Sign in to follow this  
A. Wong

Downtime soon / Wiki Discussion

To Wiki or Not To Wiki?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. To Wiki or Not To Wiki?

• Yes
    • No

Most wikis have a rollback feature, so if someone screws up the page with inaccurate information, admins can just revert it back to its previous state. This is one of the reasons why wikis may take up a bit of space.

It's your call, of course, but I wonder if requiring admins to get involved for rollbacks may be more overhead than you'd want. I can certainly see getting involved if an edit war gets started, but when someone makes an innocent mistake that someone else notices?

But as I said, it's your call.

If you get a wiki set up, I'll move the content that's currently on the (broken) Vancouver one over. I haven't had good luck with MediaWiki since it has "BO"ed 2 times with no obvious reason, and I'm probably just going to reinstall it for the 3rd time when I get back from my vacation. I'm not sure why it's behaving like that since there's another site on the same server with MediaWiki working perfectly fine, and also other larger sites run MediaWiki with no problem. (If this wiki idea doesn't go through, then I'll still continue to host a wiki for the Vancouver area anyway)

Regarding DavidH's comment, the advantage of a wiki is that anybody can "rollback" mischievous additions, not just "admins". Each revision of a page is saved and is publicly viewable, so anything that may be accidentally removed can be re-added.

to have it done in such a way that you dont need to re-register, you may need to make major changes to the forum.
Someone already did the hard work, and luckily they have a free version. :lol:

If you get a wiki set up, I'll move the content that's currently on the (broken) Vancouver one over. I haven't had good luck with MediaWiki since it has "BO"ed 2 times with no obvious reason, and I'm probably just going to reinstall it for the 3rd time when I get back from my vacation. I'm not sure why it's behaving like that since there's another site on the same server with MediaWiki working perfectly fine, and also other larger sites run MediaWiki with no problem. (If this wiki idea doesn't go through, then I'll still continue to host a wiki for the Vancouver area anyway)

Regarding DavidH's comment, the advantage of a wiki is that anybody can "rollback" mischievous additions, not just "admins". Each revision of a page is saved and is publicly viewable, so anything that may be accidentally removed can be re-added.

Yeah - I mean Wikipedia (probably the largest wiki out there) is run on that software.

Do you know if the rollbacks can be restricted to just admins?

Do you know if the rollbacks can be restricted to just admins?

Not sure, but it's probably worth pointing out that the more general question here is: is there any way to restrict access to markup for old page versions? The reason is that in Mediawiki, a rollback is done simply by clicking Edit on a past version and then saving it.

Even without the ability to get back to old versions, you can still "revert", in a fashion, by editing the current version of the page appropriately. For example, if someone edited delivery information for an order, I could still change it by re-editing the same information. Such is the nature of a wiki, of course. The "official" rollback mechanism just makes it faster to deal with vandalism, that's all.

On the TWiki software (different from MediaWiki but should be similar), you cannot edit previous revisions - only what's currently showing. This creates a new revision.

While I'm on vacation, I've been developing my own wiki script which will be like Mediawiki without all the bloat. I'm trying to make it easier to make roster "indices". For example, the roster details like images, paint scheme, ad wraps, etc will all be saved on a page for each bus, and on a special page, the data from all the buses in a specific model will be listed in a summary without having to edit the index listing, and also the bus detail page. If I get this done, I might use that for the Vancouver wiki.

Most of them are free. :angry:

Sorry everyone, I just haven't had time to commence the move...