CN Locos

A. Wong

• 3 weeks later...

Had an E-xcellent time today.

DSC00583.jpg

Sun wasn't fully out when we first started shooting this beauty. Then, we had full sunlight, but, there was a shadow from a pole... so, we waited until the shadow of the pole was on the black.

DSC00645.jpg

Looks like the cab might have been repainted. Darker red than usual.

DSC00651.jpg

Random pair of GE's.

DSC00671.jpg

1409 smoking up a storm.

Wow, the GMD-1's are actually getting rare around there. I believe 1409 is the only one left in Edmonton. Even GP-9's as common as they once were, with hump GP38-2's usually doing yard work mixed with with other GP38-2's. Don't get me wrong... you can still see GP-9's around, they're just not doing practically all of the switching as they once did.

DSC04171.jpgDSC04183.jpgDSC04191.jpgDSC04206.jpg

These pics were from back in December. CN 4782 and 4767 switching Edmonton Exchanger on the Strathcona Industrial branch in south Edmonton. The CN gondola has a rack for holding those sheets of steel and has a note it is only for use to Edmonton Exchanger. While a lot of the Strathcona Industrial branch has been removed west of 91 St, Edmonton Exchanger actually had a line built into their plant a number of years ago. I've only ever caught this job a few times. I believe this is my 3rd time in the last 10 years. I did briefly chat with the crew... they actually had a replacement crew arrive at that grade crossing. This job usually runs at night. They were none to pleased to not have a belt pack unit and none to pleased with the locomotives overall.

Post #2.

This pics go back a few months.

DSC03481.jpg

7514 with 1409 switching a chemical plant. This was actually the day was chased a train to Westlock. Saw 7514 again today, still sporting the pylon on the short hood. Note the nice shiny pilot. I believe there's a photo on earlier from earlier on with a based up pilot.

DSC03850.jpgDSC03853.jpg
This was on a different day, although, it was close to where we shot 7514.

DSC03884.jpg
Looks like this GE got a bit warm.

DSC03888.jpg
I've always enjoyed catching these low 5300's... given their number match up with some of the GM New Look model numbers.

DSC04043.jpgDSC04049.jpg

A bit of a mix bag of power here.

I've seen quite a few going along the Grimsby sub in Hamilton, I guess coming up from the states to Toronto. Nice and shiny.

GE at Erie, PA to Buffalo on NS; Buffalo to Fort Erie on NS H69 transfer; Fort Erie to Torornto on CN 422.

If you see them, please report them... several of the last batch of 2800's got thru unnoticed...

GE at Erie, PA to Buffalo on NS; Buffalo to Fort Erie on NS H69 transfer; Fort Erie to Torornto on CN 422.

If you see them, please report them... several of the last batch of 2800's got thru unnoticed...

Oh and that note... expect 3030, 3031-3033 on 422 tomorrow!

Ended up out in Wainwright today...

DSC00738.jpg

5280 with 2 other SD40-2(W)'s just east of the Scotford yard. This was taken from a moving vehicle.

DSC00744.jpg

5250 was the second unit... not looking too bad!

DSC00765.jpg

Another threw the windshield grab shot, this time in Vermillion.

At this point we headed south towards Wainwright to see if some ex VIA F units were still kicking around. We hadn't seen much in the way of trains other than 2508 in NE Edmonton, and missed a westbound train west of Vermillion.

DSC00891.jpg

Did find a Pte. St. Charles caboose in Vermillion with a CWR train. I haven't seen many cabooses, and certainly not one with the yellow coupla for international service.

DSC00938.jpgDSC00947.jpg

Heading back towards Edmonton, we did catch 1 train in marginal sunlight.

And by now sunlight was gone but high ISO, low F stop and slow shutter speeds did lend themselves to some shots.

DSC01004.jpgDSC01050.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Oh there was more to that detour than that stop. Checked out Ferrier, PWT, Wajax, Lambton Park Yard, Alta Steel, and then this stop. Oh and we went by the PWT yard on 17 street too. Hoped to catch this same lashup at the crossing further south too, but they were too slow and it was getting late.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...