to do some Calculus I homework. This one lady who sat at the end was super-pissed (looked like some sort of break-up in a relationship) and threw her phone down to the ground out of anger. One guy tried to pick it up for her, but she yelled at him not to. Another guy to my right tried to look back to see what the commotion was all about, and was also yelled at. I ignored all of it, but it made me slightly pissed off when I got to the cc. Thinking about it, I felt like having me and a group of people throw her out of the bus by force if she didn't behave. 

In the fall of 2014, I got on a DE60LF (Route 1 again) from Hawaii Kai towards home. Upon going to the back of the bus, I sensed a foul odor of feces. Turns out that an elderly man crapped himself during his travels. The smell was so strong that it engulfed the 2nd half of the bus. I moved back to the first half - just before the bellows area - and stayed there for the rest of the ride. Even to where I was sitting, the smell is able to reach a small portion of the 1st half of the area. Also in that timeline, I was on Gillig Phantom #853 that was on Route A (eastbound for UH Manoa). As the bus was nearing Ala Moana, I sensed a smell of something deathly. A young adolescent girl crapped herself as she and her mother was about to get off, and the operator had to clean it off with the tissues he had. This is the most recent instance I have with poop on the bus, and hopefully it stays that way.

The spring of 2015 was where I witnessed a cop's stun gun in action for the very first time - in person. I was on DE60LF #140 on Route 1L (eastbound for Hawaii Kai) when a middle-age guy rushed himself into the bus. Operator had to get up to check if the guy had any bus passes on him. The operator had to anchor the bus at the King Street + University Avenue bus stop. Half a minute later, two officers boarded onto the bus to interrogate him. The man was emotionally distraught, and switched to three different areas of the bus. All passengers (including me) got off. The guy put up a bit of a fight, trying to get the cops off of him. He did an uppercut to one of the officers in the chin, but said officer quickly recovered. To conclude the struggle, the other officer deployed the stun gun on him while the suspect tried to flee southbound on University Avenue. Another operator that was nearby to the current operator's run was notified about the incident, and had to fill in from his regular run on Kahala Mall service as the replacement service for the Hawaii Kai run. I don't think anything in my experience can top that one off. It remains the most memorable as a flashbulb memory. 

One day somewhere in the fall of 2015/spring of 2016, I witnessed an aftermath of a car accident while on my way home on the Route 1 eastbound. One of the vehicles involved was a taxi. The rear of the taxi was totalled and the rear bumper looked like it was shredded off. This happened near the intersection of King Street + Isenberg Street. 

Lastly in the spring of 2017, I was onboard Gillig Advantage #20 on Route 414 (now discontinued) in Kapolei for the sake of getting some footage. A drunk guy had to delay the bus for a few minutes because of typical drunk behavior. The operator and some passengers had to plead him to get off, and so he did. No either incidents after that. Granted that this took place around 4:30 p.m., I think it's a bit early for him to get wasted after happy hour. 

I will update this post if I miss something.

Edited by Rotidua

One time, I was riding my 176 back home. I am standing at the front. I see people sitting on the priority seats, and a stroller comes on. Nobody got up even after being told by the operator. The stroller had to be in the aisle, almost completely blocking the front entrance.

Recently, at an Elk Grove, CA Transit Bus, someone decided to pull a prank by popping a stink bomb in the bus, a 2008 Orion VII. After that, we all decided to move to a different bus, a 2015-17 New Flyer XN40.

I got boarded a 100% packed Nova LFS once doing a subway shuttle and two homeless people with a dog got on. Now normally, this wouldn't be an issue or anything very notable, but one of them passed out in the front of the bus right next to the farebox and wouldn't wake up so it was a bit difficult trying to walk around/over him to get out the front door

• Like 1

I was on board a TTC Flexity car leaving Dufferin Gate loop and at the corner of Dufferin and King, while waiting for the turn onto the latter, a man and a woman (let's call them A and BB)) approached the stopped streetcar to board. And first the operator used the external PA to inform A and B that the stop was out of service (as clearly indicated by the message attached to the post), but they seemed to ignore the broadcast and instead approached the front door, pushing the button to open it, when the operator actually got out of his seat and opened the side window to speak to them. I could not make out their exact words, but thankfully, this only delayed my trip for about a minute or two, but the fact that the stop was not relocated (instead recommending riders to walk 200 metres south to the stop at Liberty Street) might have really irked A and B out.

• Like 1

Years ago, I was riding in the later evening on a pretty empty Gloucester train (which would be the original red Toronto subway cars). There were only a couple of other passengers on my car. A guy, late teens, maybe early twenties, gets on. He didn't look quite as scruffy on first look as he did when I took a better look at him....

So he bends down, picks up a piece of gum from the subway car floor, pulls out various things that were stuck in it, and, satisfied, pops it in his mouth and starts chewing happily....

😛

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Years ago, I was riding in the later evening on a pretty empty Gloucester train (which would be the original red Toronto subway cars). There were only a couple of other passengers on my car. A guy, late teens, maybe early twenties, gets on. He didn't look quite as scruffy on first look as he did when I took a better look at him....

So he bends down, picks up a piece of gum from the subway car floor, pulls out various things that were stuck in it, and, satisfied, pops it in his mouth and starts chewing happily....

😛

Gotta love the 1980's

12 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Ah yes..ABC Gum = Already Been Chewed.  😄

• Haha 2

i got on a novaTTC just a few days ago and an elderly lady in a wheelchair pulls out a cigarette and starts smoking on the bus. And then a few stops down, a gentleman on the back of the bus is pouring a whole tall can of Carling light onto the floor. disgusting 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While riding the 41 route (9142) today, one black lady was arguing about something to her friend or relative I think, she also wanted the driver to move the bus I believe. Thank god she and her friend or relative got off at Wilson ave